Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Dallas is going to be around next year, arguably in a better position with Pavelski earning less. Vegas is still going to be a handful. And while EDM is pretty close to being wrote off they have McDrai and VAN with Demko could easily steal a series.

And that's ignoring whatever team makes it out from the East. I get why we need to dump Nuke, but I just think losing Nuke for Drouin + $2-3 mil still makes this team significantly worse.

But either option carries risk. Running it back you're gambling on staying healthy and hoping the team finds another spark and other teams getting injured. A re-tool has a higher pay-off, but also a bigger chance of blowing up.
I don’t know about better but they’ll still be very deep for another year. They have around 14 million in space. They have 10 forwards signed (Dutchy is a UFA and Pavs probably retires), need a backup, and only have 3 of their regulars on D signed. Harley needs an extension, Tanev probably walks and needs replacing (though they might give him a ticking timebomb contract) and they need a bottom pairing guy plus extras.

Johnston will need an extension the year after that will eat up most (or more) of the drop in Benn’s contract and Lindell will need an extension that year as well. So does Bourque but he’ll need a huge showing next year for that to be an issue. Seguin’s last year is a killer since it’s one year past the Stankoven extension

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think the big thing is that you need to acquire guys that fit the mould you mentioned, but that will really battle it out when the going gets tough. Seeing MacK and Rants quit on plays because things weren’t easy was insanely frustrating.

I also think you absolutely need to acquire forwards with high defensive acumen. The guys that may not score, but you put them out there and you know you’re going to have a solid shift where they just frustrate the hell out of the opposing teams best players.
If there is a Mikko trade I wonder how hard it would be to go back to Buffalo and get Dylan Cozens? Could do a sign and trade. Helps Buffalo clear their center jam a bit...Mikko and Tage could be literally unstoppable together as a top line.

Cozens is signed long term for much less than Mikko will make. I think you play him as your #2 with Mittens as the #3 center, shoot Colton to the moon. You can also move one of Mittens/Cozens up to wing the lineup for more firepower. Avs would probably have to cheap out pretty hard on the wings but that's fine you now have three big time play drivers at center.

Reactions: davalanche96

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
6M for a PPG top line goal scorer with good two-way game, I think there'll be takers. Assuming that he plans to keep playing after his suspension is served.
6.125M X 6 years for a guy with known cocaine issues. They don't want him for the same reason that we no longer want him.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
6.125M X 6 years for a guy with known cocaine issues. They don't want him for the same reason that we no longer want him.
Yet the Avs did keep him when it happened the first time. He's a worthy risk for any team who needs a second life for their aging core.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the big thing is that you need to acquire guys that fit the mould you mentioned, but that will really battle it out when the going gets tough. Seeing MacK and Rants quit on plays because things weren’t easy was insanely frustrating.

I also think you absolutely need to acquire forwards with high defensive acumen. The guys that may not score, but you put them out there and you know you’re going to have a solid shift where they just frustrate the hell out of the opposing teams best players.
Yeah, that's why I looked at Lawson Crouse from Utah. I would also be ok with targeting, in no particular order:

Adrian Kempe
Shane Pinto/Ridley Greig combo
Travis Konecny

I think you have to find a way to save some money and target a player or players that will thrive in this system. Konecny is a guy I think Bednar would love in the mould of Lehkonen, while Pinto/Greig would make our team faster and nastier to play against while also adding underrated skill.
If there is a Mikko trade I wonder how hard it would be to go back to Buffalo and get Dylan Cozens? Could do a sign and trade. Helps Buffalo clear their center jam a bit...Mikko and Tage could be literally unstoppable together as a top line.

Cozens is signed long term for much less than Mikko will make. I think you play him as your #2 with Mittens as the #3 center, shoot Colton to the moon. You can also move one of Mittens/Cozens up to wing the lineup for more firepower. Avs would probably have to cheap out pretty hard on the wings but that's fine you now have three big time play drivers at center.
Cozens is one of the dumbest hockey players I have ever watched. All he tries to do is dangle every single player, doesn't matter where it is - front of his net, center ice, in the zone 1-on-3. He never met a dangle he didn't like. Bednar would hate him like he hated Zadorov near the end of Z's tenure here.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I honestly think that if they insist on playing this too heavy, dependent on transition offense style, they need to get an all world goalie that boosts the teams confidence
Idk if it's the goalie, honestly. The Avs have always been their most successful when they can come at you with wave after wave of attack. The top two lines have to be able to generate offensively and the bottom two lines have to be able to skate you to death and not be defensive liabilities.

It's why trading Mikko Rantanen makes the most logical sense in order to develop three really good lines over one great, one good and one average line.

I'm going to be living in fantasyland all Summer because I want him traded to improve the rest of the team but I know there's a less than 1% chance it actually happens.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
For shits and giggles, you trade Rantanen for Crouse and Guenther you could re-sign Drouin for 4M, Mittelstadt for 6M, and sign Ritchie to an ELC and run

Drouin - MacKinnon - Crouse
Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - Guenther
Landeskog - Colton - Ritchie
Wood - XXX - LOC

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens - XXX

Georgiev
Annunen

Wagner
Jones

And you would have ~7M in cap space to find a 4C and 3RD. Maybe shave 2M off if you think the Nichushkin cap hit would be there for contract termination.

Reactions: NMAvsman

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
In the end, we had a very good TDL on paper. On ice it only showed in Round 1. Beside Mittelstadt there was Walker, who i thought could be a keeper the way he played at the beginning, fall of a cliff, Duhaime was meeeh. Out of our new guys, i only could see Trenin in our bottom 6 for longer, but he will price himself out. Mittelstadt will be signed.

Thats not on MacFarland, to be clear. He went out and did everyhting he could and brought in help.

It was this russian idiot who played a major role in killling his team again in two years and our supposed leaders basically nowhere to be seen beside game 1 and, imho, with a lack of motivation once the going gets tough. Its one thing to beat Winnipeg, but a whole other story to beat Dallas.

And i really think we need a major change regarding our coaches. We were outcoached badly in this series- That start with the boss and goes on with his assistants. No real answer in 6 games. Bednar wont get fired yet. Thats not how Sakic and this org operates... But please, for the love of god, bring in some new assistants, young, hungry. Like Danny Hinote for example.......

And last, but not least: Alexander Georgiev had only 1 real stinker-game. He was by far NOT the reason we lost to Dallas. I mean, he did everyting he could last night to keep his team in the game. So Georgiev, in the end, was not the problem. Not at all.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This could go on so many threads around here, but I guess this is the most appropriate one. The amount of doom and gloom about the window shutting, how it's just mediocrity from now on forward... Give your head a shake. We lost against the best team in the West. And damn near took it to G7. Without our best playoff performer. The margins in the NHL are extremely thin. There might be years when your team is 10% stronger than the other year, 10% weaker than the other year. But even the team that is supposedly weaker can go all the way if the stars align. This is the most unpredictable league there is. Before the year, you can probably name around 10 contenders, yet still usually there is at least one surprise team in the conference finals. I'm looking at Vancouver here. The "cup window" isn't something that just opens up once and then shuts down after a certain time. It constantly flashes open and closes depending on the year. Dallas has never done a full rebuild, just worked around the edges and have had some luck with their picks. Many said they were done a few years ago, and here we are. Florida, a lot of people thought they were never going anywhere with Barkov. Well, they did do some major re-tooling in acquiring Tkachuck and hired Maurice, now they seem to be heading for their 2nd cup final in a row after bowing out multiple times in the 1st round. New York? A lot of people said last year was the best chance they had, and things have just continued to improve for them. Look at their roster, they have good pieces and probably the best goalie in the world. But it's not some super team.

What I'm getting at, is that as long as you can build around MacKinnon and Makar, you have an extremely solid foundation. The best D-man in the world and the 2nd best center in the world is a damn good place to start, and saying you don't have a window with those two is ludicrous. This offseason will be hard, but even if the team takes a step back in paper for next year, that doesn't mean that our "window" is somehow shut. Who knows, maybe trying a different look will actually work better.

Still too early to really say what they should do. Some quick thoughts:

- Georgiev deserves his final year, he was solid apart from G1 against WPG.
- Keep Drouin, sign him to another short term deal with low cap hit. That's probably the best option for him too.
- Jack Johnson is fine as a #6 if he's willing to stay for a league minimum.
- The rest of the "established" bottom sixers can go. LOC and some kids, can't afford much more. Bye Cogs, bye Trenin, bye Duhaime.
- You can explore a Rantanen trade, but not that optimistic about the return. It's would be mostly for capspace. And if Rantanen is willing to sign for less than 12mil, you take it.
- Nuke needs to be gone, his full cap hit. Not expecting this to be resolved immediately, but there will be teams interested. Next strike, he's out of the league. He's not that big of a risk contract wise.
- Explore a Ross Colton trade, just for capspace.

Buckle up boys, interesting times ahead! It sucks to lose again, but don't act like the sky is coming down. It's not. We will get another chance to compete for the Cup.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I’m torn on Rantanen.

I’ve been anti-trade Mikko forever, but I also want to make some changes and get younger, and create some cap flexibility.

Colton is on my radar to move too. I think he was a massive disappointment from what I expected. I really thought he was going to completely reshape our bottom-6, but it just didn’t click.

I’d be looking at teams who are up and coming, who have a bunch of young guys and need some vets and see if there’s a match for a trade.

Reactions: LTCPain75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad