Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Montreal Smoked Meat.jpg

Right now have a Brisket curing in the fridge for Montreal Smoked Meat. Need to rinse, let it dry, smoke to 160 internal, fridge overnight then steam to 205 internal for slicing into sandwiches.

This is a pic of last time we did it.

Bit of a process? Eh...it's really nothing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
And Game 6 vs. Detroit in 2006.

Furthermore since that 1992 series referenced. Edmonton's only been in a position to clinch a series at home 5 times and successfully did so 3 of those 5 times.

The first exception was 1997 vs. Dallas up 3-2 they lost Game 6 3-2 before winning Game 7 in Dallas in OT.

The second exception was vs. Anaheim in 2006 where they were up 3-0 with a chance to sweep and they lost 6-3 after Penner scored 2 to help Anaheim get a early 3-0 first period lead. They won Game 5.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That Hemsky goal with a minute left.... :highclap:

That third period as a whole. Hemsky and Pisani each scoring 2 quick goals snuffing out two separate Detroit leads in the third period. Legendary.

how I could I forget...I was there lol

I'll never forget that third period. Sad ending to Yzerman's career, but quite possibly the most exciting period experienced as an Oiler fan since the 3-0 comeback in 1997.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That third period as a whole. Hemsky and Pisani each scoring 2 quick goals snuffing out two separate Detroit leads in the third period. Legendary.

I'll never forget that third period. Sad ending to Yzerman's career, but quite possibly the most exciting period experienced as an Oiler fan between 1998 and 2016.

Whenever I watch the highlights of that game I can't help but wonder if Pisano's second goal would have been ruled offside on review if that occurred today.

Which is why I hate the offside review - if we went into a Time Machine an retroactively applied it you would probably have a ton of different outcomes. Small offsides have been part of the game forever with nobody caring or noticing.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Awesome marketing by the league, showcasing two of its biggest stars in prime viewing slots. I get that hockey viewership in the US is highly based on teams rather than players, and a Canadian team isn’t exciting for them, unless they happen to be a fan of that team, so the only issue I have is if basically no one is watching the game down there, put it on at a decent time in Canada where a lot more non Oiler fans would watch it if it were on earlier. 9PM puck drop is just insulting, at worst have an 8PM drop.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
As someone who was upset the Oilers let him go, and extremely skeptical of hiring mcdavids junior coach and Coffey from the OBC, have to say I'm glad the change was made. Defensively the Oilers are better team most nights.
Jay always has a certain arrogance about him. I don't think he gets another job as soon as some people think.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
As someone who was upset the Oilers let him go, and extremely skeptical of hiring mcdavids junior coach and Coffey from the OBC, have to say I'm glad the change was made. Defensively the Oilers are better team most nights.

That's really the big win. Jay would have got the team going again offensively and they may even be in the exact same spot as they are now (ie 2nd in the Pacific playing first round with home ice) but I'm not so confident the defense would be where they are today.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Awesome marketing by the league, showcasing two of its biggest stars in prime viewing slots. I get that hockey viewership in the US is highly based on teams rather than players, and a Canadian team isn’t exciting for them, unless they happen to be a fan of that team, so the only issue I have is if basically no one is watching the game down there, put it on at a decent time in Canada where a lot more non Oiler fans would watch it if it were on earlier. 9PM puck drop is just insulting, at worst have an 8PM drop.

The 8:30 puck drop on the Sunday was the one that was particularly ridiculous. There was absolutely no reason that the Caps/Rangers game at 6 couldn't have been played earlier in the day like those two teams do literally every weekend so that our game could have been at a reasonable hour.

Same goes for Wednesday. Why do we need to announce an 8pm start time now? It's possible that we will be the only game that night, can we just wait?

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Jay always has a certain arrogance about him. I don't think he gets another job as soon as some people think.
It's tough in sports because sometimes you almost need that swagger. I liked Jay's media response most of the time but I have never met the man to know who he is. I had heard hearsay he was pretty bitter/rude to people that asked about the Oilers after he was fired but who knows. If he doesn't get a coaching position this next year, you would think there might be something to it, as his record was pretty decent.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The 8:30 puck drop on the Sunday was the one that was particularly ridiculous. There was absolutely no reason that the Caps/Rangers game at 6 couldn't have been played earlier in the day like those two teams do literally every weekend so that our game could have been at a reasonable hour.

Same goes for Wednesday. Why do we need to announce an 8pm start time now? It's possible that we will be the only game that night, can we just wait?

Wednesday was confirmed to be at least two games since Saturday. The only question was whether there'd be a third game (FLA/TB) which isn't the case now. Guaranteed if that game had been necessary we still would have been 8:00, the only difference would have been the Stars and Vegas game may have been a 6:30 start instead of 5:30.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
View attachment 862324

Right now have a Brisket curing in the fridge for Montreal Smoked Meat. Need to rinse, let it dry, smoke to 160 internal, fridge overnight then steam to 205 internal for slicing into sandwiches.

This is a pic of last time we did it.

Bit of a process? Eh...it's really nothing.
I have the Rye bread, mustard (yellow and hot) and some sauerkraut.....

Looks great

Reactions: Bobieque

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
That's really the big win. Jay would have got the team going again offensively and they may even be in the exact same spot as they are now (ie 2nd in the Pacific playing first round with home ice) but I'm not so confident the defense would be where they are today.
I bet we lose game 4 with Jay as coach vs Knoblauch, but the offensive numbers would be similar.

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can

Don't think there would have been a way for there to be only 1 game Sunday. Vegas/Dallas would have had to play before us either way.

We are playing a team in the pacific time zone so this will likely exist in the next round too unless the predators comeback (Could also be worse, Nashville has to watch these games at 9:20 PM).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Just more proof that east coasters (even some at TSN and Sportsnet that pretend to be hockey analysts) don’t actually watch the game. Also proof that NHL’s marketing is a joke. And also proof that the LA hockey market is not passionate. Oh and the 8:30 starts have been a dumb idea.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

It wasn't that long ago that we had two games on at the same time on a regular basis. Unless there is an issue with the arena and the other sports or events going on we shouldn't have to these late starts. Not in the first two rounds anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad