Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

From a NYI writer perspective. Still think other pieces could be involved if such a deal is explored. Would Ehlers and Heinola get Pulock and their 1st (#18)??? Would they take Pionk instead for immediate more proven help? Would the Jets consider moving Pionk? Most fan would.

Still uneasy about this whole trade Ehlers idea. Side note, I’m not advocating to trade Ehlers or Heinola. Just throwing ideas out.
I've thrown out the idea of Ehlers and Pionk for Pulock and Nelson. (on the premise that the Jets can't work out a reasonable deal for Ehlers).

From the Jets perspective, if they move Ehlers for Pulock (and are able to re-sign Demelo), adding Pionk makes a ton of sense from a cap management perspective. And subtracting Ehlers is somewhat softened by adding Nelson, which allows Lambert another year either playing C on the Moose, or to play a year (or less) on the wing on the Jets.

For the Islanders, adding Ehlers is a slam dunk as to what they are looking for. With Dobson as their #1 RHD, adding Pionk helps their depth as Mayfield isn't likely suited for the second pair (insert Pionk joke about not being ready either here).

An extension for Ehlers would be required, and both players would need to make sure the other location is not on their NTC.

Pionk and Nelson are both upcoming UFA's so their values are in the same ball park. If both were traded at the TD, you're looking at a Monahan / Lindholm return for Nelson, and something possibly less for Pionk. That difference wouldn't be substantial though.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I've thrown out the idea of Ehlers and Pionk for Pulock and Nelson. (on the premise that the Jets can't work out a reasonable deal for Ehlers).

From the Jets perspective, if they move Ehlers for Pulock (and are able to re-sign Demelo), adding Pionk makes a ton of sense from a cap management perspective. And subtracting Ehlers is somewhat softened by adding Nelson, which allows Lambert another year either playing C on the Moose, or to play a year (or less) on the wing on the Jets.

For the Islanders, adding Ehlers is a slam dunk as to what they are looking for. With Dobson as their #1 RHD, adding Pionk helps their depth as Mayfield isn't likely suited for the second pair (insert Pionk joke about not being ready either here).

An extension for Ehlers would be required, and both players would need to make sure the other location is not on their NTC.
Nelson doesn't seem to be a good enough line driver to carry the entire second line on his back, which is more or less what we have asked from Nik. He'd instantly become our best goal scorer, though. I'd target Pelech instead of Pulock too, despite the handedness issue: Pulock might be a decent RHD, but he doesn't hold a candle to the defensive prowess that Pelech brings. I'd probably run something like:

Morrissey - Samberg
Pelech - myself (it would work with anyone, realistically - Pelech is that good at defense)
Don't - Care
Stanley?
Heinola in the AHL, because why not

Pionk and Nelson are both upcoming UFA's so their values are in the same ball park. If both were traded at the TD, you're looking at a Monahan / Lindholm return for Nelson, and something possibly less for Pionk. That difference wouldn't be substantial though.
That's one of the takes of all time.

Reactions: hn777

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Nelson doesn't seem to be a good enough line driver to carry the entire second line on his back, which is more or less what we have asked from Nik. He'd instantly become our best goal scorer, though. I'd target Pelech instead of Pulock too, despite the handedness issue: Pulock might be a decent RHD, but he doesn't hold a candle to the defensive prowess that Pelech brings. I'd probably run something like:

Morrissey - Samberg
Pelech - myself (it would work with anyone, realistically - Pelech is that good at defense)
Don't - Care
Stanley?

I'd rather have Pelech than Pulock myself but I don't see the Islanders preferring to move him. He's a tad cheaper and better than Pulock. Plus both have an NTC and I think Pulock is more likely to waive than Pelech (though I wouldn't be surprised if the NTC nixes any deal regardless of whether it's Pulock or Pelech).

Reactions: Buffdog

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'd rather have Pelech than Pulock myself but I don't see the Islanders preferring to move him. He's a tad cheaper and better than Pulock. Plus both have an NTC and I think Pulock is more likely to waive than Pelech (though I wouldn't be surprised if the NTC nixes any deal regardless of whether it's Pulock or Pelech).
What, you mean that they want to keep the better defenseman? o_O

And yeah, those full NTCs probably kill any deal that we could come up with. In Pulock's case, that might actually help us. But holy f***, would it be cool to have Samberg and Pelech shutting it down...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
What, you mean that they want to keep the better defenseman? o_O

And yeah, those full NTCs probably kill any deal that we could come up with. In Pulock's case, that might actually help us. But holy f***, would it be cool to have Samberg and Pelech shutting it down...

I understand the giving something to get something idea but I think NYI would value Pelech over Ehlers, even if Ehlers was extended. I don't think a Pionk or Heinola is enough to make up the difference (Pionk may make the gap wider).

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I understand the giving something to get something idea but I think NYI would value Pelech over Ehlers, even if Ehlers was extended. I don't think a Pionk or Heinola is enough to make up the difference (Pionk may make the gap wider).
Probably true. That team is downright allergic to young and dynamic talent (I mean, name all their guys who match the description over the last decade - Barzal and maybe Tavares, that's it?), and on the other hand, Pelech is at minimum a top 5 defenseman in the NHL in his own zone - not many GMs around are getting rid of such players even for a superior player elsewhere in the lineup. Lou Lamoriello, too - that's the entire argument.

Speaking of the Isles, they have Mike Reilly as one of their pending UFAs. Could be a decent 3rd pairing upgrade, although I suspect that he will not be the cheapest one. Great metrics and point production.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Probably true. That team is downright allergic to young and dynamic talent (I mean, name all their guys who match the description over the last decade - Barzal and maybe Tavares, that's it?), and on the other hand, Pelech is at minimum a top 5 defenseman in the NHL in his own zone - not many GMs around are getting rid of such players even for a superior player elsewhere in the lineup. Lou Lamoriello, too - that's the entire argument.

Speaking of the Isles, they have Mike Reilly as one of their pending UFAs. Could be a decent 3rd pairing upgrade, although I suspect that he will not be the cheapest one. Great metrics and point production.

There's only a 2 year difference between Ehlers and Pelech.

I know this hypothetical has revolved around NYI needing offence but given Barzal's usage, would a player like Ehlers be utilized better on that team? I think NYI might be one of the few situations in the league where Ehlers might be worse off.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Morrissey - Samberg
Don't - Care
Stanley?

Ya, let's play Sammy on his off side where he has shown to be not very good.
Oh, and let's get another LHD because we haven't got enough of them.
Also, let's lose Ville to the waiver wire.

Reactions: Mooche and surixon

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Trade Ehlers (re-signed) for Pulock and buy out Schmidt.

Perfetti Scheif Volare
KFC Mono Nino
Iafallo Lowry Apples
Barron Names Gus
Kupari

JMo Pulock
Sammy DD
Ville Pionk
Stanley/Miller

Give Sammy someone he doesn't have to worry about and put Nino on the 2nd line.
If Lambert makes the team out of TC, put Kupari on waivers to be sent down.

Reactions: NA Hockey

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ya, let's play Sammy on his off side where he has shown to be not very good.
Oh, and let's get another LHD because we haven't got enough of them.
Also, let's lose Ville to the waiver wire.
My base scenario is that Heinola doesn't sign with the Jets.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

I’d love to have Nelson on the Jets, but I think from their perspective they want to add Ehlers to their forward group. Subtracting Nelson is just shuffling the deck.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Elite lol

I'm not worried. I like the fact that Chevy is taking a step back. The team as constructed is obviously not good enough so I want them to take their time and make calculated moves

I think it is imperative that we keep DeMelo. We should keep Dillon too, as long as he hasn't priced himself too high. But Dillon is not as necessary as DeMelo.

We can put together a decent left side without Dillon, though I think his physicality would be missed. We have a weak right side even with DeMelo and much weaker without him.

The rest of the UFAs can go or stay. None is critical.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You think that a young defenseman on the cusp of becoming a full-time NHLer ups and quits and head back to Finland?
You're surprised by that comment???

I think Ville will make the team out of TC next year or be traded.
No way he clears waivers, so no way they put him on waivers.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He had a good playoffs from what I saw, is Morrissey's age. Can't imagine he gets anywhere near what he wanted before but he's probably going to have a fairly large amount of suitors.
I'd offer him 7 x 8m if that is what it would take.

Perfetti Scheif Volare
KFC Lindholm Ehlers
is a pretty good top 6.

I doubt that he would sign here though.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think it is imperative that we keep DeMelo. We should keep Dillon too, as long as he hasn't priced himself too high. But Dillon is not as necessary as DeMelo.

We can put together a decent left side without Dillon, though I think his physicality would be missed. We have a weak right side even with DeMelo and much weaker without him.

The rest of the UFAs can go or stay. None is critical.
I agree!!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If Ehlers won't re-sign, I think it's a good move. Dealing from a position of surplus to shore up an area of weakness

If we could also extend Demelo, this is our right side for the foreseeable future - with one year of Pionk as a placeholder for Salo

Pullock
Demelo
Salomonnsson

We then have Lambert and/or Rutger to round out our top 6 winger spots in the near future
No offense... but you think there's more to players than xgf but you're inserting new Yorks pionk into our top pairing

XMR... expected manitobans above replacement... let's sign toews to save us!!!

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

• No offense... but you think there's more to players than xgf but you're inserting new Yorks pionk into our top pairing

XMR... expected manitobans above replacement... let's sign toews to save us!!!
    He isn't "pionk" bad lol

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It hasn't? It avoided us overpaying for Trouba, we still have Heinola which hasn't even begun impacting our lineup yet and we have tons of service left on him. We did get some very good play from pionk and we traded Copp for Morgan Barron and 2 seconds. I think we've done just fine.
Up to this point it is still a bad trade. Trouba has played like a top-pairing d-man up until this past season or so given his struggles. Pionk plays mostly like a bottom-pairing d-man other than one year. As for overpaying, we are just as guilty of that with Pionk as the Rangers are with Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad