Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
8 years a bit long for me , let's not forget that we have 1 of the wors d-squad of the league.

I agree that JackEye can play as a 5-6 th dman there is no doubt but 8 years for that kind of gameplay idk even if the money isnt too harsh.

Id perhaps go for 4 years at 3.25m (max) . He's easier to trade if things change in he future
3.25M will be better on the latter part of an 8-year contract when Montreal looks to keep talent on the roster. Shorttermsavings mean nothing.

Xhekaj will be a playoff warrior. Montreal won't be contending until 2027-2028, when both Gallagher and Anderson are off the books.

Money saved on Xhekaj, along with those two Cap hits off the books will be important regarding the quality of the roster when we are actually contending.

Xhekaj would cost less than Chiarot did for us, as an example, and Xhekaj will have as much of an impact as Chiarot did, at the least.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
3.25M will be better on the latter part of an 8-year contract when Montreal looks to keep talent on the roster. Shorttermsavings mean nothing.

Xhekaj will be a playoff warrior. Montreal won't be contending until 2027-2028, when both Gallagher and Anderson are off the books.

Money saved on Xhekaj, along with those two Cap hits off the books will be important regarding the quality of the roster when we are actually contending.

Xhekaj would cost less than Chiarot did for us, as an example, and Xhekaj will have as much of an impact as Chiarot did, at the least.
agreed. Everyone just has to watch what Zadorov will command as a UFA and, acknowledge that keeping Arber is the way to go. He's as intimidating, a better fighter and can develop an even better offensive game than Zadorov imo

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

I just think that im not willing to lay money to every defs we have. There is a reason why our team sucks defensively.
We want to keep Savard Matheson Guhle JackEye Barron , if we want to upgrade we will have to get rid of some players , but I agree JackEye is a good player to stick around (Guhle also) We just need players like Hutson Maillou or Popcorn dude to make it to the big league.

Id go 4-6 years with the money u said and i would be fine with that. JackEye aint the problem on this team. Wish we had another one to have a beefy heavy duo , been a while since we had one.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I was really enjoying Arber's game before he got hurt again. The one defender we have who knows what holding a line is supposed to look like.
He was definitely starting to look like a top four defender with Guhle playing that right side. He's only going get better IMO. I love when he lets the game come to him instead of chasing it. That's actually hard to do with the man vs man approach we seem to embrace.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Two years at $2.5M. By then we know what he is and can sign him for 8 years at whatever is warranted. Although if he is a bottom pairing guy he isn't getting 8 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scintillating10

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
He has better underlying defensive stats than any other Hab D last season. Playing with other Ds, their stats also improved.

Defensive abilities somewhat lacking is only an impression you have -- why, nobody knows -- but to isn't really supported by any metrics.

I'd sign Xhekaj for 8 years at 3.5M. In the 2nd half of that contract, the salary will be a HUGE bargain, even for a 3rd pairing D if he's not a useless 3rd pairing D -- which he won't be.

If Hughes can get him signed to 3.125M -- for a tidy 25M payday -- even better!
8 year deal for a broken lhd on a team with so many they play Guhle on the right… I’d wait and sort that out first, we’re not talking a top4 guy here (so far anyway).

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I would think that Hughes has a couple of options on the table for The Sherriff....
Personally for me, 2 years is the way to go to make sure the shoulders are ok going forward, and then a 5-6 year deal.....
The guy and his family love Montreal, and his brother is also coming fairly soon, so no way do we have any trouble signing him.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I would think that Hughes has a couple of options on the table for The Sherriff....
Personally for me, 2 years is the way to go to make sure the shoulders are ok going forward, and then a 5-6 year deal.....
The guy and his family love Montreal, and his brother is also coming fairly soon, so no way do we have any trouble signing him.
I'm good with a couple of years. These guys talking 8 years are bananas lol

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
4-6 years would be my preference. But if it does end up more then 2 years I doubt it will be for as low a cap hit as many ate proposing.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
You mean 2 of the 4 huge D we had that helped us get to the Stanley Cup final...?
Lol uh great retort...

And Xhekaj has a chance to be better than both
Edmundson did everything in his power to give that round 1 series to the Leafs. We got there despite him. And if you think Chiarot is anything more than an overhyped 4 or 5 you are kidding yourself. He is singlehandedly killing Seider's development by being stapled to him.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Edmundson did everything in his power to give that round 1 series to the Leafs. We got there despite him. And if you think Chiarot is anything more than an overhyped 4 or 5 you are kidding yourself. He is singlehandedly killing Seider's development by being stapled to him.
Thats great dude, theyre size was still felt and a huge reason we got that far

And your replacement for Xhekaj instead is...?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Hard to say what kind of AAV Xhekaj would take for 8 years. Doubt he is willing to take $3.25M.

I think both sides will agree the bridge contact is the best approach. Habs won't want to touch the $4M-$5M 8 year AAV and therefore, they also prefer the bridge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad