Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We got a hint of that in his short time here and, while I know he made his intentions clear, it still disappoints a little that we couldn’t keep him.

I think he really needed that buyout in Nashville as a slap in the face. So many times in his career he has given not even close to 100%, not even 50%.

The only Matt Duchene I want from 2019 on is the one from this year.

Reactions: Viqsi and Cowumbus

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I know he’s in division but I am intrigued on what this kid is going to turn into

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Members of the best Jackets team ever (defined by playoff success) who are still alive in the NHL playoffs include Panarin, Bobrovsky, Wennberg, and Duchene. Other former Jackets still in the playoffs include Gagner, Cole, and Roslovic. And let’s not forget Jacket’s legend Jonathon Quick. Stenlund played four games in 18-19 so technically he was also a member of the best Jackets team ever.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Watching ESPN game with Bucci and Weekes on the call and was struck by how gawd-awful Weekes was on the color commentary. Threw in a non-ironic “takes a village” comment. Was largely silent and mostly never insightful or interesting. I think Jody on the other hand has been really really good on the national broadcasts.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Watching ESPN game with Bucci and Weekes on the call and was struck by how gawd-awful Weekes was on the color commentary. Threw in a non-ironic “takes a village” comment. Was largely silent and mostly never insightful or interesting. I think Jody on the other hand has been really really good on the national broadcasts.
IMO the ESPN broadcasts are outclassed by TNT and the crews they have. Both the pre-game shows and the announce teams.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
So Stamkos is not going back to Tampa then? It would have to be a VERY team-friendly deal for him to do so. Or they would have to trade someone like Cirelli or Jeannot, I guess.

EDIT: Damn, this also basically removes a suitor for Provorov at the TDL.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
So Stamkos is not going back to Tampa then? It would have to be a VERY team-friendly deal for him to do so. Or they would have to trade someone like Cirelli or Jeannot, I guess.

EDIT: Damn, this also basically removes a suitor for Provorov at the TDL.
I am not saying Stamkos is or is not going back to Tampa but what the Lightning cap situation looks like today and what it will look like through free agency are two very different things. Stamkos wants to stay and is still the captain, if the Lightning want him and they can agree on terms I have zero doubt the Lightning can and will massage their cap situation to make it work.

As for Provorov, I expect he will play most of next season in Columbus and he will be moved by the TDL (there will be suitors for him). There is no reason to rush Jiricek or Mateychuk. I feel like many fans bitch when we don't promote our prospects and give them tons of playing time so they can learn in the NHL and then fans globally about GMs who don't rush their prospects allowing them to develop in the AHL. It's baffling to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I am not saying Stamkos is or is not going back to Tampa but what the Lightning cap situation looks like today and what it will look like through free agency are two very different things. Stamkos wants to stay and is still the captain, if the Lightning want him and they can agree on terms I have zero doubt the Lightning can and will massage their cap situation to make it work.

As for Provorov, I expect he will play most of next season in Columbus and he will be moved by the TDL (there will be suitors for him). There is no reason to rush Jiricek or Mateychuk. I feel like many fans bitch when we don't promote our prospects and give them tons of playing time so they can learn in the NHL and then fans globally about GMs who don't rush their prospects allowing them to develop in the AHL. It's baffling to me.
It's not baffling at all. This is Columbus. What other teams do is Correct, and what Columbus does--no matter what, even if it is literally the same thing the other team is doing--is Incorrect. Always.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
It's not baffling at all. This is Columbus. What other teams do is Correct, and what Columbus does--no matter what, even if it is literally the same thing the other team is doing--is Incorrect. Always.
Like I said...baffling ;)

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Hey, No matter how bad it is in CBJ land, at least he's not our coach.
Yup, because a coach has never failed their first time around, learned from their first time mistakes and then succeeded in the future. I don't know if Arniel 2.0 is better than Arniel 1.0 but coaches sometimes do get better with experience.

Arniel won 45 of 123 games (.88 points percentage). That's ugly...no doubt about it.
Bruce Cassidy won 48 of 110 games (1.00 points percentage) in Washington in his first coaching It's better...but not that much better.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad