Around the league part 2

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hey, because the Canucks came so close, does that mean we'd be two coin flips away from the Western Conference Championship? Dur...

Commutative property

IF they had the presser today they'd be saying 'we just had an unlucky matchup (even though I literally made a move just to beat them), had we gotten past Edmonton we'd be a WCF participant right now since we showed we could handle Vancouver in the regular season.'

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
I'd kinda like to see that whole team and city get their hopes up with a decisive win tonight and then get grinded to a nub next week.
I think this might be related to why I'm so irked about the ridiculous seeding system. One of these not-very-good teams is going to the WCF. Their fans get to puff their chests out thinking their team is good. I mean, look, they're in the WCF! By that metric, they had a successful season! And we have to hear it from their insufferable fans and offseason predictions for next season. But in reality, any of VGK, Winnipeg, Colorado, or Dallas would shred either of them.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
In November the Oilers were in dead last. Now they're in the final four. Quite a run they've gone on.

This board always wants to pretend they're not good, even though this is their 2nd conference final in 3 years, and they were the best team in the league for 5 months.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
In November the Oilers were in dead last. Now they're in the final four. Quite a run they've gone on.

This board always wants to pretend they're not good, even though this is their 2nd conference final in 3 years, and they were the best team in the league for 5 months.
I would guess that it isn't a question of them being "good" but rather that they are a top heavy team with the kinds of obvious weaknesses that are typically the strengths of Cup winners. The assumption is that no matter how well McDavid and Draisaitl play that they have no chance against the better teams in the league so they aren't a serious contender.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Yeah seems to be an unpopular opinion right now but the Canucks aren't in a far better spot than the kings

dwindling assets, had just about everything go right this year, and still hit a wall. They did make better moves in season, like lindholm and zadorov obviously, but considering near-full-health and a PDO bender, they should just be a wild card next season with a mediocre future along with us.

Having Hughes, Peterrson and Demko puts them considerably ahead of the Kings, who don't have any certainties at those three key spots.

They have a star 1C and 1D who are 24 and 25, and their 3rd and 4th best players had 100+ points (Miller) and 40 goals (Boeser). Garland is comparable to Trevor Moore, except that Moore was the Kings leading goal-scorer while Garland is a depth piece. The Kings have solid depth, you could even say championship level depth, but the lack of high-end players is glaring and prevents the Kings from being at the level of these teams.

It's just hard to win in this league doing the hockey equivalent of "run the ball and play defense"

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Having Hughes, Peterrson and Demko puts them considerably ahead of the Kings, who don't have any certainties at those three key spots.

They have a star 1C and 1D who are 24 and 25, and their 3rd and 4th best players had 100+ points (Miller) and 40 goals (Boeser). Garland is comparable to Trevor Moore, except that Moore was the Kings leading goal-scorer while Garland is a depth piece. The Kings have solid depth, you could even say championship level depth, but the lack of high-end players is glaring and prevents the Kings from being at the level of these teams.

It's just hard to win in this league doing the hockey equivalent of "run the ball and play defense"
We have a #1C and #1D in the prime of their careers....both of which are two-time SC winners. We're the envy of the league. Everything is awesome. ;)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

But again--how far did that actually get them?

Hughes disappeared after getting beat up
Pettersson never showed up
Demko's hips are a question mark--Silovs appeared to be excellent at high danger and next to terrible at long distance/low danger
Miller has proved me wrong but he's 32 next year
Brock Boeser appears to be as fragile as his porcelain skin, stupid sexy prince charming
Garland is nice, but every playoff team has a Garland

They don't have a ton of prospects--Lekkerimaki is nice but there's no one really coming to the rescue.

They have to consider their cap--their only D signed for next year are Hughes and Soucy. On the plus side their top 3 lines are signed, but they're going to have to figure out deals for Joshua/depth.

Pettersson and Hughes will be in their primes next year so they're in a better spot than the Kings from that standpoint but again, everything went right and suddenly when they had some health and PDO adversity they looked incredibly vulnerable. They were basically the Kings from the first month or two extended thru the whole year.

And you know me, I'm not defending the Kings at all, and I was one of the only people on this entire forum that had the Canucks in a playoff spot (wild card) before the season started. I didn't turn on them at all until their fans went all 2012 again :laugh: I just think they're closer to the black hole team they have been than the division winner they were this year. And like the Kings, they're not looking like they're getting better from here on in unless they turn their attention to the youth. It's a very similar situation in that regard.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
While Vancouver statistically did well this season, there were many times they were grossly outshot. I dislike the term "unsustainable" and understand the dislike of calling PDO "luck." But game 7 just embodied a lot of what happened this season, except for the shot and save percentage shifting away from their favor that game.

You just can't count on your goalie bailing you out and the opponent's goalie letting their team down as much as Vancouver seemed to.

Reactions: lumbergh

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Whatever Vancouver was this past season, Edmonton shut their offense down in the last two playoff games.

...and the Edmonton defense isn't that great.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
McDonagh is about to be 35. Nashville gets a 2nd round pick for him.

In the past few years, Trotz has moved:

McDonagh
Trenin
Granlund
Ekholm
Jeannot
Nino

For

7th
5th
2x 4th
2x 3rd
3x 2nd
2x 1st

Nashville is rebuilding while still be a decent team.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If McDavid and Draisaitl are healthy, and they get good goaltending, I think Edmonton would have a good chance at winning the series.

But Dallas with that rested deep roster looks tough as hell.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I just realized... can you imagine the meltdown Canadadians and fans of other "northern" teams if the finals consist of another pair of southern/sunbelt teams?

It almost washes away the wounds of being a Kings fan.

Until next season brings a new bucket of salt to rub in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad