Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He’s playing
Poor old Connor Brown, seems like the grass is not always greener on the other side. You would have been better off at staying in Ottawa at a reduced rate but them's the brakes.
He’s playing in the conference finals and Ottawa hasn’t been out of the bottom 10 in the NHL since he left - I think Connor Brown is winning.

Don’t think with Ottawa’s last 7 years they ever have a claim as the grass is greener place unless you were playing for a team in Siberia

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That's a head scratching move. Trading a 2nd for a 35YR old LD making 6.75M when you already have Hedman and Sergachev at LD.

Looks like they'll be letting Stamkos walk. No money for him now. Could see him going home to Toronto like Pajama Boy if they deal Marner and open some cap space.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Lol Brisebois slipping. McDonagh has been healthy and playing well, so they won't be able to LTIR him up during the season.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If 35 year old McDonagh making ~6 mil gets a 2nd then there's no reason Chychrun shouldn't return a 1st.
McDonagh is a far better player though.

Tampa were one of the few teams that I thought might actually want Chychrun, and with them going in a different direction I'm really not sure what the market will be for this player. An offensive LD is one of the easiest/most common roles to fill in the league.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
McDonagh is a far better player though.

Tampa were one of the few teams that I thought might actually want Chychrun, and with them going in a different direction I'm really not sure what the market will be for this player. An offensive LD is one of the easiest/most common roles to fill in the league.

Oh come on now, Chychrun is much better. McDonagh was slightly better at his peak but if you factor what they are currently it's not close.

If 35 year old McDonagh making ~6 mil gets a 2nd then there's no reason Chychrun shouldn't return a 1st.

1st + at least.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
“Slightly better” is wild. He was massively better than Chychrun at his peak.
He's still a better player today.

Any team trying to win a Stanley Cup in the next 2 years is going to take McDonagh over Chychrun. It's not even a question. Chychrun is crazy overrated. He's a ~38 point defenseman who doesn't defend well and needs a ton of PP time to even generate his rather mediocre output.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Berube is such a bad hire by the leaves. .

Any team trying to win a Stanley Cup in the next 2 years is going to take McDonagh over Chychrun. It's not even a question. Chychrun is crazy overrated. He's a ~38 point defenseman who doesn't defend well and needs a ton of PP time to even generate his rather mediocre output.
Chychrun is not a great fit in Tampa but he is a good fit on many teams.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
McD is definitely the better player than Chych. Older, but there isn’t a team in the league that is trying to win that would rather Chuchrun.

The market for Chych is going to be very, very small. He’s not going he be sought after.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

To be fair he just put up 14G and 41P in 82GP while playing on the 2nd powerplay almost all year. Wouldn't describe that as a "ton of PP time".

When he was running the top PP in Arizona in 20/21 and 22/23 he had a combined 69P/92GP, with 25 of those 69 points being goals.

He does need top unit PP time to put up big numbers, but that's also the case with almost everyone in this league.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I was surprised how much McDonagh seemed to have left in the tank against Vancouver. Thought he looked pretty good.

He had a bounce back year, but has been abysmal since hitting his 30s

McD is definitely the better player than Chych. Older, but there isn’t a team in the league that is trying to win that would rather Chuchrun.

The market for Chych is going to be very, very small. He’s not going he be sought after.

You guys are out to lunch. No team would take McD over Chych presently.

Reactions: Laphroaig

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

If McDonagh was a RD, he would have been a nice add for Ottawa. Kind of a surprise trade though as I suspect not many thought he was on the market.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
If McDonagh was a RD, he would have been a nice add for Ottawa. Kind of a surprise trade though as I suspect not many thought he was on the market.
Tampa never wanted to let him go. Their hands were forced. It broke their heart.

My guess, their ownership/management has been working on his possible return forever. It would not surprise me that immediately after his retirement, he is working for them in management or coaching.

This was us and Chris Kelly. Or us and Mike Fisher, Had Fisher remotely accepted a return to Ottawa, the trade would have been done ASAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad