Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Tampa never wanted to let him go. Their hands were forced. It broke their heart.

My guess, their ownership/management has been working on his possible return forever. It would not surprise me that immediately after his retirement, he is working for them in management or coaching.

This was us and Chris Kelly. Or us and Mike Fisher, Had Fisher remotely accepted a return to Ottawa, the trade would have been done ASAP.
OK, but the surprise part was Nashville moving him imho.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
OK, but the surprise part was Nashville moving him imho.
yea and no.. Imagine a situation where we (the Sens) acquire a Kopitar.. LA is desperate to move him for one reason or another.

A year or two later, circumstances change, they want him back, he wants to go back.

The Sens play good citizen, send him back. Now LA and Kopitar owe them a favour. The Sens get borwnie points for being good guys. Now some salary dump is needed, LA comes in and helps out. Kopitar's agent is happy, he is cooperative. Other players and agents hear it and brownie points.

Nashville has a bucket full of 30 and older guys. This year was the swan song. Next year is out of the playoffs and the 3-4 years after, rebuild/retool.

Do this and it is win/win.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Yes, he did that all by himself lol

I feel like I'm in wacko world right now. Nobody is taking a 35 year old McD over a 26 year old Chychrun, you kidding?
Obviously not. But he was phenomenal during those years, I really don’t know what you were watching if you considered that abysmal. Only Hedman was better than him on that blue line.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Obviously not. But he was phenomenal during those years, I really don’t know what you were watching if you considered that abysmal. Only Hedman was better than him on that blue line.

After his best season (2018-19) when he was 29 he has been on a steady decline. He had a bounce back year this season but he's years away from being a top-2 D. He's decent veteran option in the top-4 similar to a Tanev.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
After his best season (2018-19) when he was 29 he has been on a steady decline. He had a bounce back year this season but he's years away from being a top-2 D. He's decent veteran option in the top-4 similar to a Tanev.
Looked like a top 2 D to me during every one of those cup runs.

Age aside, McDonagh and Tanev in their primes are light years ahead of what Chychrun is. Tanev has been solid as a rock for Dallas this entire post-season, he basically plays mistake-free hockey. Dallas takes Tanev over Chychrun 10/10 times even if Chychrun was a RD.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would hope Chych has more value than McD in a trade, simply for the youth factor. I get Tampa going for one last run next year will opt for McD, but there should still be a good market for Chychrun.

We really, really, really need to get a first for that kid. Salvage something.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I would hope Chych has more value than McD in a trade, simply for the youth factor. I get Tampa going for one last run next year will opt for McD, but there should still be a good market for Chychrun.

We really, really, really need to get a first for that kid. Salvage something.
He will likely have more value anyways because McDonagh wanted to go back to Tampa. Presumably we will have more options for Chychrun.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes, he did that all by himself lol

I feel like I'm in wacko world right now. Nobody is taking a 35 year old McD over a 26 year old Chychrun, you kidding?
Tampa just did, it’s not like they never knew Chych was available.

Any team looking to win the cup in the next 2 years is taking McD over Chychrun without even thinking twice. Don’t think there is a question there. He is a different defenseman, worth a hell of a lot more in the playoffs, and better at what he does.

He’s older, a team like the Sens the past 8 years wouldn’t be interested in him because they’ve been constantly rebuilding, but if they wanted the better player for 1/2 cup runs, they’d be going McD.

Chychrun was an available to every team this deadline for 2 playoff runs, nobody wanted to pay whatever the Sens set as the cost, or worse, and less likely, nobody wanted to trade for him.

It’s not going to be a fun time following the Chychrun storyline this summer as a Sens fan.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, apparently McD asked for the trade, I wonder how many teams he'd accept a trade to, he had a full NTC until Jan 2026 when it becomes a 12 team list.

If Nsh got what they got and he was only willing to go to TBay, that's impressive.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
So, apparently McD asked for the trade, I wonder how many teams he'd accept a trade to, he had a full NTC until Jan 2026 when it becomes a 12 team list.

If Nsh got what they got and he was only willing to go to TBay, that's impressive.
Mick.. this was different.

I don't know how much you followed the story. McD was hugely popular in TB. The team never wanted to let him go. Their hands were tied.

without knowing, I am guessing he had a good relationship with the Owner.. And he is an American. Unlike Stamkos, a Canadian. Hedmann, a Swede. Kuch, Vas and Serg, from the land we do not speak about. He was a perfect face for the franchise. An Irish American! Can you say Tom Brady?

They wanted him back. He wanted to be back.

Nashville has to rebuild. Look at their age. TB needs a FACE. 1-2 seasons he retires and works for the club.

this is unique. Chyc and others will be dealt with differently.

Reactions: LiseL

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Tampa just did, it’s not like they never knew Chych was available.

Any team looking to win the cup in the next 2 years is taking McD over Chychrun without even thinking twice. Don’t think there is a question there. He is a different defenseman, worth a hell of a lot more in the playoffs, and better at what he does.

He’s older, a team like the Sens the past 8 years wouldn’t be interested in him because they’ve been constantly rebuilding, but if they wanted the better player for 1/2 cup runs, they’d be going McD.

Chychrun was an available to every team this deadline for 2 playoff runs, nobody wanted to pay whatever the Sens set as the cost, or worse, and less likely, nobody wanted to trade for him.

It’s not going to be a fun time following the Chychrun storyline this summer as a Sens fan.
Maybe its harder for fans to assess a defender's value when it comes to the defensive side of things? I wonder what someone is looking at when they say McDonagh or a steady defensive defenseman has regressed?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Maybe its harder for fans to assess a defender's value when it comes to the defensive side of things? I wonder what someone is looking at when they say McDonagh or a steady defensive defenseman has regressed?

Answer: The Hammer Travis Hamonic. A regression of a defensive minded defenceman ain’t pretty.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Answer: The Hammer Travis Hamonic. A regression of a defensive minded defenceman ain’t pretty.
Yes, but McDonagh has not regressed in the same way Hamonic has. These two players are not comparable. So, it's not an applicable answer in this case.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
a lot of fans do not see the defensive game , how shut down D work, or appreciate the value of a good defensive forward. A lot of fans key in on the skill and the play with the puck.

Reactions: Big Muddy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
a lot of fans do not see the defensive game , how shut down D work, or appreciate the value of a good defensive forward. A lot of fans key in on the skill and the play with the puck.
Yes, its not as easy or as obvious to discern good defensive play as it is to glance at scoring stats.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So if the Dallas goal the other day was no good, this one by Florida has to not count as well. Any other decision by the league would be a huge joke.

Edit: Right decision, though who knows if they make the same one without what happened in game 7 of DAL/VAN.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wow. What action
Zibanejad rarely makes a bad play. Makes great plays all over the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad