Around the NHL 2023-2024

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Bill has done a good job in getting a lot of assets for the Coyotes in both picks and prospects. However the hard part will be if he can turn the Coyotes into a playoff team in the next couple of years. As we have seen with other teams it can be hard to get out from the bottom.
Agreed. Bill has done very well with the tear down, but the tear down for an obvious rebuild is the easy part. The real test for Bill is just starting, which is expected. Most of the results of any GM's decisions don't become apparent for multiple seasons.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I was ready to send you a wall of text how I disagree, but I'm glad @BlueDream already did that. Saves me a lot of time. ;)

But just to add to his post, GMBA did all of that in some of the worst possible circumstances. First, he had to clean up Chayka's mess, you had the new stadium / relocation saga, playing in a university arena, players who don't want to sign for you due to all of this, etc. And he still stoically kept doing his job in a positive way while being a really good communicator. He gave the fans a realistic timetable and so far he is sticking to it. He does not try to rush things and above all wants to lay the best possible foundation for the future (rosterwise). The intention is that Arizona will start to play a significant role in the playoffs in 2 years. Until then, the team must take small steps every season; and they do, with BA continuously keeping fans informed of the plans.

Perhaps the biggest indicator of how GMBA is doing are the fans. After everything that happened (/is happening) with Arizona, you'd expect them to be ready to pick up their pitchforks and run everyone associated with Arizona out of town. However, when you read their forums we see messages in the vein of: "I will only support a team in Utah if BA stays with that team". Whatever the opinion is of him in the league, the fans apparantly are very happy with his performance in Arizona. And that in, probably, the most hostile environment in hockey.
He had cap space when nobody else did so he leveraged it. Good for him. But he hasn’t shown that he can build club. He might. But so far he hasn’t. Jarmo drafted well too and I wouldn’t want him as GM.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Bill has done a good job in getting a lot of assets for the Coyotes in both picks and prospects. However the hard part will be if he can turn the Coyotes into a playoff team in the next couple of years. As we have seen with other teams it can be hard to get out from the bottom.
Going from asset-acquisition phase in a rebuild, to perfecting a contending roster is a skill many GMs lack. We’ve seen examples around the league where they never seem to be able to climb out of the bottom half of the league regardless of the number of quality young assets.

If/when BA proves the ability to do that, he’ll deserve the accolades. I think he hasn’t made any big mistakes, except for the draft just after he was hired where the team took a guy with character issues and then cut him loose almost immediately. It wasn’t clear how much of that was under his direction initially. The Chycrun trade showed good patience.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
i don't mean to be harsh, but everyone loves on him in this forum and i don't get it. not the drafting, i don't have issue with that, but the gm-ing. his trade history isn't spectacular. he certainly seemed to overplay his hand on chycrun. his teams haven't won. on the other hand, he got his guys to wear corny suits tot he draft and there are stories about abusive work environment under him. so no, i don't see any reason where he has shown to be good gm.
I think you are wildly downplaying his trade history. The amount of draft capital he has accumulated is unprecedented.

His first draft was 2021. The league took their 1st rounder based on his predecessor violating combine rules and they didn't own their 3rd rounder due to a 2019 trade. Instead of only picking 43rd in the first 100 picks of the draft, they picked 9th, 37th, 43rd, and 60th because Bill traded for multiple good picks. The #9 overall was from the OEL deal and was a draft day trade.

In 2022, they drafted 3rd overall with their own pick and also acquired (and drafted players with) picks 11, 29, 36, and 43.

In 2023, they had their own pick (6th) and picked up the #12 overall pick in the Chychrun deal (which also included a couple future 2nds).

From 2024-2026, the Coyotes have acquired and currently hold 7 additional 2nd round picks and 4 additional 3rd round picks.

B Armstrong's trades got the Coyotes three 'extra' top 12 picks across 3 drafts (9th, 11th, and 12th). It also got them a late 1st rounder and about 10 extra 2nd round picks. I don't believe any GM has acquired so much valuable draft capital in a rebuild and let's not act like the Coyotes were overflowing with high end players. We'll see how the picks turn out, but his accumulation of futures assets was extremely impressive.

Getting a 12th overall in a great draft and a couple future 2nds for Chychrun may not have been maximum value, but I have a hard time citing it as an example of a mistake.

I agree with the stuff about the work environment and that certainly raises red flags, but the execution of the 'asset accumulation' stage of the rebuild was a massive success.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Scratch Hanifin off your free agency want list.

They are gong to have to give up someone or multiple pieces of their roster I'd imagine.
Edit: Martinez as a UFA comes off the books, likely this makes a guy like Hague expendable too at $2.2M and an RFA after next season.

As for the Coyotes news, I will believe they're being relocated until it's official from the league and team. But certainly with as much smoke as there is, there's a fire. Unfortunate for the Coyotes fans that owner after owner has failed them completely, leading to this point.

The inner vulture in me though would love to grab a guy like Keller out of such upheaval though, but Bill Armstrong would continue to be a shrewd negotiator especially not wanting to lose a key piece of that roster entering a new market.

Last edited:
Reactions: ezcreepin

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
I wonder who Vegas will get rid of now.

Quick glance at their roster

UFA Stephenson, Martinez, & possibly Marchessault (I think they will try to keep him, but having big season may push price up more)

Trade: Hague, McNabb

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
They are gong to have to give up someone or multiple pieces of their roster I'd imagine.
Edit: Martinez as a UFA comes off the books, likely this makes a guy like Hague expendable too at $2.2M and an RFA after next season.

As for the Coyotes news, I will believe they're being relocated until it's official from the league and team. But certainly with as much smoke as there is, there's a fire. Unfortunate for the Coyotes fans that owner after owner has failed them completely, leading to this point.

The inner vulture in me though would love to grab a guy like Keller out of such upheaval though, but Bill Armstrong would continue to be a shrewd negotiator especially not wanting to lose a key piece of that roster entering a new market.
Man, how great would Keller look on our top line with Robert Thomas?

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Oshie did a bunch of dirty stuff against the Sabres (including literally kicking a guy in the groin. No, I am not shitting you.). I like Oshie, but like Perron, he needs to sit for a very long time for his actions.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Scratch Hanifin off your free agency want list.

Vegas are just pieces of shit that I hate.
Oshie did a bunch of dirty stuff against the Sabres (including literally kicking a guy in the groin. No, I am not shitting you.). I like Oshie, but like Perron, he needs to sit for a very long time for his actions.

Oh come on, he got hit and was falling backwards as his leg came up. Knock off the holier than thou shit.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
If there had been the internet in the early 90s the Blues would have been the NHL's scourge for pushing the existing rules to sign free agents. I remember as a Blues fan thinking we are using existing rules and the league is gutting us in response due to our flouting of the unwritten rules that you don't sign players from other teams. With Vegas they are using the existing rules and not getting punished.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Oh come on, he got hit and was falling backwards as his leg came up. Knock off the holier than thou shit.
I hadn’t seen this play yet you two were talking about so just went and watched it. Idk man, that definitely could’ve been intentional. He didn’t look that off balance to me.

My guess is he won’t be punished as it can’t be proven he didn’t just lose his balance but it didn’t look good to me. And if he did do that on purpose…wow. What a bitch move. And the femoral artery is right in that area of the thigh too.

Or maybe Oshie just thought Jost was trying to steal his purse.
200w.gif

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Holier than thou for not wanting someone kicked in the groin with a skate? Listen, I don't care what you think of me. I love Oshie, but he should be sitting for doing that and the other crap he pulled during the game.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Holier than thou for not wanting someone kicked in the groin with a skate? Listen, I don't care what you think of me. I love Oshie, but he should be sitting for doing that and the other crap he pulled during the game.
What else did he do during the game?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Side note: glad that poster got schooled by smarter fans about Bill Armstrong. Not surprised.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
What else did he do during the game?

Ran a Sabre at the end of the game (ending seconds, down two goals, attemtped to board someone), started a giant brawl.

There should be a suspension for the Jost kick alone. After what happened to Adam Johnson, there is no excuse, and should be no-tolerance.

Dec 15, 2002
1. That wasn't the worst late-game hit I've seen, by any stretch. I thought it was a nothing.
2. I have no clue what Ovechkin was trying to do, other than avoid getting involved with anyone.
3. Thompson may not be a real fighter, and Pacioretty may really not be a fighter, but the way Tage was throwing he looked like he could beat the hell out of a lot of guys in the league.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Ran a Sabre at the end of the game (ending seconds, down two goals, attemtped to board someone), started a giant brawl.

There should be a suspension for the Jost kick alone. After what happened to Adam Johnson, there is no excuse, and should be no-tolerance.

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. That wasn't attempted boarding considering he hit the dude shoulder to shoulder. Once again you can't suspend someone because they were off balance after getting hit and their skate hit someone. You seem like you'd be a great referee. Would fit right in with the rest of them.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
1. That wasn't the worst late-game hit I've seen, by any stretch. I thought it was a nothing.
2. I have no clue what Ovechkin was trying to do, other than avoid getting involved with anyone.
3. Thompson may not be a real fighter, and Pacioretty may really not be a fighter, but the way Tage was throwing he looked like he could beat the hell out of a lot of guys in the league.
1. Agreed. Thompson didn’t even react to it. The melee started when Oshie got pitchforked in response.
2. I would assume WSH had an extra attacker so one of their 6 guys was going to be left w/o a dance partner. He did look all sad though. I wanna fight too, guys!
3. Agreed. He handled himself well.

Reactions: tfriede2

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. That wasn't attempted boarding considering he hit the dude shoulder to shoulder. Once again you can't suspend someone because they were off balance after getting hit and their skate hit someone. You seem like you'd be a great referee. Would fit right in with the rest of them.

Again, I don't care what you think about me. After everything that happened with Adam Johnson's death, there should be no tolerance whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad