Around the NHL 2023-2024

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That Canucks / Rangers Final was the first year I really followed the playoffs closely too. It was a great playoffs all around. The intensity of the post-season was palpable every game I watched. Got me hooked on the sport, although I wasn't a Blues fan yet (since I didn't live in St Louis until MUCH later).

Reactions: Blueston

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
This is what I remember about the 94 series - I remember that Game 7 was on Tuesday June 14 - because rather than attend my own college graduation, I preferred the chance to drive across the country to San Francisco meet up with a friend to drive with him back to Boston and then fly back to San Francisco.

So ho hum, I arrive in SF the morning of June 12, unload my 1977 3/4 ton chevy pickup Love Truck that got gallons per mile, find a place to park it for a week, take a nap, and pile back into friend's car around 9pm to get a few hours head start on the drive. For some reason he only wanted to listen to tapes at the beginning so for the next two days there was no news. Well neither one of us had ever been to North Dakota so we went up into Montana out of our way to "get" the state. And while we are up there it's Tuesday afternoon, and I am thinking yeah it's daytime but we can probably still get some AM station out of Canada which will definitely be playing Game 7 on the radio and we can listen.

So we turned it on and it was so weird, we couldn't make sense of what everyone was talking about. They were talking about some story in a way that everyone listening was already far more up to speed than we were. It sure sounded like someone maybe stabbed OJ! And it was every station. The radio was so staticky and I recall we only got to listen to the later part of the game as the Canucks desperately tried to tie it

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
That Canucks / Rangers Final was the first year I really followed the playoffs closely too. It was a great playoffs all around. The intensity of the post-season was palpable every game I watched. Got me hooked on the sport, although I wasn't a Blues fan yet (since I didn't live in St Louis until MUCH later).
Me too. This was the first playoffs i really watched and i was immediately hooked. The Richter / Brodeur matchup before that was epic. Those guys / teams were playing out of their mind. Also, Pavel Bure was a beast. The Russian Rocket name was appropriate.

Messier calling a win was epic!!

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Preds sending McDonough back to Tampa. Lightning really missed him last couple years. Not sure what else Tampa has planned, but this doesn’t seem to make finding cap space for stamkos easier. Wonder what else they have planned.

Not sure if Stamkos is eligible for a 35+ contract (turns 35 in Feb). But, if he can sign one of those - Tampa may give him a bonus laden contract with an easily attainable bonus (10 gp or something like that) and push the bonus payment over to 25/26.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Not sure if Stamkos is eligible for a 35+ contract (turns 35 in Feb). But, if he can sign one of those - Tampa may give him a bonus laden contract with an easily attainable bonus (10 gp or something like that) and push the bonus payment over to 25/26.
He's not eligible. You have to be 35+ before the contract kicks in.

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
My dad started taking me to Blues games in the late 80s. He split season tickets with 2 of his friends so each ended up with 2 tickets to 27ish games. The night of Game 7 of the 1994 Cup Final is the only time I ever met these 2 other dudes. My dad took me to a bar somewhere downtown and we all watched the game together. I remember being really enthralled with that series and rooting for Bure.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Me too. This was the first playoffs i really watched and i was immediately hooked. The Richter / Brodeur matchup before that was epic. Those guys / teams were playing out of their mind. Also, Pavel Bure was a beast. The Russian Rocket name was appropriate.

Messier calling a win was epic!!
Adam Graves was my favorite player on that team. And Vanbiesbrouck before that Cup!! Bies and Richter were a great tandem until Florida selected Bies in the expansion draft.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
1994 was a heck of a year.

Stanley Cup Finals
Lots of good movies - Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Forest Gump, Dumb and Dumber, Lion King etc.
OJ’s Bronco chase
Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding drama
Pretty sure I attended my first party that involved booze and boobies in 1994 too. What a time to be alive!

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

Stanley Cup Finals
Lots of good movies - Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Forest Gump, Dumb and Dumber, Lion King etc.
OJ’s Bronco chase
Pretty sure I attended my first party that involved booze and boobies in 1994 too. What a time to be alive!
I was too busy being 2 lol

Reactions: STL fan in MN

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train

Stanley Cup Finals
OJ’s Bronco chase
To add to your list the music was incredible that year too. For me the 90’s was the peak of civilization, its weird that’s so much time has passed since then.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I would agree, everything has gone downhill since the 90s. Crazy to think we're closer to 2050 than 1997.

feaf25043cfe876975568ba1a12d7263eefc85bf.gif

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I was 7 in 1994 and remember thinking that the year 2000 seemed like a lifetime away. Cell phones were the size of a Pringles can. The world was in shock after the death of Kurt Cobain and owning a computer would've been considered a luxury. Those '94 playoffs are definitely imprinted on my mind as the first NHL postseason that had me glued to the TV. I can remember going to bed at 9 and waiting until the old man settled in and sneaking into the basement to watch the Calgary Vancouver series where Bure won it for the Canucks in double OT of game 7. Jesus.. Where the hell did 30 years go and what happened to the world in the process??

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
To add to your list the music was incredible that year too. For me the 90’s was the peak of civilization, its weird that’s so much time has passed since then.
You seem to be underrating the internet and ubiquitous smart phones, at least for the potential for benefiting mankind. I won’t argue that these tools are often being perverted into detriments.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad