Around the NHL 2023-24 - playoff thread

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Weird, didn’t they just dump him a year or two ago?

Edit: Yes, and on the same contract too. I wonder how many teams get traded back to to the team that signed them while on the same contract, it has to be rare.

Off the top of my head, I'm reminded of the Marty McSorley debacle which helped turn young me into an unhappy Kings fan.

St. Louis signed McSorley to an offer sheet (5 years, 10 mil) in the summer of 1993. LA was fresh off their run to the SCF, but their owner was having financial problems behind the scenes. In that CBA, teams were allowed to match an offer sheet and immediately trade the player (now they can't trade them for a full year). In the week that they had to match, LA shopped McSorley. Eventually they matched and traded him to Pittsburgh for Shawn McEachern who was making 250K.

Kings had a tough 1993-94 season and Wayne Gretzky lobbied for the team to get McSorley back. A few weeks after the All-Star break, LA sent McEachern and Tomas Sandstrom to Pittsburgh for McSorley and journeyman defender Jim Paek.

I was a young fan but even I knew that reversing the trade at a cost of Sandstrom/Paek made little sense. In recent years I found out that Sandstrom was threatening to go back to Sweden but he stayed in the NHL for another five years.

-------

It doesn't exactly fit, but I also remember Vinny Prospal and Tampa. Prospal qualified for early free agency in the summer of 2003. Tampa was offering 2.5 mil AAV. But Anaheim swooped in after Paul Kariya bolted for Colorado and they gave Prospal 5 years, 17.5 mil. Seemingly with their recent playoff revenue, Prospal's deal was frontloaded 7.5 mil in the first year and 2.5 mil in the remaining four.

After that first season, Anaheim traded Prospal back to Tampa for a 2nd round pick. Tampa essentially paid a pick to get Prospal for what they had been originally offering.

And I always laugh that Prospal had bad timing. He joined the Ducks right after they made the SCF and proceeded to miss the playoffs. Tampa then won the Cup in 2004 without him. Then after he got moved by Anaheim, they'd win a Cup in 2007.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Weird, didn’t they just dump him a year or two ago?

Edit: Yes, and on the same contract too. I wonder how many teams get traded back to to the team that signed them while on the same contract, it has to be rare.
LeBrun thinks that this way they get a good dman with 2 year contract vs UFA dman (with 4–7 year contract).

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Very interesting trade given the pick years. Nashville gave up the player AND the 2024 pick. I wonder how involved the scouts were. Its late enough that they should have a good idea of players they are targeting in that area. Maybe they don't like this draft?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Very interesting trade given the pick years. Nashville gave up the player AND the 2024 pick. I wonder how involved the scouts were. Its late enough that they should have a good idea of players they are targeting in that area. Maybe they don't like this draft?

Nashville is getting a TBL 2024 7th (#213) and TBL 2025 2nd.

Tampa gets EDM 2024 4th (#126), so it’s a late 4th now that the Oilers made the WCF.

Tampa didn’t have a pick in the first four rounds of the 2024 draft until they got this one, Nashville is probably lucky they still had their 2025 2nd.

In July 2022 McDonough trade, Nashville gave Tampa this trash:
Defenseman Philippe Myers, who Preds the got from Philly the year before in the Ryan Ellis dump/swindle trade. He made 1.4m playing in the AHL this season.
Left Wing prospect Grant Mismash, who played in the minors (mostly in the ECHL) for a season and then f***ed off to Europe.

So Nashville is definitely getting the better return.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It wasn't the same contract, but Lou bringing back Claude in 1999 was maybe a little similar. Win a Cup with Claude, trade him for insubordination, then get him back 4 years later since we needed RW+grit. Tampa wins a couple Cups with McDonagh, trade him because of the cap, then get him back when the cap went up. Although we'll see where this leaves them with Stamkos.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
LeBrun thinks that this way they get a good dman with 2 year contract vs UFA dman (with 4–7 year contract).

I don't think enough teams are willing to do deals like this where they leverage assets to maintain long-term flexibility. It's a good idea for our team to consider. I would have made this trade for example as a good D to take on some of the tougher LHD minutes and then the contract is up just in time to give Nemec his 2nd contract. Maybe McDonough isn't quite worth his contract anymore but neither is anyone else you're going to sign for just 2 years.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't think enough teams are willing to do deals like this where they leverage assets to maintain long-term flexibility. It's a good idea for our team to consider. I would have made this trade for example as a good D to take on some of the tougher LHD minutes and then the contract is up just in time to give Nemec his 2nd contract. Maybe McDonough isn't quite worth his contract anymore but neither is anyone else you're going to sign for just 2 years.
I think that's the basic thinking behind the Markstrom deal but it's not as if NJ can add a second and take back a fourth to make it happen. Calgary insists on overplaying their hand there.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I think that's the basic thinking behind the Markstrom deal but it's not as if NJ can add a second and take back a fourth to make it happen. Calgary insists on overplaying their hand there.

We have to stop selling off second rounders. We don't have one this year. If anything to take that 7' tall mongoloid 35 year old goalie I want a 2nd with him and we can send our extra 4th.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think that's PC to use that term anymore?
There was a New Jersey hardcore band from the 00s called The Mongoloids. I’m sure some people here have heard of them, though I don’t think many outside of the Tri-state or PA area would know them. I think they were from Edison or New Brunswick.

My friends used to go and see them and had their shirts and everything, but they felt weird wearing their shirt in public and had to answer for why they were wearing this shirt, and what kind of sick band calls themselves that. :laugh:

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
We have to stop selling off second rounders. We don't have one this year. If anything to take that 7' tall mongoloid 35 year old goalie I want a 2nd with him and we can send our extra 4th.

I don't think that's PC to use that term anymore?

There was a New Jersey hardcore band from the 00s called The Mongoloids. I’m sure some people here have heard of them, though I don’t think many outside of the Tri-state or PA area would know them. I think they were from Edison or New Brunswick.

My friends used to go and see them and had their shirts and everything, but they felt weird wearing their shirt in public and had to answer for why they were wearing this shirt, and what kind of sick band calls themselves that. :laugh:
In before @njdevils1982

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

you should see the list of vile and offensive fictitious band names i've come up with... some are pretty twisted

actually, maybe you shouldn't see it :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad