Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Who: Austria vs. Great Britain

What: IIHF World Championship Group A

Where: O2 Arena, Prague, Czech Republic

When: 12:20 CEDT (06:20 EDT)

Why: Austria hopes to keep its quarterfinal hopes alive with a win over the already relegated Brits.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
First time Austria is the clear favorite in an A-Pool game. It will be interesting to see how the team handles this situation. There is still a goal to reach and playing for a potential quater final berth should give them extra motivation - after all this is a different team than the one having the same chance back at the Olympics in 2014. The whole tournament has been a huge boost to Austrian hockey in any case and hopefully a win against GBR will solidify this impression at home.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Absolutely rooting for the Austrians here. If they win in regular time, then the Finns have a serious problem on their hands... and Austria will make history :thumbu:

Reactions: Summer Rose

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Hope that Austria wins. Not that I hope that Finland would be relegated. Just that Finland needs to "earn it". Would feel weird that people could think that the crisis is averted in Finnish hockey because GB got points from Austria.

And in all honesty Austria deserves advancing more.

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
Austria with the opportunity of a historical QF place, whereas we're already down, so I expect we'll get stuffed.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I can see how nervous Austrians are. Now they have to win instead of just playing and having fun. They never thought they would even have a chance.

And as i said that Austria scored haha

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
The issue with the late line swap is that yes, Wolf/Unterweger is your best defensive pair but the Rossi line is your best offensive line. So you don’t actually get ideal maximization. Which is sort of the issue the entire tournament is that we have been playing with this false premise that Heinrich is the #1D and Raffl is the captain center so let’s overload them with ice time. The issue isn’t the pair it’s that line 2 and pair 2 should be getting all the ice time. Line 3 and pair 3 should also be getting more ice time. Maybe swap Huber for Ganahl. Or just give Nickl a real D partner. And if they trot out 91 for one more power play when the first unit is 1-17. Like I don’t know what to say, it’s just completely ignoring all facts based evidence.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Would be kinda funny if Austria didn't win in regulation vs GB and due to that failed to get ahead of Finland, after all the good performances against strong countries.

Still, for the long-term benefit of Finnish hockey, I hope that Finland doesnt' qualify for the quarters because that should bring about some changes and perhaps finally rid us of the "meidän peli"-pollution.

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
Vienna
Would be kinda funny if Austria didn't win in regulation vs GB and due to that failed to get ahead of Finland, after all the good performances against strong countries.

Still, for the long-term benefit of Finnish hockey, I hope that Finland doesnt' qualify for the quarters because that should bring about some changes and perhaps finally rid us of the "meidän peli"-pollution.

That would be Austria in a nutshell. Rofl

I really dont like Raffl at all.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Can't take those penalties, the 5-3 completely broke their gameplan. Now this completely unnecessary penalty 10 seconds into the third period and we are feeling the weight of expectations. Still some time to play and turn this around maybe a little bit of urgency is what the team needs to get back on track.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
but isn't that the usual issue with "growing" teams? it's far easier to compete well against allegedly superior teams than to win against the teams you're expected to. plus the possibility to qualify for QF and thus also the fact that there is something to lose didn't help either I think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad