GDT: AUT vs. GBR May 21, 2024

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
On the VERY LAST powerplay of the tournament, Bader finally accepted evidence based reasoning and played the PP2 first. They scored. 4th powerplay goal for the 2nd unit. The "top powerplay unit" with Heinrich, Raffl, etc. went 1-18. They were the worst unit of any team in the tournament. Rossi looked absolutely helpless on that unit trying to find anyone to play with.

I think it's probably better for the long term growth of the Austrian team to lose this game. Even though quarters would have been so cool. Austria cannot play possession based hockey, and they cannot do so because they lack the manpower to do so.

Old ways of thinking die really hard. After the Olympics, there was a wave of retirements. And this team was restructured around the new core, Komarek, Lebler, Heinrich, Raffl brothers, Martin Schumnig, etc. And despite some great performances from Michael Raffl, the past 10 years have been basically nonstop darkness for Austria. Most of those players have retired on their own. That core needs to be retired. Good guys. But they've had a decade to show something and haven't.

Thomas Raffl is still a good player. I don't mind him simply being on the roster, for wisdom and leadership. But he is not a top line player. He should be a 4th line grinder. Kill penalties. And he should not be the captain, because the captain has to set the tone on the ice and off of it. Marco Rossi is the captain of the team. Even if Kasper, Reinbacher, become better players, Marco Rossi is the captain because he has the Zach Parise lead by example gritty playstyle that can set the tone for others on the ice. Getting that unnecessary penalty 11 seconds into the 3rd period was a killer. Arguably the team's best game was when he was not on the ice for Norway, whether he is on the team or not on the team moving forward does not affect the team's performance.

Dominique Heinrich should not be on the team, period. He is not a player suitable for this caliber of hockey. Too long he has been conceptualized as the #1D in the team. His statistical performance was bad and only saved from being even worse by absolutely brilliant defensive play by Thimo Nickl. It was hilarious to see Marco Rossi on the Powerplay repeatedly look him off, not pass to him, basically pretend that he did not exist because there was a clear lack of trust there. There is simply no reason to have him out there. He is a huge liability defensively, he is not good offensively, no defenseman got so much ice time and did so little with it.

For the Olympic Qualifications, I would like to see a few players. Obviously, I'd like to see Marco Kasper and David Reinbacher. Clemens Unterweger is the #1D team on the team as it stands, offensively, and Thimo Nickl is the best defenseman defensively. I will add, I think Thimo Nickl arriving from the ECHL playoffs was what really turned the tide of the tournament around. If Reinbacher is there, I think he's your #1 defenseman. I'd pair him to Wolfi maybe, and pair Nickl and Unterweger. Strong and Maier are fine. I prefer Zundel to Brunner, but it's not going to make a huge difference. Someone I really didn't think got a fair shot was Tobias Sablattnig. Staplefeldt played well in the limited role that he had.

For forwards, I'd like to see Senna Peeters. I kind of get why they don't prefer him, because his playstyle is really enabled by puck possession, and the one thing Austria doesn't do much of against anyone is possess the puck. However, I think he can add significant value. And he's still growing as a player. I'd slot in Kasper on the top line, kick Nissner out to wing probably. The team has too many centers, but that's not really a problem. Something that Bader tried in the last period, moving Rohrer onto line 3 with Baumgartner and Haudum, I think works great if they had tried it earlier. But have Baumi take the faceoffs, he is better at them. 4th line consisting of P. Huber, Wukovits, and Peeters would be solid, Ganahl extra forward.

I also want to see Wraneschitz over Honeckl. He shouldn't start over either Kickert or Madlener but I think he's better than Honeckl and will maybe push the room.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
...notwithstanding the fact that Switzerland is a much better team than Finland.
And Austria is a much better team than GB. No, wait...

I consider Switzerland the favorite, too, but I'm not going to call their on-paper difference "much better" in comparison to this Finnish team. And, of course, these games are not played on paper.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's mostly on the ice that Finland is a mediocre team at best, now they only earned the right to be humiliated by Sweden like in the olden days.

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
Just bloody typical for us to win when it's already too late! In previous years a single win has been enough to scrape by, but not this time, alas.

Reactions: Summer Rose

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
GB came and won the game we were trying to win. Those pesky Austrians just had to go and win the games they weren't supposed to win.

Denmark feels like the game that got away, unfortunately. A win there would have saved us.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I also want to see Wraneschitz over Honeckl. He shouldn't start over either Kickert or Madlener but I think he's better than Honeckl and will maybe push the room.

Atte Tolvanen is in the process of getting an Austrian passport, so I think the starter question will settle itself, at least for the next few years, and most likely neither Höneckl nor Wraneschitz will be there next time.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
This is a big surprise for me. I didn't expect Austria to lose this game but it shows me to be more careful with predictions. The games have to be played first. Especially at this WHC the underdogs are always good for surprises.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Atte Tolvanen is in the process of getting an Austrian passport, so I think the starter question will settle itself, at least for the next few years, and most likely neither Höneckl nor Wraneschitz will be there next time.
This would be very important to have another option. He certainly has performed better than Madlener and Kickert in the EBEL. I will say this tourney was the best I had ever seen either of them play.. low bar.

None of the younger goalies coming through have impressed me at all..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad