Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 3, Avs win Series 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't think the relationship with Perfetti is all that bad. From the recent comments by Friedman on his podcast, Chevy wants him to have more ice time so we'll see if he backs that up this summer.
Chevy was also excited about Heinola and wanted to see him in an NHL role back at the 2021 trade deadline. Thank god we didn't rush him in though, we could have allowed more than 28 goals in five games. How these prospects don't openly request trades away from the organisation is beyond me.

---

Whatever ends up happening in the front office during the summer, a culture change is needed. A year ago, people here were laughing at Gawanke for complaining about the lack of opportunity given by the Jets - after all, Gawanke was a shit prospect who couldn't make it even with the Sharks, right? Well, now Heinola and Perfetti had to watch the veterans get obliterated from the stands. What a warm feeling it must be for the youth to see how the veterans aren't held accountable for anything, once they make it in.

It was a lot easier to accommodate top prospects to a dogshit team in the early-to-mid 2010s, but it's a different ball game now. And boy, are we failing miserably at it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Well there you go. As good as the regular season was, my investment in general was as low as it's been in the 2.0 era. At this point it almost feels like there's no point in even getting engaged until there's at least 2 wins in round one of the post season...

I doubt Bones has any intention of coming back. Maybe that's why he's smiling. I think we need another JoMo-quality D man. Really, we need a couple elite guys somewhere on the roster.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Chevy was also excited about Heinola and wanted to see him in an NHL role back at the 2021 trade deadline. Thank god we didn't rush him in though, we could have allowed more than 28 goals in five games. How these prospects don't openly request trades away from the organisation is beyond me.

---

Whatever ends up happening in the front office during the summer, a culture change is needed. A year ago, people here were laughing at Gawanke for complaining about the lack of opportunity given by the Jets - after all, Gawanke was a shit prospect who couldn't make it even with the Sharks, right? Well, now Heinola and Perfetti had to watch the veterans get obliterated from the stands. What a warm feeling it must be for the youth to see how the veterans aren't held accountable for anything, once they make it in.

It was a lot easier to accommodate top prospects to a dogshit team in the early-to-mid 2010s, but it's a different ball game now. And boy, are we failing miserably at it.
Um, Gawanke WAS a shit prospect who couldn't stick on thr worst team in the league. I guess San Jose doesn't treat their prospects well, either

Man, it must be easy to sit back and say "these prospects would have done better" knowing there is no way for your statement to be proven either right or wrong

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
IMG_6332.jpeg
Have a great summer

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Um, Gawanke WAS a shit prospect who couldn't stick on thr worst team in the league. I guess San Jose doesn't treat their prospects well, either

Man, it must be easy to sit back and say "these prospects would have done better" knowing there is no way for your statement to be proven either right or wrong
Whatever you think of Gawanke, now it's Heinola and Perfetti getting the same treatment. Bad prospects again?

And just as easy as it is to claim that, it is equally easy to do the opposite. The veteran is always the safe bet over the guy who never even got the shot, because you've seen one do it and not the other. The problem is that the team hasn't achieved anything since 2018, and we still don't give the opportunities out to prospects that could replace our Pionks and Stanleys.

Too many people here want to be right more than they want the team to win. Are you one of them?

(to be fair to you, at least you acknowledge the fact that it goes both ways, as opposed to those "fans" who immediately default to attributing a prospect not making it to the team to "the prospect's lack of mental fortitude" or whatever shit they come up with.)

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Villardi was the weak link in this game. Both schief and kc I thought were respectable considering the train wreck the team was.
Connor was ok but I thought this was Schief's worst game of the series. He was a -2 and -8 overall this series. He should not be on with Pionk who was -3.
The Jets were exposed. It was an easy series for the Av's.
They need to bring in a couple vets with cup experience to show them the way!

Reactions: JetsUK and jungles
Nov 24, 2006
This was a much, much worse result than last year. I had little faith we’d beat Vegas. Expectations were considerably higher this year. This was a total failure and I do hope there are some significant changes to the team for next year.

Reactions: FFHockey

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
The morning after and if this series pointed out anything is that the Jets have a lot of work to do, we need more talent and not just talent that wants to play here, we need better coaches and not just ones that no one else wants. I really think it time for Chevy to move on his drafting record after the first round isn't that great and his trades at first glance look great but they fizzle quickly. New guy with fresh eyes who can come in an evaluate what we really have on this roster in the minors and all other prospects. It's going to be a long offseason that will give hope or is more of the same.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, not sure it isn't time for a new guy at the top. Chevy has done OK in some ways, but the overall results don't seem to be good enough. I mean we aren't really any closer now than we were 4 or 5 seasons ago...

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Agree with the comment above that 55 didn't look great yesterday. I thought it was Connor's best game, though.

As for Helle continuously analysing every goal and asking which one was his fault is missing the point. Playoff goalies make saves they shouldn't. They steal games. Helle just...doesn't. Especially when things go off the rails he just seems to fold.

Overall though to beat a team with that much talent you need to be disciplined as hell with your team play and the cracks that started showing after the ASB were never fully repaired.

The amount of odd man rushes we gave up against Colorado wasn't an anomaly. We were all complaining about it for months

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Absolute embarrassment of a series from top to bottom.

If the Jets don't make significant changes the building is going to be empty next year.

Bones needs to go, the whole coaching staff should go but we'll probably d0 the classic True North and hire Arniel who has only proven to be shit as a head coach in the NHL.

Can't have imagined a worse way for this series to go tbh.

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I dont even know what to say about this team. You go from a legendary 3 goals or less allowed streak to a record setting first team to allow 5 goals or more against in the first 5 games of a playoff series. Its absolutely dumbfounding. I have no idea where you go from here with this core. They are beyond frustrating. I dont think ive ever seen another playoff series where a team was so completely and relentlessly caved in and dominated night after night. It was truly embarrassing. Im speechless.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
well morning after,

- the Jets simply couldn't compete with the Avs speed, transition or forecheck, the difference in breaking out of their own zones are night and day.
- size imo doesn't help the Jets much. the Jets are listed basically the same size as the Avs if not bigger, the difference in puck skills & GAF is stark.
- Pionk bamboozled this organization.
- the Jets much-heralded for their team D and goaltending was a joke and are going in the record books w/ one of the worst GA performances in a series.
- Helle, Ehlers, Monahan had the biggest drop off from their regular-season play to POs. I didn't think Scheifele was as prolific or dangerous offensively either. Lowry had a great game-1 then kind of went MIA too. Jets supposed depth against a "top-heavy" team was non-existent.
- there's probably more.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
well morning after,

- the Jets simply couldn't compete with the Avs speed, transition or forecheck, the difference in breaking out of their own zones are night and day.
- size imo doesn't help the Jets much. the Jets are listed basically the same size as the Avs if not bigger, the difference in puck skills & GAF is stark.
- Pionk bamboozled this organization.
- the Jets much-heralded for their team D and goaltending was a joke and are going in the record books w/ one of the worst GA performances in a series.
- Helle, Ehlers, Monahan had the biggest drop off from their regular-season play to POs. I didn't think Scheifele was as prolific or dangerous offensively either. Lowry had a great game-1 then kind of went MIA too. Jets supposed depth against a "top-heavy" team was non-existent.
- there's probably more.
What was with our own breakout yesterday? Was it some new strategy to wait behind the net while all three forwards floated around the far blueline, then fire a weak pass right to an Avalanche player?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agree with the comment above that 55 didn't look great yesterday. I thought it was Connor's best game, though.

As for Helle continuously analysing every goal and asking which one was his fault is missing the point. Playoff goalies make saves they shouldn't. They steal games. Helle just...doesn't. Especially when things go off the rails he just seems to fold.

Overall though to beat a team with that much talent you need to be disciplined as hell with your team play and the cracks that started showing after the ASB were never fully repaired.

The amount of odd man rushes we gave up against Colorado wasn't an anomaly. We were all complaining about it for months
There were definitely more problems than just Helly but how many times over the years have we seen goalies with way less of a pedigree than Helly absolutely steal a series or 2 all by themselves? Helly didn't even steal 1 game in this series and that's the part that's so frustrating. Woll stood on his head last night for Toronto and won them a game and Helly can't ? Just not acceptable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad