Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Casey Mittelstadt for Bo Byram

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Kadri brings more in the playoffs though with his grit, not mention he had a 87 point season. Will Mitts ever come close to 80 points with the Avs?
Yes Kadri brings grit but Mitts brings a much better defensive game. That 87 pts season sure looks like an outlier now as most of us thought. Kadri was getting PP1. Give that to Mitts and he would be very close to Kadri if not better plus his D game.

Like I said, I take Mitts any day over him and I liked Kadri a lot.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If my math is correct, Mittlestadt put up 48 even strength points last season. That would rank him 3rd on the Avs. I didn’t adjust for per game and per minute, but that’s excellent even strength production.

Why would anyone care about his production if he doesn’t get PP time and puts up 50 points?
Now, if he gets PP1 time and doesn’t produce with those minutes, then obviously something to complain about.

But a guy who doesn’t get PP minutes, doesn’t produce PP points… why would we hold his production against him in that case?

Reactions: Bender

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If my math is correct, Mittlestadt put up 48 even strength points last season. That would rank him 3rd on the Avs. I didn’t adjust for per game and per minute, but that’s excellent even strength production.

Why would anyone care about his production if he doesn’t get PP time and puts up 50 points?
Now, if he gets PP1 time and doesn’t produce with those minutes, then obviously something to complain about.

But a guy who doesn’t get PP minutes, doesn’t produce PP points… why would we hold his production against him in that case?
Byram is the answer.

Reactions: Chiarelli

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Byram is the answer.
Ok.
I guess I can understand since that’s who he was traded for.

But I was more speaking to the Kadri comparison. Byram is a non-sensical comparison to me. Different positions with different expectations.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ok.
I guess I can understand since that’s who he was traded for.

But I was more speaking to the Kadri comparison. Byram is a non-sensical comparison to me. Different positions with different expectations.
This is where the human element comes in. Mitts will have more scrutiny simply because what it took to acquire him... a fan favorite young player who people had very high expectations for. Just go back a few years and people were saying Byram was going to be better than Makar and more reasonable talk was scolded as being a hater. Mitts is going to fight those expectations whether that is reasonable not.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's going to be very hard for Mitts to get more PP time. He's not beating out Nate, Mikko, Landy, and Drouin on PP1. if they lose a guy like Landy, they'll want Lehky as the net front/bumper guy too.

If you're blaming Mitts lack of production on not getting PP time, and you said you didn't care if Byram gets any PP time, you're just showing how your bias impacts your commentary.
Well if he doesn’t get PP1 time that’s fine but that’s some context that should absolutely be considered when it comes to his production considering his ES production is very good.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram is the answer.

Mitts got plenty of PP time in Buffalo. He was 4th in PP TOI/GM, only 10 seconds behind Tage for 1st. He just didn't put up a lot of points there.

Hoping, and thinking Mitts can get to 70 points if he improves his shot, and his consistency, has nothing to do with Byram. You might have broke your own record for the quickest to obnoxious narratives on this one.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well if he doesn’t get PP1 time that’s fine but that’s some context that should absolutely be considered when it comes to his production considering his ES production is very good.

I don't disagree, there will just be a group that won't ever accept that.

As a point of reference. Mitt for the past two seasons has averaged 2.26 p/60 5v5. Rants is 2.36. Stutzle is 2.28. Kadri is 2.14. Kaprizov is 2.14. Connor is 1.98. Svechnikov is 2.27. That's the company he is keeping. Yeah it isn't the elite 2.8+ guys like Pasta, MacK, McDavid, etc. But it is certainly in a clear group many around the league consider 1st liners. There should be zero complaints on his offense... yet here we are.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just go back a few years and people were saying Byram was going to be better than Makar and more reasonable talk was scolded as being a hater.

This is revisionist history to reinforce a false narrative. I think maybe only 1 person suggested that, and I'm not sure if it was even genuine.

This is what being a hater looks like.

Bowen = Juolevi :nod:

Quoted: Scouting has gotten better since then. Byram won't bust.
Canucks fan said this about Juolevi too. :sarcasm:
Quoted: I’d be pissed if we traded Byram before we got a chance to see what we have.
And right now Vancouver is wishing they traded Juolevi in 2016. :nod:
I don't see a high skill level in Byram. He's got some, but his abilities will be better rounded out on defense than offense.
And maybe his stats were inflated and not really representative of his overall offensive game.
when he thinks he has to be the guy offensively, he can read well enough and is talented to make something happen occasionally... but he's not smart or talented enough to do it with consistency
As I've said... Byram won't be easy to negotiate with.
(Avs won't touch Cup Finals) with Byram on the top pairing.
The idea of Byram >>>> the actuality of Byram.

Last edited:

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
I think mitts is and will be a better player than byram. That being said, hes not a very sexy type player. Hes not really big or fast. Doesnt score many goals or throw many hits. You have to really pay attention to his game to appreciate it. Byram was very inconsistent but had more of that wow ability

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think mitts is and will be a better player than byram. That being said, hes not a very sexy type player. Hes not really big or fast. Doesnt score many goals or throw many hits. You have to really pay attention to his game to appreciate it. Byram was very inconsistent but had more of that wow ability

I'd argue they've both proven to be inconsistent.

Bo's a 22 year old defenseman and Mitts is a 25 year old forward, but both have the ability and talent to be better if they can find more consistency in their game.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
I'd argue they've both proven to be inconsistent.

Bo's a 22 year old defenseman and Mitts is a 25 year old forward, but both have the ability and talent to be better if they can find more consistency in their game.
In different ways imo. Partly due to position but when mitts wasnt on, he was relatively invisible. Just dont notice him much offensively or defensively. When byram was bad, he was terrible and it ended up with the puck in our net

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In different ways imo. Partly due to position but when mitts wasnt on, he was relatively invisible. Just dont notice him much offensively or defensively. When byram was bad, he was terrible and it ended up with the puck in our net

Some of that is because of their respective positions IMO, with defenseman having nobody behind them after a mistake.

But also while I think Mitts played well for the most part, and haven't criticized much of anything with his game, he did have some defensive breakdowns of his own that led to a few goals after the trade. The back check on Benn for the tying goal in game 6 being just one example.

But this isn't representative of Mitts defensive ability. He was arguably their best defensive forward, perhaps tied with Val and Lehky, but he would occasionally have a miscue. It's just representative of his incosnsitecy IMO, which means it should be something that can be ironed out hopefully.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Some of that is because of their respective positions IMO, with defenseman having nobody behind them after a mistake.

But also while I think Mitts played well for the most part, and haven't criticized much of anything with his game, he did have some defensive breakdowns of his own that led to a few goals after the trade. The back check on Benn for the tying goal in game 6 being just one example.

But this isn't representative of Mitts defensive ability. He was arguably their best defensive forward, perhaps tied with Val and Lehky, but he would occasionally have a miscue. It's just representative of his incosnsitecy IMO, which means it should be something that can be ironed out hopefully.
Agreed and i think having a full offseason to prepare now knowing the system and expectations will help

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
This is where the human element comes in. Mitts will have more scrutiny simply because what it took to acquire him... a fan favorite young player who people had very high expectations for. Just go back a few years and people were saying Byram was going to be better than Makar and more reasonable talk was scolded as being a hater. Mitts is going to fight those expectations whether that is reasonable not.
I don't recalled anybody saying that except one poster who was also saying he would be our next captain.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
*thinking outloud* how much did those concussions kill byram potential.

I don't recalled anybody saying that except one poster who was also saying he would be our next captain.
Our next captain !!derpderp

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There were more than a few, but not worth getting into. In the end there were sky high expectations.

*thinking outloud* how much did those concussions kill byram potential.

Our next captain !!derpderp
I don’t think it killed his potential. Byram’s issues lie more in the mental aspect and getting used to not being the most talented player on the ice and being more of a guy. Still a good one, but a guy.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Hoping with his new contract he can upgrade his wardrobe and wear something other than that wool burgundy trench coat (it is really nice though)

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Mitts does some of his best goal scoring work in that same area. Tips and utilizing quick hands to gather rebounds to get greasy goals. IMO given the skill sets of both, Mitts should be ahead of Drouin on the PP too. Just as good of passer, better on the boards, better battler and better tipper of the puck.
Absolutely agree here. I think he should be given a shot to take Drouin's PP1 spot next season. I just feel they still need a bigger more physical net presence. The fact Mitts can get tip goals is great so that the PP hopefully can move around more and those guys can interchange some I just feel having 2 guys that are always pass first on a PP unit is not great.

Maybe Landy comes back which will help with that. He can do what Val did on PP
Landy coming back would be huge in replacing what Val did in front of the net. Honestly, I don't think Val truely shined at doing that job until he was given those duties full time in Landy's absense.

Reactions: the_fan

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
No one should give a f*** about Byram anymore, he's gone.

The only question that matters is can the Avs win another cup with Casey at 2C. I'm still not quite sold.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
No one should give a f*** about Byram anymore, he's gone.

The only question that matters is can the Avs win another cup with Casey at 2C. I'm still not quite sold.
Mitts is a good enough 2C to win a Cup. He was one of the best 5v5 guys for the Avs while getting some of the toughest matchups consistently. He proved he can handle it.

The cards are stacked against winning another Cup in general for many other reasons. The success or failure to win another is not at the 2C spot now. It’s more about depth, cap space, stars screwing up, regressing, or just not caring, goaltending, coaching etc. He’s simply just one piece in the puzzle and a good enough piece.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Mitts is a good enough 2C to win a Cup. He was one of the best 5v5 guys for the Avs while getting some of the toughest matchups consistently. He proved he can handle it.

The cards are stacked against winning another Cup in general for many other reasons. The success or failure to win another is not at the 2C spot now. It’s more about depth, cap space, stars screwing up, regressing, or just not caring, goaltending, coaching etc. He’s simply just one piece in the puzzle and a good enough piece.
I had no problem at all with Mittelstadt. Give him a decent scoring wing on one side, and a forechecking front net presence on the other wing, and he'll put up lot of points.

He's sneaky good along the boards also. Good hands, plays defense. A lot to like here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad