Bad Contracts

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
The Campbell trade for me is easily two 1st. Because the Oil are only able to deal in future 1st and likely bad ones at that. The trade for me would be Campbell + Ceci + '25 1st + Akey + Lavoie for Murphy + Soderblom + whatever RFA forward we want to lose the contract that Edmonton may want for depth (Reece Johnson or Entwistle being most obvious to move on from). Ceci for Murphy get the cheaper mediocre 2nd pairing RHD with a year less contract to offset some to fhe Campbell money for 2 years instead of one and Ceci has a MUCH better track record of actually being healthy and available to play. Akey and Lavoie are worth like 2 2nds or the equivalent of a bad 1st and fill the prospect pool holes of winger with some size and a RHD.

I'm not seeing the value here for CHI to take on that contract. We get out of Murphy's contract quicker but it doesn't matter because it's only two years regardless. So we take on Campbell's contract for a 2025 1st and a couple prospects -- one was hurt all year and the other is turning 24 during training camp.

If the Hawks are taking on 3 years of Campbell unretained, they need the 2025 1st and Dylan Holloway. As Holloway is the only young player in Edmonton's entire system that appears to have an NHL future, I can't imagine they'd be too keen on giving him up.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I'm not seeing the value here for CHI to take on that contract. We get out of Murphy's contract quicker but it doesn't matter because it's only two years regardless. So we take on Campbell's contract for a 2025 1st and a couple prospects -- one was hurt all year and the other is turning 24 during training camp.

If the Hawks are taking on 3 years of Campbell unretained, they need the 2025 1st and Dylan Holloway. As Holloway is the only young player in Edmonton's entire system that appears to have an NHL future, I can't imagine they'd be too keen on giving him up.
the cost for a bad contract is probably down a bit from a few years ago with the cap going up.

Reactions: Pertti

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
the cost for a bad contract is probably down a bit from a few years ago with the cap going up.

You're talking about 3 years for an AHL goaltender making 5M per. Sure the cap is going up, but the Oilers are paying Campbell to not play for them right now. Are they really going to do that for another 3 years and waste that money?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Campbell was actually alright in the AHL this year. Edmonton might give him another shot next season. But if they decide to move him in the off season, I would only trade for him for their next 2 1st rounders. '25 and '26 1sts. Edmonton getting out of 5 mil for the next 3 years is a pretty big deal for them. They could find another top 4 D with that money or at least pay the majority of the contract.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
my point is what the market was 2 off seasons ago for dumping contracts was higher then last year and last year is higher then this year. Yes the longer of the term and the dollar amount will effect the cost. But ulitanmelety its what the market will bear and 2 1sts is not market. some other team would except his contract for less in my opinion. the hawks have the space and it will get unused and they may also want a backup goalie if Soderbloom starts out slow. I would probably do it for a 1st and another asset.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
my point is what the market was 2 off seasons ago for dumping contracts was higher then last year and last year is higher then this year. Yes the longer of the term and the dollar amount will effect the cost. But ulitanmelety its what the market will bear and 2 1sts is not market. some other team would except his contract for less in my opinion. the hawks have the space and it will get unused and they may also want a backup goalie if Soderbloom starts out slow. I would probably do it for a 1st and another asset.
Agreed that the market will potentially have more "facilitators" with the cap going up, which theoretically decrease the return.

With that said - Campbell's getting paid $13.5M over the next 3 years (contract was slightly front loaded). Some of the teams with cap space might not want to pony up that amount of $'s for the draft capital. People typically throw out the Marleau deal, where CAR got TOR's 1st for eating $6M'ish of cap space and $4M of real $'s. That deal got the Canes Seth Jarvis - so it has paid off huge. I think that a Campbell deal is definitely a 1st + ?, but not sure if it's worth 2x 1st.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I think a fair price for Davidson to take Campbell would be 2025 1st rder , 2026 2nd rder and a top 5 prospect from Oilers pool . Campbell could rebound with the pressure off him as well .

4. Beau Akey, RHD, 18 (Barrie Colts)

A top player on a top team in the OHL last year, Akey is a beautiful, flowing skater with plus-level mobility in all four directions and impressive balance and edges. He can transition pucks up ice, join in transition, walk the line and fall back onto his heels and edges whenever he needs to. He’s got good hands under pressure. I don’t love the term “hockey sense,” but he’s got that too and reads the game well. I like him defending the rush, where he uses his feet and stick to manage gaps and steer opposing carriers. I like the way he sees the ice and joins the offence. He can run a power play (though he might not in the NHL) and likes to make himself available as a shot option at five-on-five. His game defensively does lack a little polish and attention to detail at times, but there’s a lot to work with. An illness and a trio of injuries have unfortunately set him back a little after a strong start to his post-draft season with a good showing in his first NHL camp, but Akey remains a B or B-plus prospect and I think if he gets healthy and back to himself, he’s got a chance to compete for a roster spot with Team Canada at next year’s world juniors in Ottawa.

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

We do not need to “get out of Murphy’s contract quicker”. It’s not a benefit.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
We do not need to “get out of Murphy’s contract quicker”. It’s not a benefit.

Murphy's bad and injury prone. I certainly see it as a benefit. But the Hawks aren't under any kind of pressure to move the contract.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Murphy is a fine 2nd pairing Dman.

Fine in what sense? Because the Hawks have been a bad defensive and transition team for his entire tenure and he's gotten a lot of icetime -- seems he's part of the problem. The guy simply doesn't make plays, can't breakout of his zone and he doesn't even get stops. His greatest attribute is his size and physicality but he's usually chasing the game with it, playing reactively. When you think of Murphy, what exactly does he do well?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I bet Murphy gets traded for value in his last year. He can go be some playoff team's third pairing RHD that year.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I bet Murphy gets traded for value in his last year. He can go be some playoff team's third pairing RHD that year.
I actually think there’s gonna be some teams that would trade for him this year if he could stay healthy through January 1 the hawks could retain 50% to increase his value, At 2.2 RD. With size he has value but he has to prove he can stay healthy.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Fine in what sense? Because the Hawks have been a bad defensive and transition team for his entire tenure and he's gotten a lot of icetime -- seems he's part of the problem. The guy simply doesn't make plays, can't breakout of his zone and he doesn't even get stops. His greatest attribute is his size and physicality but he's usually chasing the game with it, playing reactively. When you think of Murphy, what exactly does he do well?
His game is fine. Most of his tenure has been during a Bowman’s screw up and now the rebuild.
Played last season with a rookie just breaking in. … Rookie looked very good. Then Murphy got hurt and posters were wondering why the rookie didn’t play well any longer. Coincidence?

Reactions: Pertti

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Fine in what sense? Because the Hawks have been a bad defensive and transition team for his entire tenure and he's gotten a lot of icetime -- seems he's part of the problem.
That just means the Hawks have been a bad team and Murphy isn't of a caliber to significantly elevate a team or D Core, which nobody would have claimed, not that it proves he's bad.

Reactions: bwana63

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
His game is fine. Most of his tenure has been during a Bowman’s screw up and now the rebuild.
Played last season with a rookie just breaking in. … Rookie looked very good. Then Murphy got hurt and posters were wondering why the rookie didn’t play well any longer. Coincidence?

From the start of the season through to January 1st, Korchinski was sitting at 40% xGF%. He finished the year at 41.1%. He was getting buried in chances the whole year, "posters" may not have noticed until the season really started to go off the rails at the mid-way point.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
That just means the Hawks have been a bad team and Murphy isn't of a caliber to significantly elevate a team or D Core, which nobody would have claimed, not that it proves he's bad.

Why are the Hawks a bad team? What makes any team bad? When you have bad players playing in over their heads. Connor Murphy does not have any attributes of a top-4 D. He's a bottom-pairing guy. He's played his entire career to bottom-pairing results. He does not tilt the ice in his team's favour. Even Hammer, declining at the end of his career, played to 51% xGF% in Arizona his final 150 games. Connor Murphy, in his 155 games in Arizona, played to 46% xGF% -- about the same as he's played to in his tenure as a Hawk. It's not team effects. It's player effects.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Because Connor Murphy? lol, I don't think so

A player playing over their head doesn't make them "bad", that's more a team issue. If you are stuck with Adam Lowry as your top Center, that doesn't make Adam Lowry "bad", it means the team doesn't enough talent.

You don't think that playing Connor Murphy 20+ mins a night is part of why CHI has been bad? Because it absolutely is. Murphy's best season with Chicago was his first, the last time they had a real coach, when Q played him 16 mins a night and he played to 52% xGF%.

Is Adam Lowry a bad 1st line centre? Yes. Just like Murphy is a bad top-4 Dman. Murphy would be a fine #5. He hasn't been played or paid like a #5.

Reactions: statswatcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad