Salary Cap: Bertuzzi's next contract

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
We now know that Bertuzzi will not be traded this season. We know he's a bit of a lightning rod around here, so let's look at the facts:

- Over the past four seasons, he has 151 points in 204 games (.74 PPG, ~61 points per 82 games)
- He just turned 27
- HIs vaccination status likely will not be an issue going forward
- He had back surgery last summer
- He's a UFA after next season
- Negotiations with him appear to have been difficult in the past

Personally, I think Bertuzzi has been miscast as a power forward mostly because of his last name and his looks. He definitely goes to hard areas but he's not some big bruiser. He has 158 career PIM over 259 games.

So, given all of this, what's your upper limit for Bertuzzi's next contract? Basically, at what point do you say "not worth it for the Wings at this point, let's trade him to a contender"?

Here are some recent comps to keep in mind:

- Taylor Hall - 24/4 - $6M AAV
- Gabriel Landeskog - 56/8 - $7M AAV
- Conor Garland - 24.75/5 - $4.95M AAV
- Josh Anderson - 38.5/7 - $5.5M AAV
- Tyler Toffoli - 17/4 - $4.25M AAV
- Brendan Gallagher - 39/6 - $6.5M AAV
- Anthony Mantha - 22.8/4 - $5.7M AAV
- Oliver Bjorkstrand - 27/5 - $5.4M AAV

My guess is Yzerman aims for a Mantha-like deal that's shorter term (4 years) with a slightly higher AAV than market value (~$6M). I would be weary of giving Bertuzzi more than five years. I assume they'll sign him which will maximize his trade value if they decide to trade him but won't hamper them long term if they decide to keep him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't know that the contract is the deciding factor. I think a first line winger is the best trade chip Detroit has to package up to try to finally land that elusive 2C.

So either Yzerman finds a team in the next 12 months to make that deal, or he doesn't and Bert stays here.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I don't know that the contract is the deciding factor. I think a first line winger is the best trade chip Detroit has to package up to try to finally land that elusive 2C.

So either Yzerman finds a team in the next 12 months to make that deal, or he doesn't and Bert stays here.
If Bertuzzi will only sign a 6-7 year deal, I think Yzerman will trade him regardless.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
We now know that Bertuzzi will not be traded this season. We know he's a bit of a lightning rod around here, so let's look at the facts:

- Over the past four seasons, he has 151 points in 204 games (.74 PPG, ~61 points per 82 games)
- He just turned 27

Personally, I think Bertuzzi has been miscast as a power forward mostly because of his last name and his looks. He definitely goes to hard areas but he's not some big bruiser. He has 158 career PIM over 259 games.

So, given all of this, what's your upper limit for Bertuzzi's next contract? Basically, at what point do you say "not worth it for the Wings at this point, let's trade him to a contender"?

My guess is Yzerman aims for a Mantha-like deal that's shorter term (4 years) with a slightly higher AAV than market value (~$6M). I would be weary of giving Bertuzzi more than five years. I assume they'll sign him which will maximize his trade value if they decide to trade him but won't hamper them long term if they decide to keep him.

I think the upper limit is the Gallagher deal for me.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think if Bert we’re gonna sign for $6.5M that would’ve been done on his last deal.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think if Bert we’re gonna sign for $6.5M that would’ve been done on his last deal.

Why? Coming off a back injury and with value that still fell short compared to a player like Mantha on the open market. He didn't have the case to negotiate close to the $6.5 mark

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Why? Coming off a back injury and with value that still fell short compared to a player like Mantha on the open market. He didn't have the case to negotiate close to the $6.5 mark
Bert is a far more well rounded player who isn’t nearly as injury prone even with the back issue, and unlike Mantha you don’t have to wonder every single game whether Bert is actually gonna put in an effort.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Bert is a far more well rounded player who isn’t nearly as injury prone even with the back issue, and unlike Mantha you don’t have to wonder every single game whether Bert is actually gonna put in an effort.

That’s not how free agent market economics work

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Having a back surgery is way worse than anything that has happened to Mantha.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

- He just turned 27

Man, I was thinking 5x7.25
Maybe that's high.
5x6.25 might still be good.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Who has missed more games due to injury?

Who has had an injury and surgical procedure that stands the highest chance of popping up as a recurring or degrading injury that eats away at the playing days of the player?

Bertuzzi has played 252 games in 5 primary seasons.
Mantha has played 325 games in 6 primary seasons.

This debate isn't nearly as eye opening as you think it is.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Who has missed more games due to injury?
Mantha, but not by a whole lot. And back injuries that require surgery are about as serious an injury as you can have. Look at how Zetterberg struggled hard against them. In fact Bert and Z had their surgeries done by the same surgeon.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'd be comfortable offering 5-6 years at somewhere in the 6.0-7.0 per year range. I wouldn't offer 7-8 years though, he plays a style that isn't feasible 35+ age wise.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Mantha, but not by a whole lot. And back injuries that require surgery are about as serious an injury as you can have. Look at how Zetterberg struggled hard against them. In fact Bert and Z had their surgeries done by the same surgeon.

How many games did Hank miss after getting his back surgery?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad