Blackhawks at the 2024 IIHF World Championships

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
What is up with Bedard? Haven't had a chance to watch the last couple games. Doesn't seem like it's his best work, but would like something from someone not named fiddy lol

F86puck

Feb 20, 2020
Watching Connor at IIHF concerns me. He needs to be consistent. Multipoint games are nice but I don't want many games with zero especially against teams not stocked with majority NHL players. When he has the puck, I don't see the dynamic stick handling and speed I see with McDavid or MacKinnon. But yes, he's still 18.

Reactions: Pertti

ello

Jun 12, 2018
What is up with Bedard? Haven't had a chance to watch the last couple games. Doesn't seem like it's his best work, but would like something from someone not named fiddy lol
Short leash. Even when he was playing well and scoring he was second unit pp and wouldn’t see the ice in the last 5 mins of a game. It’s clear Tourigny has zero trust in him defensively, and now that he’s gone cold he basically has no real role on the team.

Bedard had success against some of the countries with very few NHLers but since the pace increased against more competitive teams he’s been a bit of a non-factor. Turns the puck over quite a bit, timing overall seems off and doesn’t have the physical skills like guys like Cozens and Hagel to retrieve pucks

IMO this tourneys really highlighted that skating should be his number one priority this summer and probably every summer, especially if he’s going to play centre long term

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Short leash. Even when he was playing well and scoring he was second unit pp and wouldn’t see the ice in the last 5 mins of a game. It’s clear Tourigny has zero trust in him defensively, and now that he’s gone cold he basically has no real role on the team.

Bedard had success against some of the countries with very few NHLers but since the pace increased against more competitive teams he’s been a bit of a non-factor. Turns the puck over quite a bit, timing overall seems off and doesn’t have the physical skills like guys like Cozens and Hagel to retrieve pucks

IMO this tourneys really highlighted that skating should be his number one priority this summer and probably every summer, especially if he’s going to play centre long term

Maybe fiddy is onto something..

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

No real role lol. That’s called shitty coaching. You don’t bench McDavid because he makes some defensive errors.

Typical play the vets who aren’t actually any good and bench the kid who’s a difference maker. Hopefully Canada loses so that message gets across.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That DBag Tavares showed up and took his ice time.

(to be clear, I have nothing against John Tavares on a personal level and don't take this too seriously)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Bedard takes stupid penalty behind the play cross-checking a Checkia player in the o-zone at the Checklia goal-crease...Checkia score on the PP to get back within a goal .

Tourigny benches Bedard rest of 3rd period
. Never saw another shift.

CHECKIA scores again on a late PP and with goalie pulled to tie the game. Kubalik the hero.

So basically Bedard's selfish penalty opened the gates to let Checkia back into the game... it went to OT tied 3-3.

Of course Bedard never saw the ice in OT..

Canada takes penalty with 2 minutes to go in OT but the Canadian hero ,Dylan Cozens scores again with a shorty to win it .

Seems to me Cozens looks Generational not Bedard who not only was a non-factor last 5 GP +2 periods but did sone negative things:

His first shift in 1st period Bedard made a Generational turnover that almost cost Canada a goal on a break'away but the Checkia shooter could not beat Binnington...after that near-miss Bedard did play the rest ofthat shift looking like his old self creating sone danger plays that might have led to a score...but did not end in a Canada score

On another shift later in the game Bedard FINALLY got off a shot on goal..butvof course did not beat Dostal in the Checkia net ...

But basically again Bedard a non-factor for the shifts he did have till his benching after his selfish cross-check penalty away from the play resulted in a poor play goal to give the Checkia team the momentum back and eventually get tgat late tying PP goal on a 6 on 4 to send it to OT.

In other words Bedard almost a culprit if not rescued from that embarrassment and his benching embarrassment by the Canada hero Cozens who has been GREAT and consistently Great all tournament.

Verdict: Bedard has fizzled after first 2 games and a period of play...in subsequent 4 gamescandc2 0riods has been a non-factor and benched 2 times by Tourigny (last game sat down 1 shift only) but did not see Pp time anymore..and this game after his costly penalty sat down for rest of the 3rd period and OT....never saw the ice again.

Clearly Tourigny not pleased with Brfard's pjay ,lack of contribution,showing basically nothing,AND now the last straw...a stupid costly penalty that fully deserves a benching.

Interesting to see if Bedard even merits another shift the rest of the tournament in the crucial quarter-final and possible semi-final and medal games.

Bedard has disappointed after his early hot start.

Just like his kastc14GP for the Hawks in regular season his pkay dropped off...fizzled...Same thing at WHC and seems like Tourigny sees the ineffectiveness plus the lack of trust defensively that would be over-looked if Bedard was producing.. all this has led to less ice-tome and maybe a benching restvofvthe tournament.

Does Bedard deserve to play again after a trending down fizzle and costing the team with a selfish unnecessary penalty away from the play?
I think the warm euphoria on Bedard after the first 2 games and a goal in game 3 ,has really turned to a frustration at his lack of performance since then...to the point that he deserves to be parked on the bench ..

Sad for Hawks fans to see this..and yes he us still only 18...but still,Tourigny is tasked with coaching Canada to a Good Medal and playing this version of a non-effective Bedard would take ice-time away from others who ARE playing better than him and contributing more .

We shall see what Torigny does in using him again or not in the elimination games hat not begins for the Championship.

Frankly ..in my opinion,Bedard desrrves e benched...or put more kindly,there is little reason to justify ice-time for hom ..

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I'm not worried about Bedard.
I think it's a) coaches favoring vets over 18 year olds and b) we all know Bedard has work to do in his own zone, coaches tend not to like that.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Bedard has been outplayed by other players, is all. He is in a funk and the coach is limiting his ice time. He maybe is trying too hard, keep in mind he's still a 18 year old, no matter what kind of potential.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I'm not worried about Bedard.
I think it's a) coaches favoring vets over 18 year olds and b) we all know Bedard has work to do in his own zone, coaches tend not to like that.

Bedard has been outplayed by other players, is all. He is in a funk and the coach is limiting his ice time. He maybe is trying too hard, keep in mind he's still a 18 year old, no matter what kind of potential.
You guys are nuts. I call for unrestrained panic.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
You are calling g the facts and the eye-testvof fans nuts?

Do notcshoot the messenger...wezarexrepirting the naked truth.

If you doubtbour "pabic" and think t that His Holiness Bedard is just in a temporary funk and off form ...maybe the Hockey News article headlined Bedard saghing,Reichel surging is both startling and unexpected...but the Truth .is,Reichel is performing for Germany and Bedard is playing only a bit more than 8 minutes a game now and off the power play units ...and after today's benching for the remainder of the game after his costly 3rd period cross-check behind the playat the German net,he might get benched the rest of the tournament.

He us not justifying NY further ice-time by his ineffective and uninspired play as well as selfish penalty goofs.

Not just sagging ...stinking play.

Different if he created scoring chances and just had bad luck on finishing or his linenates not finishing plays from him...rather hevis neither generating many chances for them or for himself.

Hard to explain this off form funk.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Yes Bedard is still only 18 ..but nobody can deny he has done nothing the past 4 games and 2periods since that 5th goal ...his INEFFECTVE play kept earning hom less and less time on ice and less pp time till his coach had no choice but to give him more PP role even on the 2nd unit...then in game 6 he got benched ...but for just 1 shift ..
And today in game 7 he got benched for the remainder of the when his selfish cross-check penalty resulted in a goal on the ensuing PP...changing the momentum from a comfortable 3-1lead for Canada to 3-2 and inspiring Checkia to get the goal to get it to OT.. Canada won despite Bedard almost being the culprit for a because Dylan Cozens is surging with excellence ...but Bedard clearly sagged over the last 4 games and 2/3of game 3..

These are facts.. I did not invent this ongoing story regarding his falk from grace..

If hevis injured and is effecting his play to a worse than average player,then he should not be playing...but if he is sone mental funk because he never has experienced such a sustained period of successive games not only as a scoring slump but not generating even much threat of contributing offense,then his own mental panic and loss of confidence to return to difference -making is a cause of deep concern.

In any case he has lost the confidence and trust of his coach ...Connor Bedard as a limited use forward or as a completely benched 13th forward if that happens next game,is a major disappointment both to fans and to himself no doubt.

He has not experienced such a funk before...you know it weighs on hom
.but his coach cannot wait any longer and he himself made his own bed of realky not deserving much if any ice-time...others have raised their level of play ...he kept trending downward to the point of being pretty useless.

Again I get his ...but everybody praised his hot start the first 2 games and a bit of game 3 with
comments how amazing it was an 18 year old could be so effectively productive ...once he fell off the rails however we are supposed to use the "just18 " excuse ? No Way..

The fact he went from great to stinky being stinky almost twice as long as he was great (great vs. vs. weaker teams) and now has gotten himself benched cannot be washed away with the "justc18" excise ..as the #1overall and touted as Generational and as someone who always dominated agaibatvokder completion alk hos hockey career,nobody is going to let hom off the hook with the "just 18 " excise.

I was cheering for hom ..did not want to see hom go into a funk where his mental frustration at nit being able to produce offense the last several games and earning a seat on the bench ,is a cause for concern..You cannot allow frustration to ruin your focus especially when it causes you to take bad untimely momentum changing penalties causing the opponents to make your team pay for your sins..

I do not knowvifvthe Tavares arrival took away the spotlight from hom on Team Canada and that such a transfer of a "go to" role mentally messed him up..but in any case he looks messed up and is not doing anything to earn his coach's trust back.

Yes hevis frustrated at his own lack of goid pkay now..it has messed up his confidence ..But ifvyou accept the praise in goid times you must accept criticism in baspkay times..

We should not let hom off the hook by using the ^just 18 excuse" ...Bedard himself will not accept such an excuse.

He IS in a funk...andvin a short tournament the coach must rely on players who are not in a funk...there is no time like in an 82 game season to work one's way out of the funk.

So here we are with the brutal truth..if he plays like this ,he really does not merit much ice-
time...

So I would not call it a "backlash" against Bedard ...rather just calling him out when we have seen him play so much better..
It is not so much hard criticism but an honest pointing out that better is expected from him...

Him "sagging" is more disappointing than anything ...there is no joy in pointing out
his poor play after praising his hot start...we want him to shine ...but instead he has falken off the cliff.

And so our "concern" is justified...we do expect better.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Yes Bedard is still only 18 ..but nobody can deny he has done nothing the past 4 games and 2periods since that 5th goal ...his INEFFECTVE play kept earning hom less and less time on ice and less pp time till his coach had no choice but to give him more PP role even on the 2nd unit...then in game 6 he got benched ...but for just 1 shift ..
And today in game 7 he got benched for the remainder of the when his selfish cross-check penalty resulted in a goal on the ensuing PP...changing the momentum from a comfortable 3-1lead for Canada to 3-2 and inspiring Checkia to get the goal to get it to OT.. Canada won despite Bedard almost being the culprit for a because Dylan Cozens is surging with excellence ...but Bedard clearly sagged over the last 4 games and 2/3of game 3..

These are facts.. I did not invent this ongoing story regarding his falk from grace..

If hevis injured and is effecting his play to a worse than average player,then he should not be playing...but if he is sone mental funk because he never has experienced such a sustained period of successive games not only as a scoring slump but not generating even much threat of contributing offense,then his own mental panic and loss of confidence to return to difference -making is a cause of deep concern.

In any case he has lost the confidence and trust of his coach ...Connor Bedard as a limited use forward or as a completely benched 13th forward if that happens next game,is a major disappointment both to fans and to himself no doubt.

He has not experienced such a funk before...you know it weighs on hom
.but his coach cannot wait any longer and he himself made his own bed of realky not deserving much if any ice-time...others have raised their level of play ...he kept trending downward to the point of being pretty useless.

Again I get his ...but everybody praised his hot start the first 2 games and a bit of game 3 with
comments how amazing it was an 18 year old could be so effectively productive ...once he fell off the rails however we are supposed to use the "just18 " excuse ? No Way..

The fact he went from great to stinky being stinky almost twice as long as he was great (great vs. vs. weaker teams) and now has gotten himself benched cannot be washed away with the "justc18" excise ..as the #1overall and touted as Generational and as someone who always dominated agaibatvokder completion alk hos hockey career,nobody is going to let hom off the hook with the "just 18 " excise.

I was cheering for hom ..did not want to see hom go into a funk where his mental frustration at nit being able to produce offense the last several games and earning a seat on the bench ,is a cause for concern..You cannot allow frustration to ruin your focus especially when it causes you to take bad untimely momentum changing penalties causing the opponents to make your team pay for your sins..

I do not knowvifvthe Tavares arrival took away the spotlight from hom on Team Canada and that such a transfer of a "go to" role mentally messed him up..but in any case he looks messed up and is not doing anything to earn his coach's trust back.

Yes hevis frustrated at his own lack of goid pkay now..it has messed up his confidence ..But ifvyou accept the praise in goid times you must accept criticism in baspkay times..

We should not let hom off the hook by using the ^just 18 excuse" ...Bedard himself will not accept such an excuse.

He IS in a funk...andvin a short tournament the coach must rely on players who are not in a funk...there is no time like in an 82 game season to work one's way out of the funk.

So here we are with the brutal truth..if he plays like this ,he really does not merit much ice-
time...

So I would not call it a "backlash" against Bedard ...rather just calling him out when we have seen him play so much better..
It is not so much hard criticism but an honest pointing out that better is expected from him...

Him "sagging" is more disappointing than anything ...there is no joy in pointing out
his poor play after praising his hot start...we want him to shine ...but instead he has falken off the cliff.

And so our "concern" is justified...we do expect better.
So better output than McDavid had while being a year younger concerns you?
It sucks that you’re going to whine like a little bitch about every flaw Bedard has (real or imagined) just like you trashed Patrick Kane for 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad