Proposal: Blockbuster: MTL + L.A. + S.J. (edited)

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Gallagher is coming off a year in which he scored 16 goals, 31 points in 77 games

Dubois put up 16 goals, 40 points in 82 games

Over the last 5 seasons, Gallagher has 67 goals, 135 points in 264 games

Dubois over that same stretch has 98 goals, 233 points in 352 games
Neither Gallagher or PLD are performing up to their contract but one is signed for 3 yrs and one is signed for 7. I will keep the one that is shorter that I can buy out the last year of if I need the space by then, the one who works hard every shift over the disaster that is 7 more years of a lazy PLD

Edit over that stretch a broken down Gally is at .25 GPG and PLD is .28. No one will give anything of value to get PLD. also the edit to this - no way is SJ giving up 7th for 2 late 1sts and Mtls garbage.

SJ and Mtl both say no

Reactions: HabsAddict

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Habs could just wait and see if the Kings buy out PLD and then sign him to a prove contract.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Montreal's brass aren't who they used to be and Quebec's demographics aren't what they used to be either. There's no way they would lose out on a trade so badly to have a French speaking disappointment anymore, when the fanbase cares less and less about them with every year that goes by.

F that guy, i don't want anyone with that kind of attitude poisoning the well in Montreal anymore.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
EDIT: Granlund has been removed from the deal, and replaced with a 7th rd pick

Habs --> #26, Gallagher, Anderson
Habs <-- Dubois

Kings --> #21, Dubois
Kings <-- S.J.'s '24 7th

Sharks --> '24 7th
Sharks <-- #21, #26, Gallagher, Anderson

Montreal fill a position of need with a pretty significant upgrade in talent at C while also creating 3.5 million in additional cap space

Los Angeles get out from under Dubois' long term contract while also creating 3.5 million in additional cap space

San Jose add a pair of 1st round picks for simply taking on some of the salary they'll need anyways in order to reach the cap floor in the coming seasons
Good for Habs and Sharks, not horrible for LA. One of the better proposals I’ve seen.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What a terrible trade for the Sharks. We're not here to do Montreal any favors. You'll need to pay significantly more to make this sort of thing work. As in, you'd have to add what amounts to another 3 1st round picks to make it agreeable on top of the 21 and 26 being offered here.

Good for Habs and Sharks, not horrible for LA. One of the better proposals I’ve seen.
It is garbage for the Sharks.

• Haha
Reactions: General Fanager

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
EDIT: Granlund has been removed from the deal, and replaced with a 7th rd pick

Habs --> #26, Gallagher, Anderson
Habs <-- Dubois

Kings --> #21, Dubois
Kings <-- S.J.'s '24 7th

Sharks --> '24 7th
Sharks <-- #21, #26, Gallagher, Anderson

Montreal fill a position of need with a pretty significant upgrade in talent at C while also creating 3.5 million in additional cap space

Los Angeles get out from under Dubois' long term contract while also creating 3.5 million in additional cap space

San Jose add a pair of 1st round picks for simply taking on some of the salary they'll need anyways in order to reach the cap floor in the coming seasons
Dubois not coming to Montreal

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Having dead cap for a while doesn't seem to be an issue for San Jose and Grier seems kind of dumb, so the trade to San Jose might work, but the Habs aren't giving up a 1st to take on PLD, so this deal dies there.
What is kind of dumb is suggesting Grier would strategically take on the sorts of contracts he has worked so diligently to trade away.

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Kings coming out like bandits here.

I like the idea of losing both Gally and Anderson, but not in exchange for 7 years of Dubois. To add a 1st round pick on top of that? Hell no!

The only way you get me to be willing to accept Dubois is with 2 conditions:
  1. You retain some salary (~2m per season).
  2. LAK 1st comes to Habs (so it would be Gallagher + Anderson for Dubois retained + 21st overall pick).
Don't like it? We have no use for a problem player like Dubois.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
How do you figure?

His traded are OK, or worse. Hasn't really done anything really good for the team to this point. While retaining on Karlsson is fair, he likely could have dealt Hertl without retention.

Gallagher will finish his career on LTIR everyone knows this
I figured he'd be on that already, but the Habs can't have that with him and Price.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
His traded are OK, or worse. Hasn't really done anything really good for the team to this point. While retaining on Karlsson is fair, he likely could have dealt Hertl without retention.
I don't think your expectations are all that realistic if you think an injured 30 year old Tomas Hertl with a full no-move and six more years was going to be dealt at a shade over 8.1 mil without retention.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't think your expectations are all that realistic if you think an injured 30 year old Tomas Hertl with a full no-move and six more years was going to be dealt at a shade over 8.1 mil without retention.
People like to assume Grier loses trades because they assume that there was a better trade out there that he just ignored. The reality is that Hertl’s contract was awful and no one was taking it on without retention.

People were up in arms because the Sharks didn’t retain more money on the Karlsson contract. Then they were up in arms because the Sharks retained too much money on the Hertl contract. Almost like they’re just using the Sharks as a convenient punching bag or something.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
yeah, everyone posting here stating LA would do this, prepare to be shocked

LA absolutely doesn't do this

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No, but you do what the Sharks did in the Karlsson deal and take on players to compensate that, so the Sharks can then be a 3rd party in deals to get more picks in deadline deals.

You get your 1st + and the those contracts you're taking on. Those players either play well and the Sharks can potentially flip those players, or they suck, or they're just OK and stay with the team under their contract runs out.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
But then they'd still have Gallagher and Anderson on their payroll...
Gallagher was a point a game player in his last ten and Anderson could be sent to Laval. Did wonders for Armia. Not looking to contend this year but the playoffs are within the spectrum of possibilities. Cap is no problem this year and worry about next years cap next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad