Breakthrough players: 2020/21 season

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, he is probably not mentioned here yet because he is a loan. And this thread mostly concdentrates on KHL players who have NHL potential. But he should be.

P.S. Come on, guys who really "love" me on this boards. I am praising a player who developed in NA, because he deserves it.:sarcasm:
I think he has a chance to play in the NHL. If anything it got me to watch more KHL hockey than I ever have and enjoyed it

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think he has a chance to play in the NHL. If anything it got me to watch more KHL hockey than I ever have and enjoyed it
That is also why I think he absolutely qualifies for this thread at this point. Probably just two loans who stand out in a positive way that much. Samorukov and him. Samorukov being invited to the NT for the EHT is well deserved. I wanted Chekhovich there too.

Tenkkapoo

Jul 28, 2020
Dimitry Voronkov. He will become an NHL player pretty soon (if he wants to leave there).

Voronkov is a perfect example why every single Russian prospect should stay in Russia until they are NHL ready. Right now Voronkov is just so much better than players such as Klim Kostin and German Rubtsov who are a few years older than Voronkov and who were once at least as good a prospects as Voronkov was (if not better). Rubtsov and Kostin spent a few season playing junior hockey in Canada ."Pursuing their dream of making the NHL as soon as possible". And look at them now! They pretty much suck at KHL level. Their dream of NHL became a nightmare.

Another good example is Alexander Khovanov. Khovanov and Voronkov are both born in 2000 and both come from Kazan organisation. At 17 Khovanov was regarded a better prospect than Voronkov if I remember it correctly. Then Khovanov went on to play three full seasons of junior hockey in Canada. This season he came back to Russia and from the start if was clear that he was not ready for KHL hockey. Meanwhile Voronkov has become an absolute two-way beast and made a fantastic debut in the national team in Moscow tournament.

A question would have to be arised that where would Khovanov be right now if he had stayed in Russia like Voronkov did? The current analysis of Khovanov situation is that those three years in Canada were pretty much wasted. Is he any better hockey player now than he was before he left?

Reactions: mazmin and Atas2000

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Can we leave this NA vs. Russia thing out of at least one thread? Everyone who visits the KHL board regularly knows everything there is to say about the situation. Over the years this has been one of those blessed threads that are informative and free of redundant flaming, lets keep it that way.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Can we leave this NA vs. Russia thing out of at least one thread? Everyone who visits the KHL board regularly knows everything there is to say about the situation. Over the years this has been one of those blessed threads that are informative and free of redundant flaming, lets keep it that way.
This is still all true about Voronkov and Mamin and bunches of others who did not look out of place on the senior NT at all.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I don't think Voronkov stood in the same boat as Hovanov, when they were junior prospects. This is so endless, I think it depends more on a character of a player and not on where he decided to develop his career. But you can't do what Shen had done and go there as an absolutely raw player.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hey, who do you think will be a better dman long term dronov or zub? Who looked better in the khl?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Hey, who do you think will be a better dman long term dronov or zub? Who looked better in the khl?
If you take into account their age, Dronov is the better player and I'd say it isn't particularly close. If you don't account for their age, it becomes pretty close. Zub obviously has better offensive tools at the moment.

Reactions: EXTRAS

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If you take into account their age, Dronov is the better player and I'd say it isn't particularly close. If you don't account for their age, it becomes pretty close. Zub obviously has better offensive tools at the moment.

Oh that's great to hear! I own both in a pretty deep dynasty league. I grabbed dronov a few years ago, and other than the injuries, everything seems to have gone pretty good. Now I just need to cross my fingers he will cross the pond in the next year or two. I'd love for either one to become even half the dman gavrikov has become!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Oh that's great to hear! I own both in a pretty deep dynasty league. I grabbed dronov a few years ago, and other than the injuries, everything seems to have gone pretty good. Now I just need to cross my fingers he will cross the pond in the next year or two. I'd love for either one to become even half the dman gavrikov has become!
I think Dronov is a candidate though to stay in the KHL for a successful career. The lack of interest from overseas and his injury history will likely make him want to stay put in the KHL and make good money for many years.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

The "at the moment" part sounded a bit funny to me, in context that currently Zub is not playing at all and Dronov has 6 points in the last 4 games. :)

I think Dronov is a candidate though to stay in the KHL for a successful career. The lack of interest from overseas and his injury history will likely make him want to stay put in the KHL and make good money for many years.

That's why he hired Dan Milstein. :sarcasm:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Dmitri Voronkov
Sergei Tolchinsky
Yegor Chinakhov
Dmitri Samorukov
Yegor Sharangovich
Georgi Ivanov
Grigori Dronov
Kirill Marchenko
Nikita Kamalov
Gleb Koryagin
Sergei Zborovsky
Pavel Karnaukhov
Daniil Miromanov
Pavel Kraskovsky
Rafael Bikmullin
Alexander Petunin
Nikita Shashkov
Roman Manukhov

Hey great op, SoundAndFury. Do you have any 3 month updates on any of these players? I'd especially love to hear your new thoughts on Voronkov, Chinakov, Sharangovich, Marchenko, Miromanov and Kraskovsky.

Also any insight on Denis Alexeyev's season with Locomotiv?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Hey great op, SoundAndFury. Do you have any 3 month updates on any of these players? I'd especially love to hear your new thoughts on Voronkov, Chinakov, Sharangovich, Marchenko, Miromanov and Kraskovsky.

Also any insight on Denis Alexeyev's season with Locomotiv?
I intend to do another write-up at the end of the regular season, so in a couple of weeks. Just makes little sense to do it now with the end of the season so close. Might as well count the chickens after they hatch, so to say. If you have more concrete urgent questions, however, I'm sure me and other posters would be happy to answer.

Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The "at the moment" part sounded a bit funny to me, in context that currently Zub is not playing at all and Dronov has 6 points in the last 4 games. :)

That's why he hired Dan Milstein. :sarcasm:
Milstein is Datsyuk's agent, no?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Milstein is Datsyuk's agent, no?

Technically Datsyuk's agent is Svyatoslav Kiselyov, who is basically Milstein's KHL proxy, as Milstein himself doesn't have a KHL licence. Dronov wasn't a client of such proxies I think, so the only reason I could think of Dronov having business with him is to be represented in the NHL market.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Technically Datsyuk's agent is Svyatoslav Kiselyov, who is basically Milstein's KHL proxy, as Milstein himself doesn't have a KHL licence. Dronov wasn't a client of such proxies I think, so the only reason I could think of Dronov having business with him is to be represented in the NHL market.
...which is not surprising. Every player his age considers the NHL option. I was more projecting. Given Dronov's history, i.e. lack of interest from overseas due to his injuries at key times he might as well settle for a KHL career.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
...which is not surprising. Every player his age considers the NHL option. I was more projecting. Given Dronov's history, i.e. lack of interest from overseas due to his injuries at key times he might as well settle for a KHL career.

Injuries are a factor that's for sure, but as for the lack of interest, we just don't know if it is that way, since after Eronko we don't have more or less reliable hockey journalists anymore to provide that kind of info. From my point of view, if there would be no interest, there also wouldn't be much interest from Milstein himself to work with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad