Prospect Info: C/RW Matthew Savoie, 9th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft - Traded to Moose Jaw 1/4/24

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
It seems like you've been watching a lot of him.
Does he need a full season in Rochester in 2024-25?
Or can he make, and stay with, the big club out of training camp?

if we had the old UFA / cap rules, then I'd give him 2 full years in Rochester.

But since we only have control to 27, he needs to be up when he is ready for top 6 duty

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
I almost hoped that Saskatoon won today so Matt could FINALLY leave junior hockey.
I only see highlights, and I like what I see, but I really believe he needs at least one full season playing in the AHL (against men) before the Sabres consider adding him to their roster.
I guess we'll find out in September.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He could have a Jarvis / Mercer impact. Be the puck hound while chipping in offensively, then see his game explode after New Year's

His burst and how he scores is pro style. He's not doing things that they need to iron out like say Cristall. He's inside driven and goes to hard areas. My biggest concern is how will he hold up under NHL contact.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It seems like you've been watching a lot of him.
Does he need a full season in Rochester in 2024-25?
Or can he make, and stay with, the big club out of training camp?
The ultimate 'ask me in September/October'

He has a gear of speed few NHL guys have. Can pass, shoot at a NHL level, and willingness to go to the net.

2 issues:

1) Size/durability; he needs to get bigger, but so does every player Adams has drafted (includes Quinnterka)

2)The Sabres are no longer in a great spot to just take on semi-ready rookies like two years ago. They need to add vets now, and assuming they do what's necessary, it'll likely block Savoie this year.

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
It's not a bad thing to develop your prospects in the minors. That way you don't need a development head coach in the NHL and you can concentrate on WINNING.

Reactions: Jacob582

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad