Can Jack Hughes become the second best player behind Connor McDavid?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Jack Hughes has been getting better and better each season - and once again looks to have taken another step up!

is it possible he can grow to be the second best player in hockey?

and how many points would that be? 120+? or just taking his team far in the playoffs?

curious what others think!

(PS, its just crazy to think that the Hughes brothers can all be (maybe with Luke) so great!!)

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Hughes is probably just gonna keep getting better so I see it as possible.

People tend to forget that MacKinnon (who I have ahead of Hughes today), during his 21 y/o season, scored 53 points in 82 games. Jack Hughes had 99 in 78. MacKinnon finally broke through when he was in the same season as Hughes is now. In other words, still plenty of room for Hughes to grow his game.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
he could but he probably wont. there is mackinnon, drai, matthews and maybe a few others in his way. it also depends on how good bedard becomes.

Reactions: TBF1972

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Hughes finished 10th in PPG last season at 21 years old.

Patrick Kane at the same age finished 9th in points, but never finished top 10 in PPG until he was 24. He would go on to eventually sweep the awards at 27 years old.

I'm not saying Hughes will have a career reminiscient of Patrick Kane or that he'll be the 2nd best player behind McDavid. But it's not out of the realm of possibility, however unlikely.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
11 points in 12 playoff games last season, Draisaitl had 18 in 12 games.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. Ask again in the offseason

It was also Jack's first time in the playoffs versus Draisaitl's 5th playoff appearance, with the Devils facing arguably the best goalie in the league in Shesterkin round 1 and two of the top 4 defensive teams in the league between the Rangers and Hurricanes. He still finished with 2 more goals and 4 more points than any other player on NJ. I'd cut him some slack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad