Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Preds - 4-3 (OT) (Boeser x3, Lindholm) | I JUST HAD A BABY

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I don't really know what you're expecting?

No...he's not the guy to get Petey going. I said as much. Get him and Hoglander off that line. They're both just dragging him down and getting dragged down with him.

But what the heck do you even mean, "same excuses his whole career"? His whole career he's been...exactly this. Maybe a little faster before he blew up his knee and at the moment he's having one of those "hands misfunction" phases that literally every middle six player in the world goes through. But that's what he is. He's a defensively responsible, PK asset, Middle-6 complementary forward who skates fast, and doesn't have Top-6 scoring hands.

It's not an "excuse". It's literally just...exactly what he is and was expected to be as a player.

What's "yikes" is just dismissing all of the effort put into playing a solid, reliable game every night. Taking care of his own end, killing penalties well, getting pucks out, retrieving pucks, creating rush chances, etc. Just dumping on him because he doesn't score like an elite sniper.

He's 2pts behind Elias Pettersson, the superstar core of our team, who also gets to play top Powerplay minutes endlessly. :dunno:
Yeah but "defensively responsible, PK asset who skates fast and doesn't have Top-6 scoring hands" is kind of the literal definition of like 99% of bottom 6 forwards. Mikheyev is a glorified 4th line caliber player who doesn't have the finishing touch or offensive IQ to warrant playing on the 2nd line.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
How many players in history have made guys look so ****ing silly, so consistently with their edges?

Even when he has a less than stellar game, he has moments like this that just make you realize we're watching the best Canuck of all time.
It's not just the skating though, it's how he gives opponents the puck and then takes it away, as shown in the clip. The player gets distracted and then left behind. When stick handling, the puck is more off his stick than on as well, so it's extremely difficult to knock the puck away. It's always just out of reach and stick checking in those instances doesn't effect the puck.

Obviously this isn't unique to Hughes, but the combination of all these skills makes him difficult to shut down.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
My recap of the game:

The skate.

The post.

The hold.

The beast.

The Lindy.

Unknown.jpeg

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
Watching Game 4 replay - some of the details of the game seem clearer when im not pumped on adrenaline. Theres a sequence where the Canucks are on the PP, they turn the puck over at the blue line and it looks like Petey stands still, - Nashville player is off to the races on a potential 2 on 1.

Theres got to be something wrong with EP40's lower body, probably groin. Even when he gets going it looks like he is going half the speed. He couldnt even keep up with the second Nashville player on that sequence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad