Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Some Like it Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here’s my spreadsheet for upcoming UFAs, each team’s cap situation, and a trade tracker. I update the spreadsheet daily. I use CapFriendly to create this list and AFP Analytics for the contract projections.

Edit: Spreadsheet has been updated with AFP's latest projections and I added a new section for RFAs.

Top-6 Forwards
Sam ReinhartRW288y/10.25m
Jake GuentzelW296y/7.94m
Steven StamkosLW/C343y/6.30m
Jonathan MarchessaultW333y/6.25m
Joe PavelskiRW391y/3.94m
Matt DucheneRW/C333y/6.46m
Sean MonahanFW293y/2.87m
Tyler ToffoliW325y/6.53m
Jonathan DrouinW294y/4.46m
Teuvo TeravainenW295y/6.13m
Vladimir TarasenkoRW323y/5.64m
Adam HenriqueLW/C342y/4.60m
Chandler StephensonC/LW305y/5.77m
Max DomiC/RW293y/4.17m
Patrick KaneRW352y/5.51m
Elias LindholmC/RW297y/8.04m
Anthony ManthaW293y/4.40m
Daniel SprongW273y/3.89m
Jake DeBruskW275y/5.92m
David PerronW362y/2.80m
Tyler BertuzziW295y/6.00m
Anthony DuclairW283y/3.22m
Jason ZuckerW323y/5.46m
Jack RoslovicC/RW273y/3.11m
Max PaciorettyLW35
Alexander BarabanovW303y/3.03m

Top-4 Defecemen
Shayne GostisbehereLD/RD313y/4.38m
Brady SkjeiLD306y/7.39m
Noah HanifinLD277y/7.69m
Brandon MontourRD307y/8.71m
Oliver Ekman-LarssonLD323y/3.67m
Dylan DeMeloRD314y/5.07m
Sean WalkerLD/RD294y/4.87m
Matt RoyRD294y/5.58m
TJ BrodieLD/RD343y/4.91m
Brenden DillonLD332y/3.91m
Alexandre CarrierRD273y/3.57m
Nikita ZadorovLD/RD294y/5.10m
Chris TanevRD343y/4.68m
Brett PesceRD296y/6.72m
Matt GrzelcykLD303y/4.07m
Oliver KylingtonLD/RD27

Bottom-6 Forwards
James van RiemsdykW351y/1.50m
Warren FoegeleW284y/3.58m
Stefan NoesenW312y/3.23m
Danton HeinenW28
Tyler JohnsonFW33
Alexander WennbergC294y/4.21m
Jordan MartinookW312y/2.79m
Dakota JoshuaLW283y/3.00m
Michael AmadioW28
Teddy BluegerC/LW292y/2.56m
Sam LaffertyFW292y/1.72m
Kiefer SherwoodW29
Mike HoffmanLW341y/1.86m
Tomas TatarW331y/2.21m
Kyle OkposoRW361y/1.96m
Kasperi KapanenRW27
Andrew CoglianoLW37
Jakob SilfverbergW332y/2.78m
Cal ClutterbuckRW36
Corey PerryRW39
Patrick MaroonW36
Yakov TreninLW/C273y/3.33m
Dominik KubalikW282y/1.34m
Anthony BeauvillierW27
Sam CarrickC/RW32
Tanner PearsonLW31
Zemgus GirgensonsLW/C302y/1.74m
Colin BlackwellC/RW31
Brandon DuhaimeW27
Nick CousinsLW/C30
Connor BrownW30
Joel KivirantaW28
William CarrierLW293y/2.68m
Tyler MotteW293y/2.55m
Samuel BlaisW281y/0.94m
Tyson JostC26

Bottom-Pairing Defencemen
Erik GustafssonLD323y/4.99m
Tyler MyersRD342y/2.67m
Justin SchultzRD332y/3.81m
Kevin ShattenkirkRD351y/1.37m
Jalen ChatfieldRD283y/2.77m
Mike ReillyLD301y/1.24m
Dmitry KulikovLD/RD33
Alec MartinezLD361y/1.7m
Tyson BarrieRD322y/3.72m
Jani HakanpaaRD322y/2.38m
Vincent DesharnaisRD282y/1.41m
Ian ColeLD/RD352y/3.09m
Matt DumbaRD293y/3.73m
Colin MillerRD31
Mark GiordanoLD401y/3.11m
Marco ScandellaLD34
Calvin De HaanLD/RD33
Josh BrownRD30
Ilya LyubushkinRD301y/1.31m
Joel EdmundsonLD/RD31
Troy StecherRD30
Derek ForbortLD32
Erik JohnsonRD361y/1.13m

Forward Depth
Christian FischerW27
Craig SmithRW34
Victor OlofssonW28
Trevor LewisRW/C37
Justin BaileyRW29
Kevin StenlundC/RW27
Jeff CarterRW/C39
Ryan CarpenterRW/C33
Nicolas Aube-KubelRW282y/1.53m
AJ GreerW27
Liam O'BrienW29
Chris TierneyC30
Mattias JanmarkW31
Sam GagnerRW/C34
Brendan SmithLD/RD35
Eric RobinsonLW29
Zach PariseLW39
Kevin LabancW282y/1.94m
Fredrik OlofssonC/LW28
Alex Barre-BouletW27
Matt MartinW35
Radim ZohornaW28
Pierre-Edouard BellemareC/LW39
Tyler PitlickRW32
Austin WatsonW32
Tomas NosekLW/C31
Jansen HarkinsLW27
Rourke ChartierC28
Steven LorentzFW28

Defensive Depth
Jack JohnsonLD37
Vincent DesharnaisRD282y/1.41m
Anthony DeangeloRD282y/1.80m
Jarred TinordiLD32
Sebastian AhoLD28
Dakota MermisLD/RD30
Jacob MacDonaldLD/RD31
Dennis GilbertLD27
Nikita ZaitsevRD32
Nick DeSimoneRD29
Travis DermottLD/RD27
Caleb JonesLD/RD27
Chad RuhwedelRD34
William LagesonLD/RD28

Goaltenders
Cam TalbotG361y/1.89m
Ilya SamsonovG272y/3.26m
Alex NedeljkovicG282y/2.00m
Kaapo KahkonenG272y/2.93m
Scott WedgewoodG312y/1.57m
Casey DeSmithG321y/2.02m
Anthony StolarzG302y/1.91m
James ReimarG36
Antti RaantaG351y/1.31m
David RittichG31
Kevin LankinenG291y/1.58m
Laurent BrossoitG312y/1.95m
Calvin PickardG32
Martin JonesG34

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Summarizing a bit...

- Dhaliwal thinks Lindholm/Joshua are 1-2 on the priority list. Thinks the Canucks really liked Lindholm at C and Pettersson on the W, compared it to when Horvat was here. Is it $7M a year? He's not sure. Joshua, will he get over $3? If he hits July 1st, does he get closer to $4?
- Zadorov - Dhaliwal thinks he's priced himself out of Vancouver, Milstein is in a good spot. Milstein wants term, wants over $5M - some say $6M.
- Myers - wants to come back. Has his off-season home in Kelowna. Can Canucks get him in $3M range? Or does he get $4M on open market? Doesn't think Canucks can afford to lose both Myers and Zadorov.
- Thinks Canucks will try to bring back Blueger.
- Hearing internally Canucks think Tanev will be too expensive July 1. Thinks Tanev's stock is on the rise. Phenomenal playoff, and outpricing himself.
- Hronek - if he keeps asking $8M, Canucks need to move on in his opinion. Ask is not going down. Strong because he has arbitration rights, and they'd do well.
- Silovs - "he's gonna get a raise". Expects him to be the backup next year. Cue big dust up between Don and Dhali about whether or not to move Demko (Don suggested it, Dhali hated it)
- Demko in Game 7 - thinks it was close, but he hadn't been in full practice yet. There's some out there who think he could have played.

Another thing is that Dhaliwal couldn't find anyone in hockey that thinks Hronek is worth 8m.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Any long term signing is risky, but what on earth makes you think more than 3 years is "very risky" for this guy? he's almost 6 months younger than Elia Lindholm and people are tripping over themselves to sign him for 7 or 8 years at a materially higher cap hit. I threw out the Willie Mitchell comp earlier (partly to illustrate % of cap), but Zadorov is a lot bigger, tougher, more durable and has way better offensive skills. Mitchell, despite the concussion history, won a cup with LA at 35.

Zadorov is an old school Alpha predator. He hits like a train, is solid defensively and chips in at a top 4 clip at ES. I think he'll get close $5mm/5+ years and he's worth that IMO as he's capable of anchoring a 2nd pairing and eating a big chunk of PK minutes. The idea that he's going to suddenly turn into a pumpkin in three years is based in nothing resembling reality IMO.

the main thing is i wouldn't give him more than $20m - so whether that's 5m x 4yrs or 4m x 5yrs, either is palatable given the playoffs he just had. if he's getting into the 6s, no way in hell should that go beyond two or three years. if they really think he's the next chara, that has to be a short term bet - a 6.25x2 or 6x3 for example. a 6x6 could be absolutely crippling.

the difference with him and lindholm is the track record of their entire careers.

i agree with others that would have lindholm as priority #1, but i feel similar about keeping him as i did bo horvat. yes, good player, luxury to have at the 2C spot. bolsters the top-6 in the way that a true contending team is constructed. but just as i felt with horvat - lindholm should be closer to rnh in cost than to jt miller, and my worry is that he's asking for miller's contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Szechwan

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
the number of Canucks fans who are precious about this group is nauseating. "no not so-and-so! He's the heart and soul!"

Fun group but it wasn't good enough. and 'not good enough' gets more expensive to keep in-tact. you have to revamp.

There's some really big name UFAs with connection to the Canucks - I don't want to miss out to overpay Zadarov and Joshua, or because we got too precious to trade Garland's 5 mill.

Like, imagine a world... Garland for picks, flip those picks to move Mikyeyev, that's almost $10million in cap space to bring in a Guentzal or Reinhart in UFA. And they could still re-sign Lindholm on top of that with the space they have now, if he enjoyed his time here.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I think most of his ideas are purely to elicit a reaction from Dhaliwal and spark controversy/conversation.

Either that or yes, he's an absolute idiot. :laugh:

Don's always had a thing for t2 goalies who go on folk hero runs. Kirk McLean > Luongo in his eyes, so not surprised he wants Silovs over Demko :laugh:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think most of his ideas are purely to elicit a reaction from Dhaliwal and spark controversy/conversation.

Either that or yes, he's an absolute idiot. :laugh:
Yeah, it's to get a reaction. He did the same thing with Mojonavich. It's shtick and it's boring.

Halford and Brough talked about this some time ago, about how in one of their American gigs they were told they needed to have more conflict, because that's what drives listeners. It drives this listener away.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Critical areas to improve considering who is not signed

1 - Top6 player for Pettersson.

Lindholm is the ideal player get it done. Can bumper the PP PK and allow Pettersson to play the wing and flexibilty for the top3 lines.....(Reinhart Guentzel Debrusk Duchene Toffoli)

2 - Top pairing RD

Hronek as disappointing as this 2nd half has been he's still a young guy who is learning and was obviously banged up. Him and Hughes tilt the ice and that's huge. Back up plan would also be dicey. (Roy is the only guy i could see us not having a huge step down in free agency and we would be selling low on Hronek

3 - Top 4 RD.................Myers......(Tanev Pesce Roy)

Myers at 2 x 3.5 vs Tanev at 2 x 5-5.5 if so has to be considered but we'll see how this breaks. I would think Myers takes a hometown discount and they make it work. Would like an upgrade but having some cost certainty and not venturing desperately into UFA has big value

4 - Top4/5 D.................Zadorov....(Dillon Edmundson Cole)

Hoping they can make it work with term but not holding my breath here. Alternatives are not that bad considering we can upgrade up front if we save money and still have Hughes Soucy barring any moves.

5 - Top9W with size.......Joshua ...(Bertuzzi Debrusk Mantha)

Cap dollars will dictate this as well as the organizations confidence in Podkolzin Bains Raty if they have to run it back cheap to fix the more important holes. I would think all the above are worse contracts than Joshua. pro scouting can hopefully unearth another gem if it gets to that point

Silovs is and should be the back up. A few good depth signings to replace whoever wants raises and who we can afford to try and upgrade in free agency. Gonna be an interesting off season sure glad it's not as long as prior years

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
yes don taylor, the lesson about being forced to go to your third string goalie of course is to further reduce your goalie depth to pinch pennies. :facepalm:

Silovs has never played a starters work load before.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Friedman:
- Thinks they're going to take runs at guys "you don't expect they'll be able to keep".
- Thinks they'll talk to Lindholm, figure out the ballpark
- Thinks they know exactly what Zadorov is looking for
- They're going to try to make choices. I don't know if Lindholm is possible, it might not be, but he's probably the #1 guy they try to re-sign
- Rutherford and Allvin have taught us to expect the unexpected.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Summarizing a bit...

- Dhaliwal thinks Lindholm/Joshua are 1-2 on the priority list. Thinks the Canucks really liked Lindholm at C and Pettersson on the W, compared it to when Horvat was here. Is it $7M a year? He's not sure. Joshua, will he get over $3? If he hits July 1st, does he get closer to $4?
- Zadorov - Dhaliwal thinks he's priced himself out of Vancouver, Milstein is in a good spot. Milstein wants term, wants over $5M - some say $6M.
- Myers - wants to come back. Has his off-season home in Kelowna. Can Canucks get him in $3M range? Or does he get $4M on open market? Doesn't think Canucks can afford to lose both Myers and Zadorov.
- Thinks Canucks will try to bring back Blueger.
- Hearing internally Canucks think Tanev will be too expensive July 1. Thinks Tanev's stock is on the rise. Phenomenal playoff, and outpricing himself.
- Hronek - if he keeps asking $8M, Canucks need to move on in his opinion. Ask is not going down. Strong because he has arbitration rights, and they'd do well.
- Silovs - "he's gonna get a raise". Expects him to be the backup next year. Cue big dust up between Don and Dhali about whether or not to move Demko (Don suggested it, Dhali hated it)
- Demko in Game 7 - thinks it was close, but he hadn't been in full practice yet. There's some out there who think he could have played.

Maybe it's just me...but it makes no sense to have a franchise C (who has shown he could be a franchise C), pay him like one, and then move him to the wing...and then sign a guy who has never played to that level to be his C instead.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Maybe it's just me...but it makes no sense to have a franchise C (who has shown he could be a franchise C), pay him like one, and then move him to the wing...and then sign a guy who has never played to that level to be his C instead.
yeah that makes no sense... we have to get Petey and winger and then we will have 3 pairs.
Miller - Boeser
Petey - Stamkos/Guentzel
Lindholm - Garland.

Having 3 centers mean we can probably do some load management, especially for Miller so he stays fresh for the playoffs.

Reactions: supercanuck

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Critical areas to improve considering who is not signed

1 - Top6 player for Pettersson.

Lindholm is the ideal player get it done. Can bumper the PP PK and allow Pettersson to play the wing and flexibilty for the top3 lines.....(Reinhart Guentzel Debrusk Duchene Toffoli)

2 - Top pairing RD

Hronek as disappointing as this 2nd half has been he's still a young guy who is learning and was obviously banged up. Him and Hughes tilt the ice and that's huge. Back up plan would also be dicey. (Roy is the only guy i could see us not having a huge step down in free agency and we would be selling low on Hronek

3 - Top 4 RD.................Myers......(Tanev Pesce Roy)

Myers at 2 x 3.5 vs Tanev at 2 x 5-5.5 if so has to be considered but we'll see how this breaks. I would think Myers takes a hometown discount and they make it work. Would like an upgrade but having some cost certainty and not venturing desperately into UFA has big value

4 - Top4/5 D.................Zadorov....(Dillon Edmundson Cole)

Hoping they can make it work with term but not holding my breath here. Alternatives are not that bad considering we can upgrade up front if we save money and still have Hughes Soucy barring any moves.

5 - Top9W with size.......Joshua ...(Bertuzzi Debrusk Mantha)

Cap dollars will dictate this as well as the organizations confidence in Podkolzin Bains Raty if they have to run it back cheap to fix the more important holes. I would think all the above are worse contracts than Joshua. pro scouting can hopefully unearth another gem if it gets to that point

Silovs is and should be the back up. A few good depth signings to replace whoever wants raises and who we can afford to try and upgrade in free agency. Gonna be an interesting off season sure glad it's not as long as prior years

I wouldn't want to take on Tanev or Toffoli. I know he's shown incredible durability but eventually he's gonna slow down, right?

And Toffoli looked really slow in the playoffs, I think age has caught up to him. He could be a useful depth guy but I doubt he'll be cheap.

Reactions: Nopefully

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
yeah that makes no sense... we have to get Petey and winger and then we will have 3 pairs.
Miller - Boeser
Petey - Stamkos/Guentzel
Lindholm - Garland.

Having 3 centers mean we can probably do some load management, especially for Miller so he stays fresh for the playoffs.
This would be amazing but no way we can fit that with the cap unless we don't sign Zadorov and Hronek.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I would love to recoup some picks. Would trade Garland and Hronek. This may be our only chance to get a first for Garland

Reactions: Flik

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
My problem with signing Lindholm and shifting Petey to wing is... why tf did we just pay 11.6 for a winger? That almost never works out favourably.

why'd they get rid of horvat if they're just gonna give almost horvat money to lindholm anyways? horvat was a real weapon on the power play (something they sorely need) and if they're going to walk away from hronek they got essentially nothing in return for horvat

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
the main thing is i wouldn't give him more than $20m - so whether that's 5m x 4yrs or 4m x 5yrs, either is palatable given the playoffs he just had. if he's getting into the 6s, no way in hell should that go beyond two or three years. if they really think he's the next chara, that has to be a short term bet - a 6.25x2 or 6x3 for example. a 6x6 could be absolutely crippling.

the difference with him and lindholm is the track record of their entire careers.

i agree with others that would have lindholm as priority #1, but i feel similar about keeping him as i did bo horvat. yes, good player, luxury to have at the 2C spot. bolsters the top-6 in a way that a true contending team is constructed. but just as i felt with horvat - lindholm should be closer to rnh in cost than to jt miller, and my worry is that he's asking for miller's contract.
That makes absolutely no sense to me. The total value of the contract should be completely irrelevant to fans; AAV/cap hit are all that matter. picking $20MM as the max value of the deal just seems oddly arbitrary. His contract is almost certainly going to be 5+ years and a smart GM with an amenable owner will front load the deal so he's movable in the last two years if the team is uncompetitive and looking to sell assets. His cap hit is likely going to be somewhere between 5.5% and 6.5% depending on term and structure. The cost is the cost, and i think the value you get is easily worth paying the freight on this player.

My opinion on Lindholm hasn't changed much, even with his improved play in the post season, mostly for the reason you cite. $$. If he's looking for a deal that carries a $7MM+ cap hit over max term....thanks for the memories. I still believe that Pettersson is a C, and i would rather see them add a guy on the wing that is creative and can play with pace. Teravainen is a guy that could fit well and likely won't cost an arm and a leg. Arvidson is a candidate as well.

Reactions: Tinhorn1

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think this core group has what it takes I also think Zadorov should be part of that core group. That OEL buy out is what will probably hurt us the most unless we play that Vegas ltir game.

Another thing I’m sure on bringing back is the goal song :naughty: it’s our Chelsea Dagger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad