CFL 2024

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He’s back…

The fluidity in the CFL of retired to unretired is pretty comical.

He has the right to appeal so let's see when the full facts come out. If it's true nothing had any potential impact on a game he was playing, I'd forgive this way before what Kelly did, particularly where Kelly has history pre-CFL. I don't recall any real controversy with Lemon before other than chirping and such.

Reactions: bellagiobob

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I hope there is an announcement soon.

It would be nice to get this done before the season starts.

Speaking of seasons, I have looked at the roster and its another year of huge player turnover. Even a diehard like myself has a hard time finding a lot of names that I recognize, especially on defense.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The fluidity in the CFL of retired to unretired is pretty comical.

He has the right to appeal so let's see when the full facts come out. If it's true nothing had any potential impact on a game he was playing, I'd forgive this way before what Kelly did, particularly where Kelly has history pre-CFL. I don't recall any real controversy with Lemon before other than chirping and such.
It's the CFL. The most he probably could have made is around $10.49. Which is about 2 weeks salary I guess.

Speaking of seasons, I have looked at the roster and its another year of huge player turnover. Even a diehard like myself has a hard time finding a lot of names that I recognize, especially on defense.
I hear you. And because of that, it's hard to garner any kind of interest when you don't know what the hell you have from year to year.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023

With roster turnover that's how it is these days. Not a good situation for building a fanbase.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
With roster turnover that's how it is these days. Not a good situation for building a fanbase.
True but some teams --especially the ones that are successful seem to avoid the worst of the turnover blues. Winnipeg is probably the best example.

Sooner or later (preferably sooner) Jones is going to have to decide which 24 starters would be a good continuity project. He's always cutting guys and looking for the "Jones type" but what exactly is that? Guys are signed one week and released the next. The grass is always greener but sometimes you wonder if he is smoking it.

The revolving door has to slow down if the EE are to win back a substantial fan base.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
True but some teams --especially the ones that are successful seem to avoid the worst of the turnover blues. Winnipeg is probably the best example.

Sooner or later (preferably sooner) Jones is going to have to decide which 24 starters would be a good continuity project. He's always cutting guys and looking for the "Jones type" but what exactly is that? Guys are signed one week and released the next. The grass is always greener but sometimes you wonder if he is smoking it.

The revolving door has to slow down if the EE are to win back a substantial fan base.
I feel like I have to hold my nose to cheeer for this sad excuse of what used to be a great Eskimo franchise but I think you are spot on.

Back in the day one of the things that used to bring fans back was that they got to know the players and they could identify the player with the team. It wasnt just isolated to a few players either.
As a kid in the 70's I could recall most of the defenisve and offensive players and that strengthened the emotional bond with the team. It seemed like the players wanted to be an Eskimo and they were around for most (if not all) of their football career. Even if they went to the NFL (like Warren Moon) they were still with the team for around 5 years.
They really cared about the team which translated to the fans.

Now a days there doesnt seem to be any of that.
Very little organizational pride and I cant even think of a recent player that really cared about being an EE player.
Maybe Jason Maas is the last one. Management doesnt seem to care either so when that seems to be the prevailing attitude its hard for a fan to care.
I cant even name 1 player that has been with the current team for 5 years.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Typically, that includes charters and hotels. A portion of the costs with charters are advanced, and the balance paid evenly over the season.
If the charters are advanced, that would be a prepaid expense, not an accounts payable. It’s a really big number, not sure what it is.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
I feel like I have to hold my nose to cheeer for this sad excuse of what used to be a great Eskimo franchise but I think you are spot on.

Back in the day one of the things that used to bring fans back was that they got to know the players and they could identify the player with the team. It wasnt just isolated to a few players either.
As a kid in the 70's I could recall most of the defenisve and offensive players and that strengthened the emotional bond with the team. It seemed like the players wanted to be an Eskimo and they were around for most (if not all) of their football career. Even if they went to the NFL (like Warren Moon) they were still with the team for around 5 years.
They really cared about the team which translated to the fans.

Now a days there doesnt seem to be any of that.
Very little organizational pride and I cant even think of a recent player that really cared about being an EE player.
Maybe Jason Maas is the last one. Management doesnt seem to care either so when that seems to be the prevailing attitude its hard for a fan to care.
I cant even name 1 player that has been with the current team for 5 years.
Free agency wasn't really a thing back in the day. The carousel of players going for that extra $10,000 somewhere else hurts the league IMO.

Looking at that Annual report Justin Trudeau's attack on the CFL in 2020 seriously eroded the Eskimos stabilization fund.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Free agency wasn't really a thing back in the day. The carousel of players going for that extra $10,000 somewhere else hurts the league IMO.

Looking at that Annual report Justin Trudeau's attack on the CFL in 2020 seriously eroded the Eskimos stabilization fund.
Fair point about Free Agency.

I dont recall Trudeaus report though. I tend not to listen to that asshat.
Every time he opens his mouth he lies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Looking at the EE defense, Morgan is back at linebacker (perhaps the closest thing that the Esks have to an MVP) and Lewis, Bratton and Gray are returning at the DB spots. I thought that the latter three all showed some promise in 2023. Still a long way to go though.

At age 27, Morgan is the grey beard at LB (Appolon was cut) and is one of the older guys on the entire defense.

The defensive line is loaded with young Canadian talent (Pelle, Plamondon and Noah---which is good) but oh my--precious little experience on the pass rush.

Perhaps some other posters can analyze the defense and offer their own opinions and next week we can do the offense and special teams.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad