Post-Game Talk: Cli(e)nched

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe Connor will be proven right about those guys. What a goal by Ceci last night lol.

Well 2nd leg if you are thinking in halfs lol
Ceci has a good shot and he's looked better on a different pair but he's not good. We need to move on from him and theres been more than enough track to establish that.

Reactions: McDoused

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Simpson is awful unless you want to hear him bleating about Vancouver all day. Wonder if he likes Dallas as well. Simpson has Oilers issues. Can't remember what the tension was due to but there was some past conflicts.
I think it was about how he was fired when he was an assistant coach....apparently it wasn't handled well. that was my understanding anyway, but I could be wrong.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Holy f*** are some of you guys ever happy?

Our team just made the WCF and we have posts in here whining about Skinner and the fact that the panel focused on the Canucks.

Who gives a f***? We WON. Enjoy that for what it is.

Not to mention, given the fact this is the last time they’ll be talking about Vancouver, it kind of makes sense to focus on them? They’ll have all of the third round to talk about the Oilers. We’re the last team left in Canada so they’ll have to anyways
Who's not happy? Maybe I'm not seeing all the posts.

Ecstatic that we are the last Canadian team standing and that Canada is now forced to adopt us as Canada's real team;)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ceci has a good shot and he's looked better on a different pair but he's not good. We need to move on from him and theres been more than enough track to establish that.
he’s got lots of power, the accuracy he’s showing lately is new though lol. But yeh Ceci ultimately is what he is, you are preaching to the choir here. But playoffs have a funny way of bringing out levels in guys they’ve never had before, let’s hope
Ceci while a limited player, can continue to elevate for this run.

Then we need a lot of other guys to elevate too. The Stars are no joke and we need to be peaking in all areas of the roster.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
he’s got lots of power, the accuracy he’s showing lately is new though lol. But yeh Ceci ultimately is what he is, you are preaching to the choir here. But playoffs have a funny way of bringing out levels in guys they’ve never had before, let’s hope
Ceci while a limited player, can continue to elevate for this run.

Then we need a lot of other guys to elevate too. The Stars are no joke and we need to be peaking in all areas of the roster.
kudos to you btw for never losing the faith. You called both game 6 and 7 W's. Not sure if you've had the credit for that you earned.

Myself I thought we win game 6 and that game 7 was basically a crapshoot. I just didn't like the thought of it even going 7. I was thankful it not going to OT.

Still I wish the team would stop having games like game 5. Need to be better in those big moments in series. It made our path a lot harder.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Seems to have gone unnoticed. But Tocchet was given so much “credit” for calling out his guys and then getting a better performance out of his guys in Game 5.

Well Coffey also called out our guys on ESPN before Game 6. Saying lots of the guys besides Connor and Leon need to start stepping up. No doubt he said the same to the room. And I think in Games 6/7 we saw guys take up his challenge.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Good on Knob to realize as well the kid was a bit rattled and shaken after that and give him some time off. Nobody feels worse than McLeod there and you could see it on the bench how much he was hurting for that.
Reminds me of Matt Greene in 2006 when he was almost in tears and Huddy just talking with him and patting him on the back, etc.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Yep. He's involved in so many good zone outs it seems people don't pay attention to it because with his speed and skating he makes it look easy. Next to Nuge he's probably the best defensive forward we have and he breaks up a lot of plays as well or gets sticks on pucks. It was uncharacteristic and was the mechanical error of fanning on pass. Frustrating that it is that it occurs in that moment mistakes do occur.

Hate to say it but with the constant stress, all the infections on the team and the hardship of playing every other night (thanks NHL for this ridiculous scheduling. and secondary infections can even occur. Things like Bronchitis. People have been tossing around Strep. Hopefully it isn't that and its just a rumor.
Too bad they can't get a few more days rest. I bet he's got something

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
kudos to you btw for never losing the faith. You called both game 6 and 7 W's. Not sure if you've had the credit for that you earned.

Myself I thought we win game 6 and that game 7 was basically a crapshoot. I just didn't like the thought of it even going 7. I was thankful it not going to OT.

Still I wish the team would stop having games like game 5. Need to be better in those big moments in series. It made our path a lot harder.
Thanks you are the first to give me props lol. Appreciate it. Yeh sometimes my belief pays off. This team is legit good, well coached, resilient, tight knit, and McDrai are McDrai. Gotta have some faith in that. I also thought from a hockey karma/class point of view that there’s no way the gods are letting the classless van fans win this series. I’m all for chirping, but it crosses a line when you have to lie to make your point or you attack the quality of a City or its people. Van fans and their cockiness needed to be put in its place.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
In honor of last night I present- tin foil on a rainy vancouver day
20240521_105504.jpg

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It has happened with other teams but I don't remember a core group that has done this not once, not twice, but like 5 times over the years in the playoffs. They did shut it down after it was 3-2 (credit to Knob for the timely timeout settling the group down) but these have to be lessons learned eventually.

I think part of this is shaky goaltending not making the clutch saves but puck management like McLeod whiffing in the slot and Bouchard with a really poor icing happens too often with this group when protecting leads. They've played very well otherwise but they tend to pucker up at times once the ball gets rolling the other way. They need a little more steadiness when the tide turns late in games, and a big save once in a while to bail them out would be nice as well. Dallas will pounce on those mistakes more than L.A. and Vancouver, need to be smarter and more focused next round
Just this year Dallas had a 3-0 lead and lost the game and in another game had a 4-0 lead and allowed three straight and barely hung on and won. And they are considered the best team in the league. It happens. I think we often look at things with our Oiler goggles on and think it only happens to us. But I get your point, and it does take time to learn how to play with the lead and under pressure, a much longer period than fans or players would like, and I think in the last 120 minutes of game action, the boys played pretty much a perfect 110 minutes of that 120, in a do or die situation. Not perfect, but that's hockey, the other team often has a say in the matter. I think we are making progress.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The infamous blown 3 goal lead against Anaheim, the blown 3 goal lead against Winnipeg, the blown 3 goal lead in Game 1 against Vancouver, the blown, late, 2-0 lead in Game 4 and now Game 7.

It has always been an epidemic with this group moreso than any other team in the league it seems. I don't even think it's personnel necessarily as they have guys like Drai and Ekholm that can shut down things, I think it's mental and a mental hurdle that they HAVE TO overcome.

While I don't disagree, there have been LOTS of blown leads these playoffs with every team in general vs years past (or at least it feels like it). Part of it this round was the PDO Kings and their ridiculous comebacks all season. We'll see how that goes this next round, hoping to see them move past that.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Just this year Dallas had a 3-0 lead and lost the game and in another game had a 4-0 lead and allowed three straight and barely hung on and won. And they are considered the best team in the league. It happens. I think we often look at things with our Oiler goggles on and think it only happens to us. But I get your point, and it does take time to learn how to play with the lead and under pressure, a much longer period than fans or players would like, and I think in the last 120 minutes of game action, the boys played pretty much a perfect 110 minutes of that 120, in a do or die situation. Not perfect, but that's hockey, the other team often has a say in the matter. I think we are making progress.

Reading comments here and on the mains you would swear that the Stars just slept walked through the first two rounds and they are a force that can't be stopped. You correctly recognized that it just isn't the case.

The Stars' issues get explained away or conveniently ignored, which is of course never the case for the Oilers.

Could we get swept? Absolutely if the goaltending is a problem. Short of that though, it is insane to suggest that this series is massively lopsided on paper in any direction.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks you are the first to give me props lol. Appreciate it. Yeh sometimes my belief pays off. This team is legit good, well coached, resilient, tight knit, and McDrai are McDrai. Gotta have some faith in that. I also thought from a hockey karma/class point of view that there’s no way the gods are letting the classless van fans win this series. I’m all for chirping, but it crosses a line when you have to lie to make your point or you attack the quality of a City or its people. Van fans and their cockiness needed to be put in its place.
Most of the stuff is just fans jeering each other. But theres other stuff too. That I can't get into here.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't like that McLeod is making a breakout pass there to begin with. I'm not sure what their system suggests they should do, but McLeod has the footspeed to exit the zone himself with that puck and skate it safety.

Kane had a handful of similar turnovers in that series because he often overpersues.

Regardless of the Xs and Os, I've never been a fan of the forward breakout pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad