GDT: COL @ WPG: Checkmate (COL Leads 3-1): 9:30p ET

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs looked they did in their Cup season after game 1, and the Jets despite a great regular season, looked like everyone they beat.

You need to skate with this Avs team in order to have a chance to beat them, and then you need to finish your chances, be good defensively, and get great goaltending.

Jets couldn't skate with the Avs, so they didn't give themselves a chance to win. Then they didn't finish their chances, didn't get good defense, and Hellificarehowtospellhisname looked average.

Hence the blowout wins after the first game. Good to get a rest again. So much respect for Cale, who has played through pain all year, and did again after that cheap hit by Vilardi.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Definitely could have been a sweep. The Jets were a typical pretender that gave near a max effort in the regular season and had no other gear for the playoffs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Garry Galley on the CBC broadcast said that Mikko shouldn't have poked the bear aka Lowry. I feel it was the opposite, you don't piss off Mikko because then he wakes up and realizes he's one of the best players in the league.

Lowry is so overrated. He got way too much credit for Nate and Mikko not looking like themselves. Just a lazy narrative that if the stars aren't dominating in the playoffs, then it must be because someone is shutting them down.

Last game he only played one shift against him almost the entire first two periods, and Nate and Mikko looked the same, because it wasn't Lowry shutting them down.

Tonight he plays against Nate and Mikko all night, starts the game going face first into the corner all by himself, and misses the puck, which gives up a 3 on 2 for Nate and Mikko. Second shift, he takes himself way out of position to make a late hit on Cale that he easily spins off, and then is the last man back in the D zone to watch Nate, Mikko, and Toews setup Nuke for a quick tying goal after they just took the lead.

Lowry with last change, in his biggest game of the year, ends the night watching three 5v5 goals from Nate's line. Ends the series -3 while Nate ends +5. Guy Carboneau'esque.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just have a feeling he was saving himself for the playoffs. Which makes me respect him even more, being a Norris runner-up doing that.

He's been banged up all year too though. Bunch of times we saw him get up slow. Bunch of times we saw him wince after a hit or play. Even at the ASG.

They managed his 5v5 minutes all year too. Played way less than usual.

He was in a lot of pain on the bench after that cheap Vilardi hit, that somehow the refs watched the replay of him lowering his shoulder and steamrolling Cale without the puck, and overturned the call, but I don't think he even missed a shift afterward.

Just a beast of a competitor.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It was the most dominant non-sweep in the history of the game
The Jets truly were terrible. Couldn´t match the Avs in pretty much anything.

It was a bad matchup though. Winnipeg has a ton of guys who cannot skate + the Dcore doesn´t have much hands either on top of being slow.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Who told me that they wouldn’t goon it up?
That was me. I would not have picked Vilardi as the goon. Only shady play I can remember from the game though. Well maybe the cross check on Colton, but that happens dozens of times every game.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
MacK barking orders prior to the faceoff as if he's actually going to have a chance to win it.
Probably barking orders about where everyone needs to go after he loses it.

Also, this comment is probably four hours too late.

Time for the Captain to return.
You really think this is happening in round two? Or are you talking about Captain Morgan?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Garry Galley on the CBC broadcast said that Mikko shouldn't have poked the bear aka Lowry. I feel it was the opposite, you don't piss off Mikko because then he wakes up and realizes he's one of the best players in the league.
The replay of him snapping his stick in half was probably one of the funniest things I've seen from Mikko, but simultaneously one of the coolest

Reactions: BrickNHL

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

3:25

Jets fans were asking why is he smiling. I think he knows he was never winning this series without Fourgiev messing up.. Jets got outplayed.

I mean they can fire Bowness all they want but it's just going to be dancing around the deckhairs. Hire Sullivan or Cooper, that team is still not going to be a true contender. They just need more. They are Seattle with some lipstick and Hellebuyck. No top players. Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers, are not legit superstars. They are good, but not superstars.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I mean they can fire Bowness all they want but it's just going to be dancing around the deckhairs. Hire Sullivan or Cooper, that team is still not going to be a true contender. They just need more. They are Seattle with some lipstick and Hellebuyck. No top players. Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers, are not legit superstars. They are good, but not superstars.

They are in situation like Wild. No mans land. Not a top contender, not the worst. It's the worst.

I think this season they did better than expected too.

Reactions: Foppa2118

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Pumped about that W still. Jets played their best game of the series IMO. I thought that the MittelJost line looked markedly pedestrian last night, Bowness did a good job getting Shief away from him. Love to see MacK-Rants wake up a bit at the end there. They still have so much more to give. Frail still frail but very elite. George, I'm honestly happy for him to play the rest of the series the way he did after than shitshow of a first game. I, as well as others, ripped on him hard and then he turned things around and got the job done. I think Kovalenko should not see another shift of playoff action. The kid is just out of his element and looks beyond lost out there. That turnover he had at our blue line was bench worthy in it's own right and his loss of coverage on the Toffoli goal is just no bueno. Get him started off with a clean slate next season to truly try and gauge what we have there.

Would love to see Drouin/Landy or both return for the 2nd round. Here's to the Stars and Knights beating each other up for another 3 games!

Last edited:

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Hockey is a funny sport. All credit goes to Georgiev and the team defense for an absolutely incredible and what I thought would be an impossible turn around. "Pull your goalie" chants looking really bad now.

The season was of the brink of destruction after game one. Huge props to Bednar for believing in his goalie when everyone wanted him gone. Who knows what would've happened if Annunen was available but I'm sure glad it worked out the way it did. That game 1 debacle could really be the turning point of our postseason with the way the team rallied behind Georgiev.

Last edited:

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I see 29 and 96 FINALLY woke up in the 3rd.

Bet they are happy to not play Winnipeg anymore.

Wake up for round 2, boys.
Funny I thought this was their worst game of the series. I see what you had been saying earlier in the series they were both just off. Produced tonight tho so that's all that mattered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad