Post-Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche defeat the Winnipeg Jets, 4-1

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What happened to the Jets defenseman in this series? As a group going in to the playoffs they looked as solid as any teams but they were awful. I didn’t see that coming. Helleybuck is going to take the heat for this loss and while he deserves some for his play I think even more of the blame falls on those guys.

They desperately need to clone Morrissey somehow because outside of him, it’s bleak in terms of speed and transition from the blueline. DeMelo, Samberg, Schmidt…all very serviceable regular season stay-at-home guys but as a whole, that defense has no juice outside of 44. Pionk ain’t it.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
1714541025244.jpeg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
GG Jets fans, no hard feelings.

I do think this could be a blessing in disguise for you lot, this series showed that the Jets just aren't there yet even if they had a solid regular season. At this stage though, it will be key to make the necessary moves to take the next step, Cheveldayoff needs to be more aggressive and fix that defensive core along with adding some more weapons offensively (do not sign Toffoli though).

Reactions: xAvsx89

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Avs are a top heavy team, but thats not much of a problem against a team like the Jets, whose ‘high-end talent’ isnt nearly quality enough to battle the Avs top-end to a draw.
This statement couldn’t be more wrong. The top guys were Mitts, Nuke and Lehky.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Colorado is a joke! They could have scored 7 or 8 goals each game if they needed to.
I picked Dallas to win the Cup but if Georgiev plays like he played the last r games, nobody is beating Colorado.

Reactions: TippinOn44s

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This statement couldn’t be more wrong. The top guys were Mitts, Nuke and Lehky.

So top 6 players depending on the lineup? Nichushkin was on the top line, Middlestat was 2C, Lehkonen and Parise bounced around and ended up on Casey’s wings.

This is like Blackhawks fans saying in the 2010s, ‘no it wasnt our top players driving the bus, it was Saad and Kane on the 2nd line’. Top players (forwards) play on the top 6 and PP.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
What happened to the Jets defenseman in this series? As a group going in to the playoffs they looked as solid as any teams but they were awful. I didn’t see that coming. Helleybuck is going to take the heat for this loss and while he deserves some for his play I think even more of the blame falls on those guys.
Simply couldn't handle the speed and skill from the Avs stars IMO. MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Toews, Nuke, Lehkonen, Mitts, that's a tough group to shutdown, and the Jets D just didn't have it in them.

Also, the Jets top 6 is Morrissey, DeMelo, Pionk, Dillon, Samberg and Schmidt. Morrissey is nice, but it's a pretty "meh" group from 2-6.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The Jets are, simply put, frauds. A true regular season team.

Bones has them playing great, structured hockey in the regular season and they give'r most nights. They get a lotta points when teams otherwise DGAF. The thing is come playoff time they just don't have the horses. They're already playing their best and don't have that extra gear.

Guys like Scheifele and Ehlers and Monahan just aren't gamers. You're not gunna win when your 3C is your best forward. On D every single player except Morissey is playing one spot higher on the depth chart than they should be for an alleged contender.

In net, Hellebuyck just ain't a playoff guy. I got raked over the coals for calling it a month ago. Brossoit looked just as good in the regular season, and come playoff time the team couldn't hold on.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Maybe team USA should rethink having Hellebyuck has their starter cause he seems to crumble under pressure. Winnipeg needs to go back the drawing board, if not for Georgiev awful game 1 the Avs would have swept the Jets.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I don’t really know what we could have expected from Helle considering the horrid defence and offensive production he had in front of him.

More a testament to an fast, offensive Avs team overwhelming a slower, underperforming, dump and chase team with a head coach who didn’t make adjustments until Game 5, and decided to insert a young 19 goal scorer from the press box.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
The Jets are, simply put, frauds. A true regular season team.

Bones has them playing great, structured hockey in the regular season and they give'r most nights. They get a lotta points when teams otherwise DGAF. The thing is come playoff time they just don't have the horses. They're already playing their best and don't have that extra gear.

Guys like Scheifele and Ehlers and Monahan just aren't gamers. You're not gunna win when your 3C is your best forward. On D every single player except Morissey is playing one spot higher on the depth chart than they should be for an alleged contender.

In net, Hellebuyck just ain't a playoff guy. I got raked over the coals for calling it a month ago. Brossoit looked just as good in the regular season, and come playoff time the team couldn't hold on.
Bones’ presser basically confirmed what everyone who watch the series thought - this was not the same Avs team they saw in the regular season. He talked a lot about the Avs intensity being on another level compared to what they’d seen before. He even referred to it as the Avs flipping a switch

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad