Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I'm saying add a legit starter. Like Ullmark or Markstrom or Saros.

Im also saying Allen is not that great, and he is not going to be better next year than Daws/Schmid.

I would like to see this in terms of the depth chart.

Markstrom
Daws
Schmid

This gives you a legit starter for a few years while the two young guys figure out which one is better.
I'd just keep them all and see how it shakes out

Reactions: Whaddagoal

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
If they sign a veteran and keep both young guys they really have little in the way of downside. Both young goalies have some games remaining before they need waivers and can play in the AHL. Presumably one or both veterans play well enough but if not they would have both younger guys ready to go. I'm sure that appeals much more to NJ than what they did last season. It's clear you have a rooting interest in the younger goalies but forcing them to earn it after last season is not a bad strategy. I don't see any actual NJ fans pounding the table for this and both young goalies are perceived positively but it's shown so far they are inconsistent.
The only problem I have with this is that both sharing duties in the AHL benefits neither in terms of development this upcoming year especially since they have Poulter.

One needs to be AHL starter and one needs to be an NHL back up. That's where I have them at in their development.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The only problem I have with this is that both sharing duties in the AHL benefits neither in terms of development this upcoming year especially since they have Poulter.

One needs to be AHL starter and one needs to be an NHL back up. That's where I have them at in their development.
I'd like to think you are correct but neither was stable enough in the NHL last season to be comfortable. Especially Schmid who was really hot and cold. It took him a while to find his footing in the AHL after being sent down.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I respectfully disagree. I think they weren't ready this year for the workload they got. The two of then are more than ready for next year and you should keep both this year, best training camp gets the back up spot. A legit starter will ease up alot on a young back up.

Our dumbass GM traded a young goalie once bc he thought he had the better one in Pogge, turns out Rask is basically a hall of famer. I wouldn't want NJ to repeat that.
Schmid hardly got any workload. As a matter of fact, I roasted Ruff for not playing him enough early and always going with Vitek.

Daws got a little too much of one later on.

All it takes is one injury to whoever the starter is and Daws or Schmid are playing as much as Daws did after Vitek got hurt.

I think you're way too high on these goalies. Nobody is turning into Rask over here. That's a bit extreme.

Reactions: My3Sons

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Schmid hardly got any workload. As a matter of fact, I roasted Ruff for not playing him enough early and always going with Vitek.

Daws got a little too much of one later on.

All it takes is one injury to whoever the starter is and Daws or Schmid are playing as much as Daws did after Vitek got hurt.

I think you're way too high on these goalies. Nobody is turning into Rask over here. That's a bit extreme.
Agree but have to bring up an extreme example to highlight my perspective.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
Jesper Bratt has 359 career points with NJ, good for 14th on the franchise list. If he has another 80 point season he’ll vault up to 9th with 459, passing Langebrunner, Sykora, Driver, Parise, Stevens, and Broten. By the time he hits 500 points he’ll be in the top 5 and not far from the top 3. LMAO.
not bad for a 6th rounder

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I think they’re being respectful and genuinely engaging in a conversation, but it always seems silly to me when fans of other teams think they understand the players and circumstances of a team better than the fanbase that watches (or suffers through) every single game of said team.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think they’re being respectful and genuinely engaging in a conversation, but it always seems silly to me when fans of other teams think they understand the players and circumstances of a team better than the fanbase that watches (or suffers through) every single game of said team.
To be fair, every team does this both ways. How many times have we wanted or hated a player/coach and the team fans told us to feel the opposite way.

We tell them how they should feel about what they have and they do the same. It's all over this site.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
With the McDonagh trade today, if Tampa wants any chance at bringing back Stamkos, it seems that they will have to move 2 of Cernak/Cirelli/Jeannott.

- Cernak is the exact type of defensemen the Devils are in need of. Though he is a RHD, and the Devils are moreso in need of a LHD. Does handedness matter THAT much?
- Cirelli would be an excellent choice as a two-way 3C to play behind Hughes and Hischier. Would be one of the better 3Cs in the league. Great defensively and can produce points.
- Jeannott, albeit expensive for a 4th liner, would bring much needed jam to this Devils team.

Reactions: Xirik

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
i wonder if bratt, overcome with giddiness, almost smiled at his wedding.
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

MWagg72

May 9, 2021
I'm saying add a legit starter. Like Ullmark or Markstrom or Saros.

Im also saying Allen is not that great, and he is not going to be better next year than Daws/Schmid.

I would like to see this in terms of the depth chart.

Markstrom
Daws
Schmid

This gives you a legit starter for a few years while the two young guys figure out which one is better.
Then we are down to Daws and Schmid again after Markstrom blows a hip or retires in camp (see Crawford and Bernier).

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
With the McDonagh trade today, if Tampa wants any chance at bringing back Stamkos, it seems that they will have to move 2 of Cernak/Cirelli/Jeannott.

- Cernak is the exact type of defensemen the Devils are in need of. Though he is a RHD, and the Devils are moreso in need of a LHD. Does handedness matter THAT much?
- Cirelli would be an excellent choice as a two-way 3C to play behind Hughes and Hischier. Would be one of the better 3Cs in the league. Great defensively and can produce points.
- Jeannott, albeit expensive for a 4th liner, would bring much needed jam to this Devils team.
It looks like Cernak isn't going anywhere. But maybe it's just talk.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It looks like Cernak isn't going anywhere. But maybe it's just talk.

Tampa’s most used pairs in the seasons before McDonough left were, by far, Hedman/Rutta and McDonough/Cernak.

The plan has to be to unite McDonough and Cernak. That makes their defense kind of pricey, and who knows what the Hedman gets as a UFA, but that has to be the point of bringing him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad