Series Talk: ECF: New York Rangers vs Florida Panthers *Game 1 Wednesday 5/22 @ 8pm ET*

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I am not ok with wishing serious injury on a player. Like a blown out knee or a head injury. But I think it’s ok to wish a nagging rib or sore hand on a guy. Does that make me a monster??

No one in their right mind wants to see anyone seriously hurt but what Marchand said the other day is on the money. In the playoffs the deeper a team goes the more attrition it usually has and it's just better if that attritions happens to the team we're playing than to us. Florida's got a number of players who play very physical as well as two guys in Tkachuk and Cousins (think Maxim Lapierre) who can really get under skins. They're not a nice team to play against and what Bennett did to Marchand wasn't exactly a one off....he can be a real jerk and you have to fight back......depending on the refs to somehow save you very rarely works. It's not just about retaliating though there is that but it will help if we also making them pay when they take penalties.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Panthers knock a couple (or even more) of our players out of the playoffs this round. So if Trouba or even Rempe really wallop someone as long as it's not over the line to get them a major or suspended it's hockey AFAIC and the Panthers team and fans are just going to have to deal with it.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
No one in their right mind wants to see anyone seriously hurt but what Marchand said the other day is on the money. In the playoffs the deeper a team goes the more attrition it usually has and it's just better if that attritions happens to the team we're playing than to us. Florida's got a number of players who play very physical as well as two guys in Tkachuk and Cousins (think Maxim Lapierre) who can really get under skins. They're not a nice team to play against and what Bennett did to Marchand wasn't exactly a one off....he can be a real jerk and you have to fight back......depending on the refs to somehow save you very rarely works. It's not just about retaliating though there is that but it will also making them pay when they take penalties.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Panthers knock a couple (or even more) of our players out of the playoffs this round. So if Trouba or even Rempe really wallop someone as long as it's not over the line to get them a major or suspended it's hockey AFAIC and the Panthers team and fans are just going to have to deal with it.
This has always been our biggest concern. The attempt Bennett made on Coleman a few years back was evidence of it going wrong, though. We were good enough to capitalize by winning the game and he got suspended for it. I believe that was a huge moment in that series. They are very dirty. They actually didn't play dirty this year, but they are a different breed. Duclair two handing Kucherov in the ribs a couple years ago hasn't been overlooked by our fanbase (even if Kuch and Brisebois are good with it).

All the best because if you win, I think you're the clear cut favorite. I think it's Dallas vs Rangers in the final, but this gongshow you're about to enter in with these rat pieces of shit will not be enjoyable.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I feel like the over arching belief is that Florida’s defense is exploitable but this team had the fewest goals against in the league. They are just really good in every facet of the game.

The fortunate thing is that the Rangers are as well. Gonna be a battle and hopefully a very entertaining one.

They defend very well as a unit of 5. They take away the rush and the cross ice stuff about as well as anyone and they're an excellent shot blocking team - they don't default to it but when its needed, it seems like they always have a guy ready to lay out and get his body on a puck so from a fundamental stand point, I don't think anyone does it any better than they do.

Their defense however does not handle the puck all that well collectively so thats exploitable. Your structure doesn't matter when everyone is in disarray because the puck didn't go to where they expected it to go.

This series (for the Rangers at least) will come down to 3 things IMO.

1. How well do the Rangers D box out/pick up the sicks of the Florida forwards who are going to try to create all of the traffic in the slot area? This is really the bread and butter of the Florida offense - More 2010's era Kings-esque than Carolina-esque (and this worries me, I don't think or D are collectively very good here.)
2. Will they be able to create enough TO's via the Florida D and cash in on those opps when they do happen?
3. Special teams, as always.

There are other variables (Injuries, goaltending as their goalie is the epitome of a wild card.) This has all the makings of a potential blood bath but the good news is when ever their opponents decide that they want to push that button, the Rangers have responded by smashing it.

Side show stuff aside, Florida is really, really, really good at hockey. I thought the media made too big a deal about Carolina for a multitude of reasons but don't feel that way about the Panthers at all.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This has always been our biggest concern. The attempt Bennett made on Coleman a few years back was evidence of it going wrong, though. We were good enough to capitalize by winning the game and he got suspended for it. I believe that was a huge moment in that series. They are very dirty. They actually didn't play dirty this year, but they are a different breed. Duclair two handing Kucherov in the ribs a couple years ago hasn't been overlooked by our fanbase (even if Kuch and Brisebois are good with it).

All the best because if you win, I think you're the clear cut favorite. I think it's Dallas vs Rangers in the final, but this gongshow you're about to enter in with these rat pieces of shit will not be enjoyable.

I think the series could go either way. Barkov is a very gifted player and Tkachuk, Reinhart, Verhaeghe and Forsling are really excellent players. To me they're a lot like Carolina only quite a bit nastier. We're a deeper team IMO than we were a couple years ago when we played you guys...also better options to bring into the lineup if someone goes down not that I want that to happen. Florida has some decent options as spares too. Both teams seem relatively healthy right now. All the teams left are really good. You can't take any of them for granted and if your team hasn't won in 30 years it's best not to celebrate until you actually do get there or at least that's the way I look at it. The Panthers were close last year and I know that feeling and I expect they're really motivated having another shot.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lindgren's stick never swiped and the puck was too far forward. It was Aho

It did swipe and his stick is the one on the puck here.

Screen Shot 2024-05-18 at 9.55.25 PM.png

Come on man lol. I'm in agreement that Cuylle should have held his ground, but that puck should have never gone there to begin with.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
They defend very well as a unit of 5. They take away the rush and the cross ice stuff about as well as anyone and they're an excellent shot blocking team - they don't default to it but when its needed, it seems like they always have a guy ready to lay out and get his body on a puck so from a fundamental stand point, I don't think anyone does it any better than they do.

Their defense however does not handle the puck all that well collectively so thats exploitable. Your structure doesn't matter when everyone is in disarray because the puck didn't go to where they expected it to go.

This series (for the Rangers at least) will come down to 3 things IMO.

1. How well do the Rangers D box out/pick up the sicks of the Florida forwards who are going to try to create all of the traffic in the slot area? This is really the bread and butter of the Florida offense - More 2010's era Kings-esque than Carolina-esque (and this worries me, I don't think or D are collectively very good here.)
2. Will they be able to create enough TO's via the Florida D and cash in on those opps when they do happen?
3. Special teams, as always.

There are other variables (Injuries, goaltending as their goalie is the epitome of a wild card.) This has all the makings of a potential blood bath but the good news is when ever their opponents decide that they want to push that button, the Rangers have responded by smashing it.

Side show stuff aside, Florida is really, really, really good at hockey. I thought the media made too big a deal about Carolina for a multitude of reasons but don't feel that way about the Panthers at all.
I don’t think Florida plays a man-on-man scheme, which is something the rangers are actually fairly good at exploiting like they do against Carolina. In that sense Florida might pose a more difficult challenge like you said even if they aren’t going to be as ferocious when pressuring the puck. It will be interesting to see how the rangers are able to create offense. In the regular season over the past couple seasons the rangers have been able to penetrate Florida, not that it means anything

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Florida scares me. I wonder if Barkov is going to be playing hurt after blocking that shot with his hand, that could be big. We need to get to Bob early. He's prone to mistakes and can get pretty erratic when he's flustered but when he finds his groove he's all-world.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Florida scares me. I wonder if Barkov is going to be playing hurt after blocking that shot with his hand, that could be big. We need to get to Bob early. He's prone to mistakes and can get pretty erratic when he's flustered but when he finds his groove he's all-world.
They said he wasn’t taking faceoffs after, if that’s the case, he obviously feels too much pain or a strength issue.

I keep hearing how well FLAs forwards play D, but after watching almost every minute of the bruins/cats series I’m not so sure.
Bruins multiple times were able to slip a man behind them, they had 3-4 breakaways a game from just beyond the red line in.
Bruins offensive just wasn’t able to score enough and capitalize on their chances.
If they let that happen with us, they are going to get burned

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Wife says to me today, 'After each playoff round, the NHL should allow players from all eliminated teams to throw their names into a participant pool. Then the remaining teams can bid on them, with the caveat being that each player you bring in requires you to give back two plus draft compensation to the selected player's team at a minimum of two second round picks or a first round pick. You could also trade a player out of your organization in the return but you'd still have to give back two players as part of the pool scheme anyway.'

That would be delicious chaos. For added complexity, selecting teams would be charged a 'per game' rate (even though players are not paid during the playoffs) based on the player's regular season contract. So for example if the Oilers got eliminated but the Rangers selected and won McDavid for the ECF they'd be charged a cap overage of 1/82* his 2023-24 salary applicable to the 24-25 cap.

There's a world here where a team goes into the SCF with three superstar lines and no additional depth.
I am wondering if you’re married to Phil Esposito.

• Haha
Reactions: Clark Kellogg

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen

Thanks for providing a perspective from outside this bubble.

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
Wife says to me today, 'After each playoff round, the NHL should allow players from all eliminated teams to throw their names into a participant pool. Then the remaining teams can bid on them, with the caveat being that each player you bring in requires you to give back two plus draft compensation to the selected player's team at a minimum of two second round picks or a first round pick. You could also trade a player out of your organization in the return but you'd still have to give back two players as part of the pool scheme anyway.'

That would be delicious chaos. For added complexity, selecting teams would be charged a 'per game' rate (even though players are not paid during the playoffs) based on the player's regular season contract. So for example if the Oilers got eliminated but the Rangers selected and won McDavid for the ECF they'd be charged a cap overage of 1/82* his 2023-24 salary applicable to the 24-25 cap.

There's a world here where a team goes into the SCF with three superstar lines and no additional depth.
Sounds more like a fantasy league instead of a real professional league with real life players. I hate that idea in so many ways. Why even have a team then?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Why is everyone so scared of Florida? It’s going to be a tough series. The Rangers have been comeback machines all year and have more talent than them. I’m not really sure what this team needs to do to make fans confident lol
If they're up 3-0 in a series with a 5 goal lead in the third period, then yes, we'll be confident.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Considering that all of MoneyPuck's PBP data based metrics say we're the worst team remaining, I'm genuinely curious as to how we've been and continue to be their odds on favorite for the cup. Early on matchups factor in heavily, but at the current point you have to conclude their model considers us the strongest team - at least if you factor in home ice advantage.

Screenshot_20240519-122922.jpg

Though they have done work trying to quantify shooting talent and I assume goaltending talent as well so perhaps those are the things that push us over the edge.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Considering that all of MoneyPuck's PBP data based metrics say we're the worst team remaining, I'm genuinely curious as to how we've been and continue to be their odds on favorite for the cup. Early on matchups factor in heavily, but at the current point you have to conclude their model considers us the strongest team - at least if you factor in home ice advantage.

View attachment 873176

Though they have done work trying to quantify shooting talent and I assume goaltending talent as well so perhaps those are the things that push us over the edge.

Dallas being~43% to get past Edmonton in the third round is crazy. Whatever they're doing here is wonky.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Florida is a big, very skilled team. They also take a lot of penalties. If the refs actuality call them, our PO should get chances. Gotta capitalize on them. Make them pay every time they go to the box.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad