GDT: ECSF - Game 3: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Rangers, 7pm ET, TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
TBH they totally dominated Florida last year in games 1 and 4 and lost somehow...that was one of the most misleading sweeps ever. I think TB over MTL in 04 was statistically the only less accurate sweep based on advanced stats til that one. They do seem to find ways to lose series they should not lose
But their version of dominance is an illusion in terms of what teams need to do to get them over the hump. They need THAT PLUS more than just Guentzel. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is because I never played at a high level, but there has to be something that the forwards do that doesn't translate as much against playoff coaching. Or over a series.

Again, good players, good team - they are right there. Just make a move to two. Or don't because I am a Ranger fan and don't want to see an even better CAR in the div.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
I'm guessing quality vs quantity plays a role
I didn’t get to watch the game, but my coworker who did said Canes definitely outplayed them this game and from what I saw of game 2 I’d say Canes win that one 7 out of 10 times.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
1715308768591.png
fun reminder that the Hurricanes are paying Jesperi Kotkaniemi almost 5M a year just to do jack shit

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
True but to me canes have a fantastic roster and if they had some luck they could have been up to 2 to 1 if they won the overtime games. I still say this hurricane has some category 2 winds. Might win a couple.
They do and they could. But in the end they have to beat the goalie who is probably the best right now in the playoffs 4 times in a row.

Zarao71

Jul 19, 2021
True but to me canes have a fantastic roster and if they had some luck they could have been up to 2 to 1 if they won the overtime games. I still say this hurricane has some category 2 winds. Might win a couple.
No chance in hell. This Ranger team is different. Carolina is done and they know it.

Reactions: yrrebbor

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was on the Canes wagon due to the Pens get a 1st if they make the finals. A 5th if they win on top of it.

Looks like will be settling for the Flyers 2nd and rest of the package.

I don't even blame Jake, others needed to step up.

Reactions: NorthStar4Canes

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
But their version of dominance is an illusion in terms of what teams need to do to get them over the hump. They need THAT PLUS more than just Guentzel. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is because I never played at a high level, but there has to be something that the forwards do that doesn't translate as much against playoff coaching. Or over a series.

Again, good players, good team - they are right there. Just make a move to two. Or don't because I am a Ranger fan and don't want to see an even better CAR in the div.
last two seasons

Bobrovsky

Shesterkin

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Igor is getting way too much credit. I can give credit where its due but he barely had to make more than 2 hard saves tonight. He was good in game 2 but IMO tonight he was barely a factor at all. NYR played by far their best game of this series
That is such a ridiculous statement to make. To have a goalie that does not leak bad goals or rebounds after 45+ shots a game is a huge confidence boost for his team even if he doesn’t have to make a lot of highlight reel saves

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rangers will probably try to semi no show next game. I do think players know a sweep is not always great. We've seen some teams have less than solid efforts in game 4s on the road the last few years then they step on the neck in game 5 at home. Might see it here again

I doubt any team does that on purpose. More likely desperate teams don't want to get swept at home.

Reactions: ViD

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
I didn’t get to watch the game, but my coworker who did said Canes definitely outplayed them this game and from what I saw of game 2 I’d say Canes win that one 7 out of 10 times.
They did in the first period after that they shot perimeter shots and allowed multiple high danger situations. Think the Rangers were better post the first intermission and it seems like everyone here agrees.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
Nooo. Rod makes it to the second round.
As the playoffs progress, and teams nod out (Hurricanes still there, but I think the writing is on the wall) the coaching carousel starts to draw itself.
As for the Hurricanes not giving that new offer to Brind'Amour, it's not the slightest bit perplexing.
They're just waiting for this season's results before extending their faith.
If Hurricanes don't move on, they will say "this isn't getting us there, so..." and at this point, it would be the correct choice.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

Illusion of dominance is pretty profound. They do control the puck and cycle but rely on so many perimeter shots.

Anyone have a breakdown of average length of shot for the Canes vs league average?

Some stat geek help me out.

Reactions: DialUp

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That is such a ridiculous statement to make. To have a goalie that does not leak bad goals or rebounds after 45+ shots a game is a huge confidence boost for his team even if he doesn’t have to make a lot of highlight reel saves
Yup!

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I doubt any team does that on purpose. More likely desperate teams don't want to get swept at home.

Tampa legit seemed to lose on purpose in 2021 vs MTL. Someone else seemed to last year too but I forgot the series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad