Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He had his moments in game 6/7. 6 especially. Thought it was the right move for EDM going back too him.

Was kinda being a dick with that post but more-so just proud of Silovs. He wasnt Demko but with little experience but did great.
Silica did well but he’s also a large reason why we did so poorly in games 6/7

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Silovs did an outstanding job getting to high danger shots that he had no business on, but he also lost his net a ton and let in more than a few weak stinkers.

He's got upside, but he reminds me a bit of an old Oiler goalie in JDD (Jeff Drouin Deslauriers), who had the same MO.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Vancouver came a long way this year. They have a lot to build on, questions to answer of course, but I like their direction. Made it that far without the #1, that’s impressive.

Can’t see Edmonton making it past Dallas.

Reactions: DekeyPete

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It really is a refreshing and heart-warming show from the crowd vs throwing beer cans and rancid steak onto the ice. Just cements the idea that IQ goes up the closer you get to the coasts. Good series from both teams! Good hockey.
Wasn't it Canucks fans who were throwing shit on the ice in game 5? And do I need to mention 2011?

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Congrats Oilers, gritty series win. Canucks were a tough out, but championship caliber teams find ways to finish hot teams with good mojo. Pulling for McDavid to get "Cup" and Oilers winning would be good for fan-base. Good luck Oilers
Ah hot teams. Hot teams don't just win a division. The Oilers won because Demko was out. End of.

BTW I'll be cheering for Edmonton now. I hate Dallas
Disagree, divisional titles and such don't mean squat come playoff time. At any given time in playoff, a "Hot" NHL playoff team can overcome regular season juggernauts.. Good teams, that win division titles, will go down in playoffs unless they create their own good playoff mojo early. Then "Hot" playoff streaks can follow. This is solid playoff reasoning, and if one has hard time understanding this, watching more playoffs might help paint a better picture. Go through my post history: I've shown nothing but respect towards this team, and actually liked Canucks playoff journey this year. Loved their grit, way they fought through adversity, and their ability to win games late is what it takes to win in playoffs. Plus, was actually hoping Canucks could end their drought because wish every fan-base could experience championship playoff run.

Witnessed my favorite team, Lightning be regular season juggernauts, win division titles, and you name it. But..... if Lightning were not "Hot" at right time, or didn't create good playoff mojo early in playoffs. More than not, that years playoff journey was tougher hill to climb. On example: Lightning's 5 OT winner in game 1 of 2020 playoffs -vs- Blue-Jackets gave Lightning awesome playoff mojo to ride towards SCF's. That 5 OT win mojo helped Lightning get "Hot" during those playoffs. Yes, even a NHL team with all the accolades Lightning had up to that point (3 ECF's & 1 SCF in 5 yrs) can get "Hot" during playoffs. So can a team like Canucks get playoff "Hot" or am I disrespecting my favorite team Lightning here? Now compare that to 2020's 5 OT game one win -vs- way Lightning started year before-vs- Blue-Jackets: That 2019 Lightning team had record breaking season: won divisional title, president trophy, just beat total regular win record that stood 30+ yrs, etc. Did all that regular season success help Lightning? Nope, it did not! Just like Canucks regular season success this season didn't help them win their 2nd rd match-up. How "Hot" a team gets and how "Hot" a team stays during playoffs matters.....

That's the way it goes with Hockey, it's a mental roller-coaster ride that has huge momentum swings to boot. No matter how good a NHL team is during regular season, early good playoff mojo helps teams get playoff "Hot". more than not. Canucks got some of that good early playoff mojo going, especially after those comebacks & late period scores. Watched Lightning ride that "Hottest" to many deep playoff runs (In 2015, Lightning's very young team, that was way ahead of schedule, rode "Playoff Hot" to SCF's). Meant "Hot" as no disrespect to Canucks, but to many fans these days get so offended. So shouldn't be to shocked the word 'Hot" offended someone when describing a NHL teams playoff journey. This "Hot" is just a misunderstand hopefully, but one never knows. Could be a case of "Offended-Overload-Syndrome" (O.O.S.). If "Hot" was a misunderstanding, truly sorry for all that. If "Hot" was not a misunderstanding, kicks rocks and enjoy land of the....... Offended.

Last edited:

IB

Aug 20, 2009
Least worst team won this one. Vancouver just need to be a little less passive. Overall the structure was good use of zone defending, but when someonre is in your zone you need to play them harder and make a play with the puck. So many times either passing an attacker to the next guy or looking to dump it out of the zone, this resulted in so many turnovers and overall disengaged non cohesive team play. That said good overall season but would not be surprised if Canucks take a step back next year.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Obviously the Canucks were not icing anywhere close to their best lineup, but still.

That was one hell of a series.

Hope we see you next year, cuz that was some insanely awesome hockey.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
As arranged, we must now defer to the baseline where the losing team is utter crap and worthless in every way and should surely "blow it up", and the winning team is a flawless juggernaut (except if it's the Oilers, then they'll lose the series in 3 versus Dallas, who will have such an easy time with them that they might as well play their cheerleaders).

This was a series the Oilers would easily drop a few years back, but they found another gear and played their best hockey when the series was on the line. Now, if you subscribe to the idea that Edmonton is McDrai only, it's worth noticing that their ice time was dramatically reduced in games six and seven, with the (seeming) overall effect of a better team game. The issue is lurking, however, that the Oilers have the capacity to fall through due to the talent level of their worst players, but playing as a cohesive team (and they do that more often now) they're as good as any team. Now nobody knows how the Stars series will go (although they may pretend to do so with confidence), but there's an argument that Dallas has a higher "floor" in that their worst players are likely better than Edmonton's worst. They thus have more players that can pick up the slack if either their own star players or the opposition is off their game.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
HDCF as your only stat is funny. Don't think advanced stats are for you. Oilers dominated O-zone possession time, slot shots, rush chances, HDC's, and expected goals for the series. Canucks lucky they even got a game 7.

It's actually pretty funny... Corsi includes BLOCKED SHOTS and SHOTS WIDE/OVER THE NET

If this is the argument for Vancouver being the better team... (when every other stat favors the Oilers by a WIDE margin), then you have some learning to do about playoff hockey... in my book a blocked shot and a missed shot attempt have everything to do with good defending. Stick taps to my defenders all around.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
As arranged, we must now defer to the baseline where the losing team is utter crap and worthless in every way and should surely "blow it up", and the winning team is a flawless juggernaut (except if it's the Oilers, then they'll lose the series in 3 versus Dallas, who will have such an easy time with them that they might as well play their cheerleaders).

This was a series the Oilers would easily drop a few years back, but they found another gear and played their best hockey when the series was on the line. Now, if you subscribe to the idea that Edmonton is McDrai only, it's worth noticing that their ice time was dramatically reduced in games six and seven, with the (seeming) overall effect of a better team game. The issue is lurking, however, that the Oilers have the capacity to fall through due to the talent level of their worst players, but playing as a cohesive team (and they do that more often now) they're as good as any team. Now nobody knows how the Stars series will go (although they may pretend to do so with confidence), but there's an argument that Dallas has a higher "floor" in that their worst players are likely better than Edmonton's worst. They thus have more players that can pick up the slack if either their own star players or the opposition is off their game.

I think this is all true.

The reality is that Vancouver is a great team and had a great (unexpectedly great) season.

Oilers also had to play their best defensive game in games 6 and 7 to shield their goalie and win. It was nerve wracking but they got it done.

Onto Dallas... you are right, their depth is their strength... stating the obvious, but we only win this one if McDrai are the difference IMO. (and credit again to Vancouver's PK... will Dallas be able to keep us off the board the way Vancouver did at the end of the series? Let's see)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Silovs was great. He might want back couple goals over the series but he made a lot of big saves that Skinner likely doesn't make

I wasn't a fan of going back with Skinner along with 90% of the fanbase. I could understand if your number 1 was Shesty, Hellebuyck, Demko level it's a no-brainer but Skinner isn't a number 1 on a lot of teams but it did turn out to be the right choice

I have a soft spot for Silovs he won me two of my fantasy leagues when I picked him up that game Vs Anaheim
I thought the Skinner choice was ridiculous... maybe it did something to the team mentally.. They played two pretty good games and really didn't ask much of Skinner.

I assume you see both goalies against Dallas.

Reactions: Macheteops

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
What an absolute banger of a series. Right up there with Edmonton Dallas in '97.

And quite a few notches over the first BOA I was able to witness a couple years ago.

Canucks are a bitter rival, but I tip my hat with mad respect for how they played that series.

Be proud of your team, Vancouver
Ive got all the respect in the world for Silovs. Comin into the series when I heard 3rd string goalie I thought McDave and co. Would light him up. That glove save on I believe Drai was unreal

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
The Nucks were solid until the took a 3-2 lead... Then, they missed their killer instinct, they seem to be more concerned with getting QH and their Mitch Marner 40 a goal than winning the series.

You cannot be outshot 24-4 by midgame 7, especially when you had a 4 minutes PP....

Ive got all the respect in the world for Silovs. Comin into the series when I heard 3rd string goalie I thought McDave and co. Would light him up. That glove save on I believe Drai was unreal
It is hard to say, but I think Silovs played better than Demko would probably had in this series.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Wasn't it Canucks fans who were throwing shit on the ice in game 5? And do I need to mention 2011?
Thats never happened in edm...

1716302556809.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Canucks had a better season than most people expected. Nothing to be ashamed about considering how disfunctional last season was. Must suck for their fans to lose to edmonton but it's not all bad , step in the right direction

Reactions: Rob and Dialamo

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If the Oilers lost... my excuses would have been:

McDavid is playing injured.
Skinner has been below average and lost games on his own.
Kane, Perry, McLeod, Foegle have been horrible and not contributing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad