Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
yup luck luck luck

only won because of luck.

Relax....Definitely "lucky" in terms of the way the bracket with the new format shook out. They were 5th in the conference standings. If it was the old 1-8 reseeded, they woulda played Colorado in R1, and then Dallas R2 both without home ice advantage.

Much tougher road.

Vancouver was extremely lucky they played Nashville in the first round as well.

Maybe, at least over Vegas, sure. But Nashville was a team a lot were saying could maybe pull an upset.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
jeesh maybe they need to have an IQ test or be older than 12 to post here. Emotions get the best of people i guess...stay classy

Congrats to the Oilers. That was one hell of a series.

Have to fully admit i didnt think my Nucks would push you guys that hard and far. Silovs heroics was something to behold. Both rinks and cities were epic and the boys at Sportsnet must have been licking their chops as this one went to 7. Crushing to not have Boeser for game 7 guy has shown he's got ice water in his veins and is money below the circles. That really effected our psyche to start that game me thinks. Best players have to be your best and to get this far with Pettersson Hughes Hronek scoring 2 goals and no Demko was actually a great achievement. When Miller took that labelled shot that was blocked at the end you must have had your hearts skip a beat.

Looks like the support group that the OIl have built and have with Hyman Ekblad RNH Kane Holloway Kulak even Desharnais has finally got to the stage where your able to support the two headed monster. Will be fully tested next series by Dallas. Some really good 2 way play and blocks by all your best players. The renaissance of Ekblad and the development of Bouchard was something to behold. What a tremendous pick up that has helped Bouchard's coming of age at the right time. Clearly an impact player who just murdered us. As much as we love to bug about the Nurse contract and his wildly inconsistent play which was on display early his PK work this series was superb when it needed to be.

Gonna have to get more from Mcloed Janmark Brown etc if you want to win 2 more series but every stage presents new challenges and a new storyline and match ups and unsung heroes. People saying you will get crushed by Dallas are just being petty and dumb.

Good luck and go get that Cup and bring it back to Canada where it belongs.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Relax....Definitely "lucky" in terms of the way the bracket with the new format shook out. They were 5th in the conference standings. If it was the old 1-8 reseeded, they woulda played Colorado in R1, and then Dallas R2.

Much tougher road.

Maybe, at least over Vegas, sure. But Nashville was a team a lot were saying could maybe pull an upset.
Not our fault. Vancouver could've had the "easy" path but they chose to win the division instead.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
yup luck luck luck

only won because of luck.
Gotta be a drinking game for HF today. Might get deadly though or put someone in AA.

Take a shot when you see "luck"
Take a shot when you see "canucks wouldve won IF"
Take a shot for the excuse "injuries"
Take 3 shots if a post thats got nothing to do with the Leafs gets posted

Reactions: Oilslick941611

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Relax....Definitely "lucky" in terms of the way the bracket with the new format shook out. They were 5th in the conference standings. If it was the old 1-8 reseeded, they woulda played Colorado in R1, and then Dallas R2 both without home ice advantage.

Much tougher road.

If it was the old 1-8 seed, the last few games by some teams would had not been meaningless, and the outcome could had been different.

Even assuming that all other games would had eneded the same way, the Avs-Oilers last game of the season would had been for home advantage. I don't think the Oilers would had rested McD+Drai+Hyman+....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You think that logic up all by yourself?

I just find it silly that Canucks fans are chirping the Oilers by saying "now you gotta play the Stars!", as if their team didn't just get eliminated and the Oilers factually have an infinitely better chance at winning the cup than the Canucks.

A losing team chirping the winning team because "you're going to play a much better team next round!" is silly, just reeks of being a sore loser.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Gotta be a drinking game for HF today. Might get deadly though or put someone in AA.

Take a shot when you see "luck"
Take a shot when you see "canucks wouldve won IF"
Take a shot for the excuse "injuries"
Take 3 shots if a post thats got nothing to do with the Leafs gets posted
I know your avatar is Gord Downie but it looks like an AI render of the hockey guy.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, @bucks_oil I'll honestly vouch that 3 on 0 has been pretty pro Oilers since about the first period of game 6.

Which is strange for him, but it's a nice change.
3 on 0 posts are the internet forum equivalent of the "if a tree falls in the forest" proverb though. How can you prove that to be true when nobody can see it?

Silovs has been praised by everyone from Oiler fans, NHL fans, the media. oddly enough it's the Vancouver fans who have been belittling him the most.

Of course I'd want a goalie that can stop HDCs.
Silovs will be interesting to track moving forward. The Oilers seemed to figure him out... but he was making almost every high danger save so you would assume that any other issues can be ironed out.

Ultimately he finished the playoffs with only slightly better numbers than Skinner, despite his frequent heroics.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Good luck and go get that Cup and bring it back to Canada where it belongs.
1716310232708.gif

Last edited:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Great series. I have to tip my hat to Vancouver for their relentless attack and ability to come back in games. It felt like they were never out of it.

I know many will point to the absence of Boeser, and as much as that sucks for him and the team - it was only 1 game of 7. The more troubling fact is that key players like Pettersson and Hughes couldn't step-up.

Similar story with Demko. Obviously not having him was unfortunate, but I didn't feel like Silovs gave any gimmes to the Oilers either. At the same time, the Caucks only managed to win 1 of 2 games against another "AHL goalie" (Pickard) themselves.. and quite frankly, Skinner played liked one in his first two games too.

Miller is such a good player. I always knew he had skill, but this series was especially amazing to watch. He's the heart and soul of that club. As an aside, the fact that amazing American players like him (and Boesser) never got to play in best-on-best tournaments is an absolute travesty. The NHL really dropped the ball regarding Olympics / failing to host a world cup.

Special shoutout to Nuge in this series. Obviously the big-guys get most of the attention and accolades in Edmonton, but I though RNH had a fantastic bounce-back-series (was somewhat meh vs LA). Three multi-point nights, held off the scoresheet only once, and finished the last game with 1-1-2 and the GWG with 21 min TOI in his hometown. He's their best F on the PK and had some monster moments in games 6 and 7 including a huge faceoff-win late in game 6. He came to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad