Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Why you tagging me? I never claimed Vancouver was a better team nor did I say anything about high danger chances. I said the series was pretty even

Should’ve responded with this gif

1716310742830.gif

Reactions: I am toxic

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The Oilers were the better team and deserved the series win.

Ultimately playoff experience played a big part in game 7. The Oilers came out executing while the Canucks looked passive, overwhelmed and tentative with their decisions. It was too late when the Canucks turned their game up.

There were larger stretches where the Oilers were the better team. I think Vancouver was better in games 1 and 5 and the Oilers in games 2, 4, 6 and 7. Thought game 3 was a toss up it looked like Edmonton controlled play but the Canucks were protecting a 2 goal lead very well. In any case, it would have been a stolen series had Vancouver found a way to win game 7.

Hughes was hurt
McDavid was hurt
Pettersson was absent
Injuries are mostly excuses but Vancouver's best players weren't the best players for them. THAT, coupled with an inept powerplay is ultimately what sunk the Canucks. Oilers move on and will play a team that's probably pretty similar to Vancouver but deeper in all positions. Have to think Dallas is a slight odds advantage to win the series wouldn't be surprised to see the Oilers win it, though.

Good luck Oilers fans. I know there's a ton of animosity between our fanbases but for the adults good series, good fun. To the children that are taking this as an opportunity tomtake shots at the losing team; or to those that are making excuses and proclaiming a Dallas sweep next series- grow up and find something meaningful in your life where you don't have to put others down.

Cheers all,

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I just find it silly that Canucks fans are chirping the Oilers by saying "now you gotta play the Stars!", as if their team didn't just get eliminated and the Oilers factually have an infinitely better chance at winning the cup than the Canucks.

A losing team chirping the winning team because "you're going to play a much better team next round!" is silly, just reeks of being a sore loser.
Well I mean, you won’t be playing a 3rd string goalie… you won’t be playing a team with their captain having an injured wrist, you’re playing a team they won’t have their best defender obviously be injured…

Am I missing something?

Knuts

Aug 10, 2008
Victoria
This was a great series. Was a total coin flip - could have gone either way. A one goal win in game seven was the appropriate ending.

Reactions: nabob

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Are all the people who keep screaming about "3rd string goalie" Silovs gonna be confused when the Canucks don't re-sign DeSmith this summer and don't send Silovs back to the AHL next year or do they just not realize how bad faith of an argument they're pursuing?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Also not trying to pour salt on the would or give you an "I told you so", Hughes was definitely crushed physically.
I feel like he got beat up hard and it eventually took a toll on his body, mind and soul.

Much like 97, he was not his dynamic self.

Are all the people who keep screaming about "3rd string goalie" Silovs gonna be confused when the Canucks don't re-sign DeSmith this summer and don't send Silovs back to the AHL next year or do they just not realize how bad faith of an argument they're pursuing?
HF is all about bad faith arguments.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Also lest we forget Vegas just won a cup with their """"3rd string goalie"""". Or was he the 4th string? Can't recall anymore.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I knew the Nucks would lose game 7 when I saw the lack of energy from their crowd. I mean look at this home made cup. Worst home made cup I’ve ever seen. Did he use an empty ketchup bottle? Is price of aluminum foil too high to use anything bigger?

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Yet Canucks fans are saying he’s one of the main reasons why they lost…

Silovs exceeded expectations and was pretty solid. I'd be happy to pencil him in as the backup for the Canucks next season.

Silovs' play was not the reason the Canucks lost. However, having a healthy (and in-form) Demko may have made a difference as the Oilers generally outplayed the Canucks and to counteract that we needed our goalie to steal multiple games.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
kind of frustrating for a canucks fan. oilers were very beatable but the canucks could not quite rise to the occasion and you could see in the end it would not matter if they did. they ran out of gas.

i actually credit the preds for an absolute grind of a series putting the canucks down. the canucks came into this series worn down and did not have the experience or depth to deal with it. the oilers were not nearly as tough an opponent as the preds but the canucks just were not as good after the preds.

bottom line, the series was winnable on paper for the canucks, but the oilers had more horses in the end. i will be interested to see how they handle dallas because that will tell me how big an opportunity the canucks missed. my hunch is dallas would have eaten the canuck's lunch if they had eked out a win in game 7. nothing left in the tank.

200w.gif

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Oilers played great in game 6 and 7 they deserve the win but I'm still mad at them for getting 5 first overall picks 10 years ago

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I think the biggest issue was how it threw the Canucks lines into a blender. They were running with 2 lines tonight basically, and that's relying on Pettersson/Mikheyev who have underperformed.

They didn't have enough offensive depth & that became clear in the 2nd half of the season + into the playoffs. Imagine if it was Guentzel getting that Mikheyev opportunity early in the game? For example.

In a 1 goal game its hard to imagine Brock couldn't have made a difference, but the Canucks also didn't start on time so.. idk. EDM started on time & we didn't, you can't take that away from them.

I feel like Canucks could've won this series if a couple things do/don't happen, but with the game as it was played the Oilers were clearly the better team. And they probably feel the same so... Good series that comes down to 1 goal.
Canucks didnt start many of the games in this series on time but comebacks were due to running 3 lines and having Miller with Boeser. We ran 2 lines where one of them had stone hands mikheyev or Phil. Also our PP couldnt score because we ran it with 2 dman which is not effective. Boeser would have made that PP run. Anyways lets not cry over spilt milk, winning a cup requires lots of luck too, and that includes luck of being healthy
It is amazing that in big games, any player who does underperform "is injured".....
He is injured in Nashville series but believe what you want

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Oilers played great in game 6 and 7 they deserve the win but I'm still mad at them for getting 5 first overall picks 10 years ago
Mad for what?
Yak sucks.
RNH is avg.
Hall is avg (1 great season) and a glass man.
McDavid is the only one worth a damn.

He is injured in Nashville series but believe what you want
Injured for sure. Crushed just like I predicted.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I just find it silly that Canucks fans are chirping the Oilers by saying "now you gotta play the Stars!", as if their team didn't just get eliminated and the Oilers factually have an infinitely better chance at winning the cup than the Canucks.

A losing team chirping the winning team because "you're going to play a much better team next round!" is silly, just reeks of being a sore loser.
Oilers will play 4 more games. Thats the only difference. Their chances of winning a cup is as good as zero. Good luck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad