Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Canucks didnt start many of the games in this series on time but comebacks were due to running 3 lines and having Miller with Boeser. We ran 2 lines where one of them had stone hands mikheyev or Phil. Also our PP couldnt score because we ran it with 2 dman which is not effective. Boeser would have made that PP run. Anyways lets not cry over spilt milk, winning a cup requires lots of luck too, and that includes luck of being healthy

He is injured in Nashville series but believe what you want
You know that nearly every player in the playoffs is injured.

Stop with the weak excuses.

Face it. Playoff type hockey might just not be for Charmin Hughes.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
It was a fun series but let's never do it again. Playing a rival in the playoffs is too stressful.

Silovs was impressive and Miller and Garland are gamers but felt the Oilers controlled play for most of the series and deserved to win. The Oilers top guys are just much better than the Canuck top guys. Not really sure what Pettersson was doing. Hughes is very dynamic but was clearly injured. Will always be a concern going through the playoff grind at his size.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Canucks PP really let them down in the series, 6 one goal games & plenty of opportunities to make a difference. With the talent the Canucks have they need to be better. Seems like they've struggled on & off since Horvat was traded.

Oilers PK was very good too, especially on the draws. Seemed like the Canucks were going back off every draw. And a great job infront of their net. Also out worked us which isn't acceptable when u have an extra guy. EDM deserves a ton of credit for their PK.

Special teams definitely a difference maker in this series

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Are all the people who keep screaming about "3rd string goalie" Silovs gonna be confused when the Canucks don't re-sign DeSmith this summer and don't send Silovs back to the AHL next year or do they just not realize how bad faith of an argument they're pursuing?
They’ll be the first one screaming about him being untouchable in the off season threads

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Canucks PP really let them down in the series, 6 one goal games & plenty of opportunities to make a difference. With the talent the Canucks have they need to be better. Seems like they've struggled on & off since Horvat was traded.

Oilers PK was very good too, especially on the draws. Seemed like the Canucks were going back off every draw. And a great job infront of their net. Also out worked us which isn't acceptable when u have an extra guy. EDM deserves a ton of credit for their PK.

Special teams definitely a difference maker in this series

Agree with this analysis...

For me the really unexpected outcome of this series was strong defending from both sides, not just on the PK... I say that from the perspective of: i) it was probably more surprising how well the Oilers played defensively given our reputation and ii) I'm factoring out goaltending and the wild final minutes of a few of the games... clearly the scoreboards didn't always reflect how tightly checked the majority of each game was.

He replies like a teenager...

Yeah? Well... uhhh... so do YOU!

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Tocheet had any class he’d send the Jack Adam’s award over to Knobluach. To the winner goes the spoils. Knoblauch has earned this Jack Adam’s.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
kind of frustrating for a canucks fan. oilers were very beatable but the canucks could not quite rise to the occasion and you could see in the end it would not matter if they did. they ran out of gas.

i actually credit the preds for an absolute grind of a series putting the canucks down. the canucks came into this series worn down and did not have the experience or depth to deal with it. the oilers were not nearly as tough an opponent as the preds but the canucks just were not as good after the preds.

bottom line, the series was winnable on paper for the canucks, but the oilers had more horses in the end. i will be interested to see how they handle dallas because that will tell me how big an opportunity the canucks missed. my hunch is dallas would have eaten the canuck's lunch if they had eked out a win in game 7. nothing left in the tank.
How they handle Dallas is irrelevant, since that team is an entirely different beast that won't be on PDO lifesupport for 5 games.

Bottom line is the odds of winning a 7 game series while being the better team 5 or 6 out of 21 periods, are astronomical. They were playing mediocre hockey since at least March, the Preds and Oilers series were just extensions of that.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Great series. I have to tip my hat to Vancouver for their relentless attack and ability to come back in games. It felt like they were never out of it.

I know many will point to the absence of Boeser, and as much as that sucks for him and the team - it was only 1 game of 7. The more troubling fact is that key players like Pettersson and Hughes couldn't step-up.

Similar story with Demko. Obviously not having him was unfortunate, but I didn't feel like Silovs gave any gimmes to the Oilers either. At the same time, the Caucks only managed to win 1 of 2 games against another "AHL goalie" (Pickard) themselves.. and quite frankly, Skinner played liked one in his first two games too.

Miller is such a good player. I always knew he had skill, but this series was especially amazing to watch. He's the heart and soul of that club. As an aside, the fact that amazing American players like him (and Boesser) never got to play in best-on-best tournaments is an absolute travesty. The NHL really dropped the ball regarding Olympics / failing to host a world cup.

Special shoutout to Nuge in this series. Obviously the big-guys get most of the attention and accolades in Edmonton, but I though RNH had a fantastic bounce-back-series (was somewhat meh vs LA). Three multi-point nights, held off the scoresheet only once, and finished the last game with 1-1-2 and the GWG with 21 min TOI in his hometown. He's their best F on the PK and had some monster moments in games 6 and 7 including a huge faceoff-win late in game 6. He came to play.

The only "relentless attack" coming out of Vancouver was from Canucks fans on twitter. Their team averaged like 20 shots per game.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
How they handle Dallas is irrelevant, since that team is an entirely different beast that won't be on PDO lifesupport for 5 games.

Bottom line is the odds of winning a 7 game series while being the better team 5 or 6 out of 21 periods, are astronomical. They were playing mediocre hockey since at least March, the Preds and Oilers series were just extensions of that.

lol. please do tell me more about astronomical odds. educate me.

or maybe just take the series win and good luck with dallas.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
The Canucks don't quit so big credit to them, but my god do the Oilers love to beat themselves. Brown shooting the puck over the glass under little pressure, McLeod serving up a pizza to the Canucks most dangerous forward then Bouchard icing a puck for....reasons that led to the Hronek goal.

In any event, good series Canucks fans. The back and forth was entertaining if nothing else.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
In the end it wasn't defense and goaltending that did the 'Nucks in, it was their anemic offence and sadsack powerplay. Hughes was clearly labouring out there, they need to game-plan better for him as he took too much punishment against Nashville. His defending was as solid as it was all year but his mobility was not. The rest of the team simply didn't have the offensive chemistry, nor the finish they enjoyed the first half of the season and it showed. O-Zone time was non-existent in the last two games and really much of the series. The PP was ridiculously bad and something that has to be fixed looking ahead. The Canucks didn't play with any speed and I think that killed them. You have to wonder what Tocchet could have coached differently.

Credit to Knoblauch and the Oilers for defending the middle of the ice well, standing up at the blue-line and for keeping plays alive in the O-zone. They were the better team along the boards. They've always been good with the puck and looking dangerous on the rush. Once they tightened it up defensively, special teams became more of the difference-maker and they rode that to the wins.

They were the better team over the course of the series and full marks for the win. I was impressed with Desharnais, Kulak and Holloway - those guys stepped up and helped it happen. I thought Bouchard was impressive - he took punishment, took some excellent shots that got through and became big goals, and was generally good defensively.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Congrats on your hypothetical win?

What a strange coping comment.
Just sayin. Canucks led the series. Bob Stauffer was on heart attack watch. Frank Sarivelli was lashing out. If the Oilers lost, damn was it gonna be ugly.

In the end it wasn't defense and goaltending that did the 'Nucks in, it was their anemic offence and sadsack powerplay. Hughes was clearly labouring out there, they need to game-plan better for him as he took too much punishment against Nashville. His defending was as solid as it was all year but his mobility was not. The rest of the team simply didn't have the offensive chemistry, nor the finish they enjoyed the first half of the season and it showed. O-Zone time was non-existent in the last two games and really much of the series. The PP was ridiculously bad and something that has to be fixed looking ahead. The Canucks didn't play with any speed and I think that killed them. You have to wonder what Tocchet could have coached differently.

Credit to Knoblauch and the Oilers for defending the middle of the ice well, standing up at the blue-line and for keeping plays alive in the O-zone. They were the better team along the boards. They've always been good with the puck and looking dangerous on the rush. Once they tightened it up defensively, special teams became more of the difference-maker and they rode that to the wins.

They were the better team over the course of the series and full marks for the win. I was impressed with Desharnais, Kulak and Holloway - those guys stepped up and helped it happen. I thought Bouchard was impressive - he took punishment, took some excellent shots that got through and became big goals, and was generally good defensively.
This is mostly BS. The team was playing more conservatively in front of wee Silovs

• Haha
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I live in Edmonton. The city was so prepared to lose this series. The cope was coming on strong. They didn't expect to win.
Crazy that they packed the stadium and outdoor watch parties and every single bar on Whyte Ave with the expectations of losing.

Not an Oilers fan but went to the watch party, might’ve been louder in there than in Vancouver with fans waving white towels before the puck even drops. Talk about expectations of losing.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Just sayin. Canucks led the series. Bob Stauffer was on heart attack watch. Frank Sarivelli was lashing out. If the Oilers lost, damn was it gonna be ugly.
Not sure what kind of coping mechanism you require, but your hypotheticals are embarrassing.

Really proud of the Canucks for leading the series though.

"HoUsEMoney" - to think that we were the ones prepared to lose...

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Not sure what kind of coping mechanism you require, but your hypotheticals are embarrassing.

Really proud of the Canucks for leading the series though.

"HoUsEMoney" - to think that we were the ones prepared to lose...
I feel sorry for @Canucks LB and @Sergei Shirokov and that they have to cheer for the same team as that guy.

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018
I would bet every single one of these Canucks fans in here cheer in the Toronto Blue Jays because they are "Canada's Team"...I know this because they all flock to Seattle to watch them play. So having that said...I would imagine you will all cheer on Edmonton now since they are "Canada's Team", right?

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad