Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
A critical mistake the Nucks made in this series is cheering their team on a first name basis.

Sure you want to get "PETEY" and "JT MILLER" going. But what about the other guys? So many guys could have made an impact but they felt left out and ignored by the Vancouver fanbase. Probably why the Nucks were dominated in possession. Some fanbases just don't know how to cheer their team.
Part of the problem perhaps was that the low event Tocchet hockey that everyone expected in the first 30 games happened in the last 30 games.

The Petey cheer was just to cheer him up. He's a typical Nord. They get a little down on themselves.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Part of the problem perhaps was that the low event Tocchet hockey that everyone expected in the first 30 games happened in the last 30 games.

The Petey cheer was just to cheer him up. He's a typical Nord. They get a little down on themselves.
Tochett just didn't seem to have any answers to Knoblauch's superior system. Tochett's only solution was to just tell his guys to play better and bring more. Which translated from presser to fanbase leading to the very specific and ill-targeted chants of "GO PETEY GO". Just a comedy of errors by Tochet and the fanbase.

Is that why Petey lost his smile? I've never been under the impression that Nords were like that. Most seem pretty level headed and chipper.

Thomas Tatar

Mad for what?
Yak sucks.
RNH is avg.
Hall is avg (1 great season) and a glass man.
McDavid is the only one worth a damn.

Injured for sure. Crushed just like I predicted.
Nuge is worth a damn. You take that back!

I live in Edmonton. The city was so prepared to lose this series. The cope was coming on strong. They didn't expect to win.
Are you done yet? Like someone else already said. Enjoy your summer, move on.

Spicy take

Not a lot of Canucks on the Canucks,

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
View attachment 874095
:eyeroll:

Well, to all the Canucks fans that have maintained a fair level of respect during these 7 games, I salute you! Your team certainly gave us a whole lot of trouble and (with the exception of game 6) they were in every game they played. It's too bad Boeser got a clot and missed the last game. That's a tough break for sure. He was fantastic and hope he recovers.
Lol you did not competently read my comment. Please reread my comment and understand the meaning.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Nuge is worth a damn. You take that back!

Are you done yet? Like someone else already said. Enjoy your summer, move on.

Not a lot of Canucks on the Canucks,

If you want to be nitpicky Myers is also American (but he's played internationally for Canada multiple times).

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
View attachment 874107

6th? Few risers taken after him. Dobson was also taken after him and that would be a great argument on who's better. I think Dobson would win it but just guessing. What a draft for D!
All I know is that HF boards did a ranking in the offseason and way too many fans had Bouchard worse than Hronek.

Laughably bad takes in here.

Reactions: nturn06

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I'd rather hear more about how playing one extra game the series before led to their downfall. No gas in the tank after a 6 game 1st round, lmfao, shouldn't have chased the division banner so hard I guess.

We will take the series win, just like we did with Calgary.

who said the number of games had anything to do with it? nashville was just a much tougher opponent than the oilers.

anyway, carry on with your victory lap.

Nov 1, 2011
Yeh he’s alright. But most of his goals this series were off egregious Oilers D breakdowns giving Boeser time and space to pick his spot from in close. Not much breakdowns in Games 6/7 for Boeser to feast on anyways.

You mean like stone hands Mikh, who was playing in Boeser’s spot?

There were a couple grade A chances for Miller’s wingers.

That close....

Alright, let Zadorov walk

That’s what happens when you play guys in potions they never play (out of desperation).

I think Tocchet was great overall but coached a couple of garbage games in game 6 and 7.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

That’s what happens when you play guys in potions they never play (out of desperation).

I think Tocchet was great overall but coached a couple of garbage games in game 6 and 7.
Not many. Nucks were hemmed in most of this game and series. Complete dominance by Knoblauch's system.

But sure, maybe if Mihk wasn't in that spot someone else scores. Unfortunately the Nucks thought they could copy the Hyman signing and it failed spectacularly.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Spicy take

Ah. So we should have taken Cody Glass instead of Petterson. And passed on Hughs for being American. And kept those picks that turned into nothing instead of getting Miller because he was also American. And Demko

If I recall , the same nonsense was spilled in the Predators series

Not many. Nucks were hemmed in most of this game and series. Complete dominance by Knoblauch's system.

But sure, maybe if Mihk wasn't in that spot someone else scores. Unfortunately the Nucks thought they could copy the Hyman signing and it failed spectacularly.
Hyman is Cheechoo 2.0

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Is there any way for the NHL to change the Jack Adams result? After this series it's been proven that Tocchett is a fraud.
This is just awful gloating.

Yes, the coach of the team that picked 11th last season (and only that high because Tocchet came in and the team moved up from like 3rd worst to 11th in like a month and a half) and changed the culture entirely and won the division out of nowhere, is suddenly a 'hurr durr bad coach' because his team, while missing it's number one (vezina quality) goaltender, lost in game 7 by a single goal to a team that has been knocking on the door of the conference finals for like 5 years.

Yeah...good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is just awful gloating.

Yes, the coach of the team that picked 11th last season (and only that high because Tocchet came in and the team moved up from like 3rd worst to 11th in like a month and a half) and changed the culture entirely and won the division out of nowhere, is suddenly a 'hurr durr bad coach' because his team, while missing it's number one (vezina quality) goaltender, lost in game 7 by a single goal to a team that has been knocking on the door of the conference finals for like 5 years.

Yeah...good stuff.

The series shows that Tocchet was out of ideas. His last gasp attempt at coaching, a public call out of his underperforming players which worked for one game only then the effect dissipated. After that it was all Oilers. Complete domination of possession and shot share as Tocchet stared at his white board with a blank look and blank mind. No answers to Knoblauchs system.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

Agreed. Tocchet got outcoached in games 6 & 7.

Why would he put Mikheyev who was easily the Canucks worst forward in the playoffs in that spot? He was scratched in game 5 and the Canucks played amazing without him. He has 1 goal in his last 60 games and Tocchet puts him with Miller lol. When Tocchet finally moved up Pettersson to play with Miller and put Di Giuseppe in Pettersson’s old spot and stapled Mikheyev to the 4th line the Canucks immediately started playing much better, do bad it took until the 3rd period for the light bulb to turn on. Canuck Nation was losing their shit when they saw the lines without Boeser lol.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Ah. So we should have taken Cody Glass instead of Petterson. And passed on Hughs for being American. And kept those picks that turned into nothing instead of getting Miller because he was also American. And Demko

Hyman is Cheechoo 2.0
Hyman has 11 goals in 12 games. Call him John Scott 4.3 for all we care.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
The only "relentless attack" coming out of Vancouver was from Canucks fans on twitter. Their team averaged like 20 shots per game.
I was more referring to their never-die attitude and ability to come back in games. They trailed a lot, but always made it interesting with some late-game surges (game 6 being the exception).

Or do you take exception to that notion too?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
All I know is that HF boards did a ranking in the offseason and way too many fans had Bouchard worse than Hronek.

Laughably bad takes in here.
I remember that thread vividly.lol

Plus, all the threads that opened up when we were losing to everyone and in dead last... Bouch for a 3rd, Drai for Werenski, some would take a ´flyer'on Bouch, McLeod for a 7th. I seem to recall Montebault being a key piece in a McDavid trade too.lol Also, McDrai will be gone soon. It was amazing stuff!

popo

Aug 9, 2005
Spicy take

Is there a more Canadian roster in the NHL than Edmonton's?

Even the non Canadians on the roster have some decent roots here:
Draisaitl has been in Canada since he was what 16 - practically no accent, spends most of his time here.
Ekholm - moved to Edmonton last season to raise his family.
Derek Ryan - grew up near the border in Spokane Washington, but played University hockey in Edmonton. Spent the last 5 seasons playing in Alberta.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Hyman is Cheechoo 2.0
leon-draisaitl-edmonton-oilers.gif

Woaaah sick attempt of a burn!

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I remember that thread vividly.lol

Plus, all the threads that opened up when we were losing to everyone and in dead last... Bouch for a 3rd, Drai for Werenski, some would take a ´flyer'on Bouch, McLeod for a 7th. I seem to recall Montebault being a key piece in a McDavid trade too.lol Also, McDrai will be gone soon. It was amazing stuff!
Hronek had an elite first half. Like top in +/- and points with league leading 5/5 ice time. The Oilers had a rough first half and Bouch was part of it. So it wasn't a crazy take at the time.

Bouch is better. But aside from that, Hronek hasn't yet peaked and he could go full Erhoff in the next 2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad