Euro: Euro 2024: announced squads, pre-tournament friendlies etc.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Cuts will be Henderson, Konsa, Dunk, Quansah, Wharton, Toney, and Maddison, if I were a betting man.

Wharton making it over Elliott isn't odd given that they weren't in competition with each other. Elliott's competition was Eze and his own teammate Jones.
I don't know if position really matters so much on what could be likely the last cut or the 23rdish player. I do think Elliott offers the squad some tactical flexibility and we've seen he is good coming off the bench.

BUT I am not upset. I completely get it. He has more than enough time. I'm not shocked, and I didn't expect him to make it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Cuts will be Henderson, Konsa, Dunk, Quansah, Wharton, Toney, and Maddison, if I were a betting man.

Wharton making it over Elliott isn't odd given that they weren't in competition with each other. Elliott's competition was Eze and his own teammate Jones.
I think Trafford is gone before Henderson

I guess Saka has recovered from his horrific injury that kept him out of MW38
It was described as a minor muscle injury.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm surprised to not see Brandt as well

He's certainly played well enough to deserve it this season. But we are bringing Musiala, Wirtz, Sane, Havertz, Müller, & Führich who can play across the creative band...who Brandt would be directly competing for PT with.

Plus JN played 3 midfielder shapes during the last break which would mean 1 of the 3 creative spots going to Gundogan...and both Undav & Beier can play on the wing...so JN has 7 to 8 options for those 3 spots behind the striker.

Brandt has been better than Müller this season, but now that Müller is cool with coming off the bench, having the old timer around for a joker role & morale makes sense.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
They should have taken Elliott, Solanke, and the player that they should be starting at left back, Leif Davis, are the biggest omissions here. But there is obviously a lot of talent here. I’m probably bringing Colwill over Dunk but don’t think either ended the season great. I don’t think Elliott was competing with Eze though; Eze more left sided/Elliott more right sided; but Elliott certainly had a better season that Curtis Jones (largely because Jones injury). I think Solanke was better than Toney, but you could have given Elliott that spot too and had Bowen for cover there. Honestly with the way Maddison ended the season you could have taken Elliott over him too, and Eze to backup Jude. Long story short. Elliott should be in the roster. I guess Saka has recovered from his horrific injury that kept him out of MW38
Solanke over Toney is so utterly obvious, both based on who had a good season and based on who is a better fit for being third choice (Toney's ego is not a good fit there).

It wasn't that Colwill "didn't end the season great" lol, he didn't end the season. With the exception of a cameo off the bench last week, he hasn't played at all since early March. I likely would've taken him for the training squad regardless, because if fit he's at the level, but the omission makes sense.
I think Trafford is gone before Henderson

They'll bring Trafford for tournament experience, in spite of the fact that he f***ing sucks ass.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean this is a hockey forum so you might be in the wrong place if you are expecting me to take it easy on a guy who missed his team’s Game 7 equivalent with a minor injury and then packed up for the Euros. I mean this is the soccer page so you might get some sympathy, but it’s not going to be from me. If I was an Arsenal fan I’d be mad as hell

Solanke over Toney is so utterly obvious, both based on who had a good season and based on who is a better fit for being third choice (Toney's ego is not a good fit there).

It wasn't that Colwill "didn't end the season great" lol, he didn't end the season. With the exception of a cameo off the bench last week, he hasn't played at all since early March. I likely would've taken him for the training squad regardless, because if fit he's at the level, but the omission makes sense.

They'll bring Trafford for tournament experience, in spite of the fact that he f***ing sucks ass.
Potato/Potato Tomato/Tomato

But yeah I mean guys like Colwill/Elliott/Davis/etc they are going to need at the World Cup so I think you’ve got to find a spot for them

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Injured vs In Bad Form is not Tomato/Tomato, lol
Oh I didn’t mean he was in bad form. Just that the end of the season wasn’t as strong as the beginning. Goal was not to dump on him

Shaw, when healthy, is clearly the best English LB. And he's shown that with United this season, when he was healthy. I'd imagine if he's on the bench in the FA Cup final, then he'll be good to go at the Euro. But Southgate admitted he is a long shot.
Leif Davis is the answer here

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I mean this is a hockey forum so you might be in the wrong place if you are expecting me to take it easy on a guy who missed his team’s Game 7 equivalent with a minor injury and then packed up for the Euros. I mean this is the soccer page so you might get some sympathy, but it’s not going to be from me. If I was an Arsenal fan I’d be mad as hell
We won the game and the Euros are a month away.

• Haha
Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Confirmed: Gareth Southgate's provisional England squad​

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale, James Trafford.

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite, Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Marc Guéhi, Ezri Konsa, Harry Maguire, Jarell Quansah, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Curtis Jones, Kobbie Mainoo, Declan Rice, Adam Wharton.

Forwards: Jude Bellingham, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, James Maddison, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins.

Hmm, Luke Shaw is in there so the report about him missing the Euros was false.
Good thing Tomori chose England..

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
20 year old deep midfielder who joined Palace from Blackburn in January. Was very good in the Championship but has consistently been very very very good for Palace. Good tackler and strong on the ball

Was going to pick him up in my keeper league, but figured the jump to the Premiership someday would be telling. It Is, but not for the reason I thought…

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Trafford is probably still highly rated in the England setup after winning the U21 Euros last summer without conceding. The jump from League One to the PL was too soon. He's still only 21. Probably in the provisional squad for the experience, can't see him making it over Henderson.

Reactions: luiginb

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Portugal's squad:

1716369666744.png

GK:
Diogo Costa (Porto) / Jose Sa (Wolves) / Rui Patricio (Roma)

Fullbacks:
Joao Cancelo (Barcelona) / Diogo Dalot (Man United) / Nuno Mendes (PSG) / Nelson Semedo (Wolves)

CB:
Pepe (Porto) / Ruben Dias (Man City) / Antonio Silva (Benfica) / Goncalo Inacio (Sporting) / Danilo (PSG)

Midfielders:
Joao Palhinha (Fulham) / Ruben Neves (Al-Itthad) / Joao Neves (Benfica) / Otavio (Al- Nassr) / Bruno Fernandes (Man United) / Bernardo Silva (Man City) / Vitinha (PSG)

Attack:
Rafael Leao (AC Milan) / Diogo Jota (Liverpool) / Joao Felix (Barcelona) / Cristiano Ronaldo (Al-Nassr) / Goncalo Ramos (PSG) / Chico Conceicao (Porto) / Pedro Neto (Wolves)

• Love
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
A squad that was anticipated, and still easily top 3 in the tournament. That being said, some decisions remain disappointing:

Ruben Neves: Not only has he shown throughout his breadth of work on the national team that he does not have the quality to be a difference maker, and is a liability defensively, he still is included despite just becoming worse in Saudi Arabia. Mattheus Nunes needs to be there instead of him, as he offers something none of our other midfielders do outside of Joao Neves, and Mattheus is more physical.

Pedro Neto: Incredible when fully fit, yet he has been injured for months and has played 12 minutes. With Chico (Fransisco Conceicao) in the squad to be a 1 v 1 monster with pace, Trincao in the form he's in would be a great addition as a more cerebral talented winger in tight spaces with a great threat from distance.

Nelson Semedo: With Gurreiro injured and not available, Nelson Semedo with his prior appearances was the obvious solution as he performed decently well, and will be 4th choice. However, both Nuno Santos from Sporting and Tiago Santos from Lille had phenomenal seasons. Nuno Santos being an attacking left footed leftback who has a great cross/shot brings a lot of the skillset Gurreiro left in his absence, while Tiago Santos from Lille was maybe the best RB in France in his first season, with AC Milan already manoeuvring to poach him. Nelson Semedo was the "safe" reserve option, but Tiago Santos or Nuno Santos would be more talented.

Pote was always going to find it difficult with both Bernardo Silva and Bruno Fernandes occupying his exact position.

The rest is fine. Hopefully Ronaldo doesn't start most games, and admits it's time to be a supersub. If he starts every match or vs top teams Portugal is done.

Hopefully it's:

Diogo Costa
Cancelo-Dias-Inacio-Mendes
Palhinha-Vitinha-Bruno Fernandes
Bernardo Silva-Ramos/Jota - Felix/Leao

Too many options in attack, maybe drop Vitinha, move Bernardo back into CM, then add an extra attacker.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad