F Charlie Stramel - Michigan State University, NCAA (2023, 21st, MIN)

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
If they wanted center with nhl size, ritchie and edstrom were both still on the board. either would have been far better pick, which i thought was obvious to most folks at the time.
I agree on Edstrom, he was my personal pick. I am not a Ritchie fan, and I also don't think the top end potentials for any of the three are very far off from each other.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
I agree on Edstrom, he was my personal pick. I am not a Ritchie fan, and I also don't think the top end potentials for any of the three are very far off from each other.
Interesting take. Ritchie averaging 1.6 ppg with Oshawa, voted best playmaker in OHL. Edstrom had solid year. Each with good size. Don't think either org would trade them for Stramel

Reactions: Blueston

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Seems clear they didn’t want another winger or small center, no?
So you pass up a better asset for something that dwindles in value?

1 year removed from the draft, you can’t trade Stramel for Brindley straight up but at the draft you could have traded Minnesota 1st for Columbus 2nd straight up if they wanted to.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Seems clear they didn’t want another winger or small center, no?

Charlie Stramel is what happens when you draft for need in the NHL. Who cares if a team has a glut of any one or two particular positions in their line-up or prospect pool. You should always draft BPA. If, for some reason, you don't have any room in your line-up for a good to great prospect, they still can be of value in the trade market.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I remember near the time of the draft Pronman said a few teams were still very high on him because of his D-1 season. I guess Minnesota was one of them. Minnesota also had the infamous Filip Johansson pick in 2018. Some teams didn't have him in their top 100 and he ended up going 24th.

Minnesota are polarizing drafters. They always go for big swings. Some big hits like Kaprizov, Boldy, Yurov, Eriksson Ek, and Rossi. Interesting style

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Charlie Stramel is what happens when you draft for need in the NHL. Who cares if a team has a glut of any one or two particular positions in their line-up or prospect pool. You should always draft BPA. If, for some reason, you don't have any room in your line-up for a good to great prospect, they still can be of value in the trade market.
You’re right, he’s what happens. We also don’t yet know what he will be, but I suspect you disagree with that and have already decided.

BPA is actually not as plausible as most here state. The NHL isn’t a video game. If you want to shift assets, it’s always possible, but not always for the type of value you want. And other teams aren’t going to throw you a life line when they know what you are trying to do. That often will cause you to move assets when their value is low because teams don’t usually trade the ones whose value is high.

BPA makes sense in some cases, but not when you are picking in the first round and have a bunch of established pieces at a position, unless the value is so much greater of the player type you have too many of. Might make sense when you are rebuilding and have more room to try things. Not the situation the Wild were in. Then again, Stramel might have been BPA at the draft and might in the future. Too early to say how it will work out.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I’m more in favor of diversifying your prospect pool with later rounds but you do need to be a bit pragmatic throughout. If you drafted a small(ish), “skill” guy three years in a row you probably shouldn’t draft another. Otherwise you just have a bunch of guys competing for the same spot and you want to give everyone a fair shake, which often leads to the last guy to arrive the raw end of it and that’s bad for their development (this is part of how Yakupov ended up busting). Unless your scouts tell you that you absolutely have to because there’s no way so and so isn’t that much better than anyone else left.

That being said, overdoing it where you really really want a specific archetype and you look at a player not worthy of that draft status but who best fits the archetype is probably the wrong way to go about it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I remember near the time of the draft Pronman said a few teams were still very high on him because of his D-1 season. I guess Minnesota was one of them. Minnesota also had the infamous Filip Johansson pick in 2018. Some teams didn't have him in their top 100 and he ended up going 24th.

Minnesota are polarizing drafters. They always go for big swings. Some big hits like Kaprizov, Boldy, Yurov, Eriksson Ek, and Rossi. Interesting style

Johansson in 2018 and Stramel in 2023 are two completely different management and scouting regimes.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They are both commonly outrageous in a short span of time

Stramel isn't nearly as outrageous as Johansson was, and regardless of that, I'm still not sure what your point is when Johansson was taken with Fenton as the GM and Fletcher's scouting department, and Stramel was taken with Guerin as the GM and Guerin's scouting department. They were SIX drafts apart. It doesn't indicate any kind of trend you think it does.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Is he just going to be another Jim O'Brien type of bust? Or the potential to reinvent himself as a player and become like a Michael McCarron in the Wild (or another team) bottom 6?

Kevzzz

Nov 21, 2023
He's 19, he have time to reinvent himself. I really don't think he can be a top 6 type of player but can find his place on a bottom 6.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Is he just going to be another Jim O'Brien type of bust? Or the potential to reinvent himself as a player and become like a Michael McCarron in the Wild (or another team) bottom 6?
If he improves his defensive game (contrary to what Pavel says, he is not an amazing defensive forward), he will have a lengthy career. Big forwards never go out of style even if they don't score much.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Damn, tough living for this kid. He hasn’t played hockey in like two months and he’s getting slaughtered again in the middle of his offseason.
The old saying goes "you're a loser until you're a winner." He can change the narrative as soon as next year. Until then, he will face some scrutiny fairly and unfairly. Not his fault the Wild took him at least 10-20 spots too high, but he has to take a good portion of blame for not improving/progressing from freshman year (Granato) to sophomore year (Hastings).

Reactions: Blueston

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A question + 2 decently optimistic responses = getting slaughtered?

Crazy.
Dragged/slaughtered/criticized. It's semantics.

I just don't see why people need to rehash the same things that were discussed already. Let's at least wait until there's something new to talk more about him, whether good or bad.

Reactions: Realgud

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm all for giving Stramel the summer off. Maybe even wait 10-15 games into next season before opining on his game.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Interesting that he's staying in the same league. Though if anyone knows his game it's probably Adam Nightingale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad