F Teddy Stiga - USNTDP (2024 Draft)

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Stiga deserves a thread. He's been fantastic to start the season and it's been more than just a couple games now. I'd argue he's been the most improved player from the U17 to U18 seasons.

He has played mostly left wing on the top line with Hagens and Ziemer. With Hagens out of the lineup, he moved to center between Epperson and Ziemer. He has four points in those two games without Hagens.

Stiga has great hockey sense. He plays off Hagens very well and I would imagine that Hagens likes playing with Stiga. He understands what Hagens is trying to accomplish and is able to go to the right areas to take advantage. Stiga is sneaky skilled. He has good hands. He has scored some goals on legit snipes. Good vision. Some good feeds to linemates including to Eiserman yesterday for the game tying goal.

Physical tools are merely average. Listed at 5'10. Decent skater. The size/skating combination is the biggest obstacle at this point.

I do think Stiga will get drafted. Too early to say his range, but he should get some attention if he keeps his play up.

Committed to Boston College.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Stiga deserves a thread. He's been fantastic to start the season and it's been more than just a couple games now. I'd argue he's been the most improved player from the U17 to U18 seasons.

He has played mostly left wing on the top line with Hagens and Ziemer. With Hagens out of the lineup, he moved to center between Epperson and Ziemer. He has four points in those two games without Hagens.

Stiga has great hockey sense. He plays off Hagens very well and I would imagine that Hagens likes playing with Stiga. He understands what Hagens is trying to accomplish and is able to go to the right areas to take advantage. Stiga is sneaky skilled. He has good hands. He has scored some goals on legit snipes. Good vision. Some good feeds to linemates including to Eiserman yesterday for the game tying goal.

Physical tools are merely average. Listed at 5'10. Decent skater. The size/skating combination is the biggest obstacle at this point.

I do think Stiga will get drafted. Too early to say his range, but he should get some attention if he keeps his play up.

Committed to Boston College.

I've always been a fan of his game when he was younger, thought he was really talented but he felt lost on the U17 team last year. He was all over the lineup playing both center and wing on a bunch of different line combinations, then he got hurt and missed all but a couple games the last couple months of the year. There were times last year where you'd see him flash his skill and just think, if only he could be more consistent. It's been great seeing the consistent play out of him this year, I know playing with Hagens helps a ton but he's been really good next to him.

I'd like to see him improve his skating/speed a touch. He's not a bad skater from a technical stride perspective but he needs more jump if he's going to continue to improve. By all accounts, he's an extremely hard worker so we'll see.

I don't think he's a first rounder but I definitely think he could be a 3rd/4th round guy who could move further up if he continues to improve this year

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
1698014603768.jpeg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he was the worst player on the 17's last year.

But obviously its hard not to notice it looks like things are changing for him. I havent seen any of the games this year, but I await to see what's different.

Not saying I can't envision him being a totally new player, but he'd have to be a totally new player for me to believe he's any type of early round pick.

All these NTDP kids would be playing big roles on the other USHL teams, so he obviously he's not bad. Getting selected for this team takes a lot of ability. Maybe he needed the extra year to make it all work.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I thought he was the worst player on the 17's last year.

But obviously its hard not to notice it looks like things are changing for him. I havent seen any of the games this year, but I await to see what's different.

Not saying I can't envision him being a totally new player, but he'd have to be a totally new player for me to believe he's any type of early round pick.

All these NTDP kids would be playing big roles on the other USHL teams, so he obviously he's not bad. Getting selected for this team takes a lot of ability. Maybe he needed the extra year to make it all work.
I think you’re being a little harsh on him from last year but I understand where you’re coming from. He looked hesitant last year, didn’t have much assertiveness and at times looked lost sometimes. I think a lot of that had to do with so many line changes and position changes. That said, he does look like virtually a different player this year. Do I think he’s a 1st or even 2nd rounder right now, no probably not. He is much more assertive, aggressive forechecking, and the skill he showed flashes of last year is really starting to blossom. Playing with Hagens has definitely helped him for sure but he also had 2g, 2a, 4pts in 2 games this weekend while Hagens was out of the lineup, centering a line with Epperson and Ziemer

There was an article interviewing him I’ll try to find about what’s changed from last year to this year and it was an interesting read. He said the injury last year was a blessing in disguise because he was anble to be in the gym every day putting on a lot of muscle coming into this year

I know you said you haven’t watched any games this year but I’d suggest trying to check some out soon, they’re a really fun group to watch

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you’re being a little harsh on him from last year but I understand where you’re coming from. He looked hesitant last year, didn’t have much assertiveness and at times looked lost sometimes. I think a lot of that had to do with so many line changes and position changes. That said, he does look like virtually a different player this year. Do I think he’s a 1st or even 2nd rounder right now, no probably not. He is much more assertive, aggressive forechecking, and the skill he showed flashes of last year is really starting to blossom. Playing with Hagens has definitely helped him for sure but he also had 2g, 2a, 4pts in 2 games this weekend while Hagens was out of the lineup, centering a line with Epperson and Ziemer

There was an article interviewing him I’ll try to find about what’s changed from last year to this year and it was an interesting read. He said the injury last year was a blessing in disguise because he was anble to be in the gym every day putting on a lot of muscle coming into this year

I know you said you haven’t watched any games this year but I’d suggest trying to check some out soon, they’re a really fun group to watch
Yeah, I didn’t mean that as he’s awful. Just that he wasn’t high on my draft radar. Someone has to be the worst on the Canadian Olympic team too. That is still a well above average NHL’er.

I would’ve said the other candidate is Laurila, but I think Laurila skates and competes well and I felt more comfortable about what he’s good at than Stiga. Stiga last season I thought just got lost in the shuffle. Wasn’t sure what his strengths were. I see the box scores from the first month, and clearly he’s taken a jump, so I await to see what’s gone on from one season to the next.

Marshmont63

Jun 22, 2016
The Heights
Where do people see Teddy Stiga going in the draft at this point? He’s been producing at a great rate for the NTDP, but I haven’t seen his name mentioned much in draft circles. I know he’s unlikely to be a 1st rounder, but does he look like a 2nd or 3rd rounder right now? I know playing on a line with Hagens has helped, but even still, there’s no denying that he’s having a hell of a year

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Where do people see Teddy Stiga going in the draft at this point? He’s been producing at a great rate for the NTDP, but I haven’t seen his name mentioned much in draft circles. I know he’s unlikely to be a 1st rounder, but does he look like a 2nd or 3rd rounder right now? I know playing on a line with Hagens has helped, but even still, there’s no denying that he’s having a hell of a year
My guess is he’s a 3rd or 4th rounder at the moment. He needs to improve his stride/straight away speed to take another step. He can create his own offense and has good hockey sense but his speed is his biggest detraction right now. He’s 5’10” so at that size, he needs to improve his speed.

That said, he’s for sure benefited from playing with Hagens but also produced in the 2 games while Hagens was out a month or two ago. He’s got good hockey sense and has a really good knack for finding the soft spot in the zone. He’s also pretty good defensively for his age, isn’t the type to just blow the zone and will be physical in the corners. I could see him climbing to the 2nd or 3rd round but in my mind, it will be improving his straightaway speed. He has pretty good edge work, he’s just not a burner by any means

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Bednarik, Stiga and Ziemer line seemed to have a day. 4 points for Stiga against Switzerland. Good production this year. 68th on the McKenzie Mid-Season List, potential riser with a good U18s?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Bednarik, Stiga and Ziemer line seemed to have a day. 4 points for Stiga against Switzerland. Good production this year. 68th on the McKenzie Mid-Season List, potential riser with a good U18s?
Ya I think he has a big opportunity to jump up draft boards. I know a lot of people have pointed to his jump in production to playing with Hagens but he’s produced all over the lineup this year. He’s also really versatile, he’s played a lot of center and wing. His skating will be his biggest drawback but the offense is becoming pretty tough to ignore

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's improved so much from last year. Most improved player on this team. Last year I had no clue what he was doing at the NTDP.

Now he's legitimately driving play, and is one of the best players on the team. He's a very smart player with good skill. He's not the biggest and the skating needs a little work (better edges than speed, so speed probably needs to improve to reach his potential), but he competes. Plays all situations. Can play center, although I think he's more likely to move off center.

Scoring at a decent rate also. I'm starting to think he's a second rounder. Third round at the latest.

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
He's improved so much from last year. Most improved player on this team. Last year I had no clue what he was doing at the NTDP.

Now he's legitimately driving play, and is one of the best players on the team. He's a very smart player with good skill. He's not the biggest and the skating needs a little work (better edges than speed, so speed probably needs to improve to reach his potential), but he competes. Plays all situations. Can play center, although I think he's more likely to move off center.

Scoring at a decent rate also. I'm starting to think he's a second rounder. Third round at the latest.
I just finished reading all your latest reports on USNTDP players. I like them a lot. Keep up the good work! :thumbu:

Reactions: BKarchitect

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Currently have him in my 1st round actually, and I haven’t seen him there anywhere else yet. It’s a bet on skill I’d make, really confident puck carrier as a C too. Plays fast and skilled.

Reactions: Blueston

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Yes. Others have him as 2nd to 4th rounder though
Some of those rankings are outdated/lagging indicators. They might still be useful for prospects who have been in focus for some time, but I'm not sure they're good facsimiles of the most current NHL draft boards for a prospect like Stiga, who is on a sharply upward trajectory.

Reactions: Blueston

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
You never know with these small guys. They have to really impress scouts just to get drafted in the second round
5’10” is completely acceptable in todays NHL. That should hardly be considered “small”.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
5’10” is completely acceptable in todays NHL. That should hardly be considered “small”.
It's still pretty small and the fact he is a small 5'10" doesn't help. He isn't close to filled out and gets pushed off the puck easily by USHL players. The skill might be good enough to keep him in the second, but he also plays the least valuable position. Think William Whitelaw and Jayden Perron of last draft. Even Riley Heidt went way lower than expected and he's a center. Personally, I would draft Stiga in the early to mid 2nd round myself. I think he has more skill than all of those guys.

Outside of Hagens, Stiga is the most offensively dynamic forward on that USNTDP team by quite a bit. Very high IQ forward that is reliable both offensively and defensively. I think scouts will see he is dynamic enough to go in the second round, but scouts love size in these rounds.

Reactions: Wieters

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
It's still pretty small and the fact he is a small 5'10" doesn't help. He isn't close to filled out and gets pushed off the puck easily by USHL players. The skill might be good enough to keep him in the second, but he also plays the least valuable position. Think William Whitelaw and Jayden Perron of last draft. Even Riley Heidt went way lower than expected and he's a center. Personally, I would draft Stiga in the early to mid 2nd round myself. I think he has more skill than all of those guys.

Outside of Hagens, Stiga is the most offensively dynamic forward on that USNTDP team by quite a bit. Very high IQ forward that is reliable both offensively and defensively. I think scouts will see he is dynamic enough to go in the second round, but scouts love size in these rounds.
He has played games at C too. If a team sees that and thinks there’s potential to develop him there (like I do), he could be a really good bet on skill, speed, and puck carrying ability starting at the backend of the 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad