Value of: Filip Hronek

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
He is stuck on 8mil per. We won't pay him more than Hughes.

What's your teams best offer?

Edit: here's the quote

Dhaliwal: Last I heard the ask by Hronek is not going down. It's strong at 8 mill per season.

@DonnieandDhali

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd offer Burroughs, Benning, or Rutta and the New Jersey 2nd if he's willing to sign here and depending on the term. He may be asking 8 mil of Vancouver but might not ask that of another team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You're thinking he's willing to take less for San Jose?
Probably not but it's possible. Depends on what he's looking for. The Sharks need dramatic upgrades to their right side and Hronek is a guy that's probably worth looking into if he has interest in playing there.

Bond

May 10, 2012
His ask for 8 sure brings down his value. I don't think he is better than Hanifin

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I thought the Hanifin contract was actually a pretty good comparable. Key differences are as follows:

1. Hronek plays the more coveted side on the blueline (RHD).
  2. Hronek is a year younger (almost).
  3. Hronek still has to buy one more year of RFA status where as Hanifin did not.
  4. Hronek isn't quite as good in my opinion, but they are close.
  5. Hanifin didn't get the pleasure of playing with Hughes all season.
With all that in mind, Hronek should be worth about the same on an 8 year deal. If Hronek doesn't see this, I would probably play a bit of hard ball with him.

I wouldn't trade him for less than what we paid... At the end of the day, he's still a good RHD, many teams would jump at the chance of acquiring him.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Eh I’d rather just sign him at his 1 year qualifying offer and trade him at the deadline depending on how the season goes. The Canucks aren’t currently in a position where they absolutely have to either trade him or sign him long term. He’s not a player that should be the 3rd or 4th highest paid player on the team, otherwise our future will look bleak.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Unfortunately people on here aren't going to be able to assess Hronek's value very well for a few reasons.
1. He had an unproductive 2nd half including playoffs (according to most that'll make him entirely useless)
2. He is available (maybe). Which means there must be some reason why you want to get rid of this player. Again makes him worthless on here.
3. His contract is too much. Half the people on HF probably aren't aware the cap will be going up significantly.

The reality is he's a top pairing RD at 26 yrs of age, fresh off a 50 point season. Was it all because of Hughes? some of it sure but he wasn't on the 1st pp for 90% of the yr and was injured the 2nd half. He is worth a lot. He was also on pace for 50 last yr in Detroit too. I think he is better than Hanifin personally just due to what he can do offensively.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Unfortunately people on here aren't going to be able to assess Hronek's value very well for a few reasons.
1. He had an unproductive 2nd half including playoffs (according to most that'll make him entirely useless)
2. He is available (maybe). Which means there must be some reason why you want to get rid of this player. Again makes him worthless on here.
3. His contract is too much. Half the people on HF probably aren't aware the cap will be going up significantly.

The reality is he's a top pairing RD at 26 yrs of age, fresh off a 50 point season. Was it all because of Hughes? some of it sure but he wasn't on the 1st pp for 90% of the yr and was injured the 2nd half. He is worth a lot. He was also on pace for 50 last yr in Detroit too. I think he is better than Hanifin personally just due to what he can do offensively.
This is what people don't understand he isn't a top pairing Dmen he is a really good number 3 that wants to get paid like a top pairing Dmen. Sure he looks like a top pairing Dmen for half a season like he did in Detroit as well. Then that 2nd half happens (we Wings fans tried to tell Van fans and were laughed at) and you see what he really is.

And no he's not better than Hanifin.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
This is what people don't understand he isn't a top pairing Dmen he is a really good number 3 that wants to get paid like a top pairing Dmen. Sure he looks like a top pairing Dmen for half a season like he did in Detroit as well. Then that 2nd half happens (we Wings fans tried to tell Van fans and were laughed at) and you see what he really is.

And no he's not better than Hanifin.
So what is your contention? That he always has a good first half of the yr and bad 2nd half?

He's undoubtedly a top 64 dman in the league. Which would make him top pair. The news in Vancouver is he has been playing through injury for the 2nd half of the season. Curious to hear how that relate to what you are suggestion but fire away.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
He probably should have showed up in the playoffs if he wants 8 million. 6.5-7 would be the most I’d pay for him.

He found himself in a really favorable situation with a partner that worked for him. He should take a minor hometown discount and stick with the Canucks.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I'd offer Burroughs, Benning, or Rutta and the New Jersey 2nd if he's willing to sign here and depending on the term. He may be asking 8 mil of Vancouver but might not ask that of another team.
That's terrible value. Burroughs, Benning and Rutta are cap dumps.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
interested what the price would look like for Caps. We need Carlson replacement in a 2 year window.

Is Jensen attracting piece for Canucks, or TvR as a balancing guy? 2nd + what else?

If its 1st +, propably the timing isnt right.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
So what is your contention? That he always has a good first half of the yr and bad 2nd half?

He's undoubtedly a top 64 dman in the league. Which would make him top pair. The news in Vancouver is he has been playing through injury for the 2nd half of the season. Curious to hear how that relate to what you are suggestion but fire away.
The last 2 years that is exactly what happened. I like Hronek and didn't want Detroit to trade him. But it's clear why Yzerman did, he wants a lot more money then he is worth and isn't consistent throughout the year.

Reactions: wings95

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Eh I’d rather just sign him at his 1 year qualifying offer and trade him at the deadline depending on how the season goes. The Canucks aren’t currently in a position where they absolutely have to either trade him or sign him long term. He’s not a player that should be the 3rd or 4th highest paid player on the team, otherwise our future will look bleak.
Qualifying him doesn't mean you're going to get him at cap hit. He'll likely reject and go to arbitration. So I guess it becomes "being ok to pay him for 1 year vs signing him for a long term contract." If you can replace him you're probably better off trading him now than the deadline. If you can't replace him, I don't think you have a choice but to roll the dice like you said.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It is but Hronek isn’t a player I’m giving good value for with his contract demands relative to his play.
We'd rather just keep him for the year and let him walk then accept that. However if at deadline we were to move him he'd definitely get something of value then that offer.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Offer him term at $7.25 million knowing that the first 2-3 years will be overpaid until the cap increases and subsequent signings afterwards make the contract look good.

Or.

Qualify him at the $7.4 million for a single year his first half stats indicate he should get based on league averages and then trade him to whatever team would be willing to pay him the 8 million he seems to think he'd be worth as a passenger and recoup the asset via youth/picks for him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We'd rather just keep him for the year and let him walk then accept that. However if at deadline we were to move him he'd definitely get something of value then that offer.
He probably would. The Sharks need to get guys on the cheap. Would the cost of Hronek go down if a team was willing to take someone like Mikheyev or Garland off your hands?

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
He probably would. The Sharks need to get guys on the cheap. Would the cost of Hronek go down if a team was willing to take someone like Mikheyev or Garland off your hands?
I'd suggest Garland, no. That team after his playoffs will want to keep him.

$5 million, 50 points and a playoff performer on the positive side of almost every 5v5 metric.

Mikheyev though? Yikes. 5 million for 2 more years. That's a contract that you pay to get rid of for sure

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Garland is extremely important to the team, Mikheyev's "prime" get rid of him level is right now, by the time Hronek is a UFA, Mikheyev will only have one year left on his deal, so I don't know if the value changes that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad