GDT: FIN vs. SUI May 21, 2024

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
The Swiss deserved this victory. A better team with more skilled players. Fiala was a beast and demonstrated why he belongs to the top players of the NHL.

Last edited:

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
I don't know what Granlund was thinking there with that throat chop to the Swiss player but he needs to control his emotions and frustration in a meaningless game. I just don't see this weak Finnish squad beating a strong Swedish team come the Quarterfinals on Thursday.

Reactions: pouf pouf

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I can't see Granlund missing the next game, you need to do way worse than that to get suspended for a game misconduct. Only match penalties carry automatic suspensions.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I don't know what Granlund was thinking there with that throat chop to the Swiss player but he needs to control his emotions and frustration in a meaningless game. I just don't see this weak Finnish squad beating a strong Swedish team come the Quarterfinals on Thursday.
They have the Swedes right where they want them

Kuljeskelen

Jan 2, 2020
Finland
Finland could not match the speed. Well deserved win for Switzerland, despite of them slowing down in the third at first. Finland has usually had good disciplinary control, but now Granlund's retaliation feels alarming. Innala being named the best player of the game after so many turnovers feels also not great.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I can't see Granlund missing the next game, you need to do way worse than that to get suspended for a game misconduct. Only match penalties carry automatic suspensions.
Since I hope that Finland upset Sweden in the QF I could live without a suspension but was the spearing that got Byram a suspension really worse (I did not see that)?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
It's not certain he'll get suspended. Wasn't intentional and his stick rose from the Swiss player's stick to the face. Granlund's reaction told it. Still stupid to start throwing cross checks anyway. I mean Fiala didn't get suspended for the kneeing.
The difference is that Fiala didn‘t try to knee the other player: he went for a legal hit, the Canadian player half dodged it, and Fiala‘s legs can‘t magically disappear, he can‘t put them in a pocket or something.
Granlund here just cross checked Glauser to the throat: hard to construe that as an unlucky moment.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The same old lowering expectations from Finland. Sadly Sweden will walk right into that trap. Sweden got the "worst when it counts" dragon to slay. They better be on their toes to succede.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
The Finns were lucky that Great Britain beat Austria this afternoon. Otherwise, they hadn't even reached the quarterfinal.
Tbh Finland ”should have won” against Austria easily. So we can in similar vein ”conclude” that Finland was ”unlucky” to get into such a ”precarious” situatio to begin with.

Counter-factual speculation at best, anyway.

And anyway, Finland will lose to Sweden. Anyway. That is hardly even speculatiion. Lol.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Tbh Finland ”should have won” against Austria easily. So we can in similar vein ”conclude” that Finland was ”unlucky” to get into such a ”precarious” situatio to begin with.

Counter-factual speculation at best, anyway.

And anyway, Finland will lose to Sweden. Anyway. That is hardly even speculatiion. Lol.
But they didn't. It has nothing to do with bad luck if you lose because you play badly.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The same old lowering expectations from Finland. Sadly Sweden will walk right into that trap. Sweden got the "worst when it counts" dragon to slay. They better be on their toes to succede.
Finland had to rely on Great Britain to make it into the top 4. When you have to rely on Great Britain in hockey, things aren't going well.

There's no lowering expectations here, this team just sucks. If Sweden loses to them, then either Finland has magically become a different team, or Sweden has choked massively.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
They have the Swedes right where they want them
Well, I do not know? This Finnish team can't skate sensibly. It can't create good chances sensibly. If the opponent increases the pressure, then at some point the goal will be scored against Finland. I see 0 reasons why Finland could do anything.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
But they didn't. It has nothing to do with bad luck if you lose because you play badly.
And it had nothing to do with this slippery and elusive entity called ”luck” that Britain beat Austria either. Well, there is a certain, quite significant, degree of randomness involved in sports but usually these things, bumps and bounces, even out and that was the case here also. Finland got through as they ”should have”. No ”luck”. Just probabilities and expectations.

Or then we can say: Finland was as unlucky as Austria in the whimiscal and wanton lottery of bad days/games. Finland was unlucky to get a B game day (thus playing poorly) against Austria and Austria was not luckier in their spiritless showing against Great Britain.

But yeah. Usually we say that we are/were ”lucky” when things go our way despite our own subpar performances. Meaning that the end result is/was nonetheless as wanted even if we were not in control of it any longer due to our less stellar showings. Well, actually we were, Team Finland was, but then went and lost to the Swiss —- in a non-meaningful game for Finland btw). But it is just an incoherent way of putting it. No ”luck” there if no ”unluck” here!
Whatever. :D

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
The curious case of Granny the Cross-Checker.

a) Very/rather uncharacteristic beahviour of him. But hey. it’s hockey and these things happen even for the fair play queen of hearts in the heat of the game. Granny is still eligible to Lady Byng Memorial Trophy. Neutral.

b) Shows commitment and emotional involvement. These games are not just ”nice off-season off kicking holiday days (this time) in Prague for the dude. Positive.

c) Shows critical lack of self-control, emotional volatility and general undiscpline. Strange burst of aggression for a cerebral player not known for sudden violent acts or other impulsive reactions. Maybe the opponent with former team mates (Niederreiter, Josi…) got under his skin and inside his head (”Granny, Granny, Josi ’did’ your gf in a car park!’) - or he just felt the need to show his best and lead Finland to victory and as it was becoming more and more obviois that was not gonna happen - he flipped. Negative.

So, we have three observations: One neutral, one positive and one negative.

They cancel each other and we will return to the square one which is thus neutral.

Conclusion: Granny may not be a suitable young man nor an all-seen veteran to fit into the taxing and demanding role of a team captain. For that he should score a strong positive rating in our quick test for leadership qualities.

Yet a ’neutral’ score should indicate that a suspension should not be a serious option either. It was a blunder but a neutral one in its intentions and emotional content.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Finland had to rely on Great Britain to make it into the top 4. When you have to rely on Great Britain in hockey, things aren't going well.

There's no lowering expectations here, this team just sucks. If Sweden loses to them, then either Finland has magically become a different team, or Sweden has choked massively.
That is what i expect. Feels like that happens to many times. I realy belive it will be a extremly close game. Finland will use all the sisu they can find, and more times then not, that leads to a medal of some sort. As a Swede i never ever expect to win against Finland. There might be some cocky media or fan here and there, but 90+% of Swedes never take a win against Finland for granted. I hope for the best game this far.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
That is what i expect. Feels like that happens to many times. I realy belive it will be a extremly close game. Finland will use all the sisu they can find, and more times then not, that leads to a medal of some sort. As a Swede i never ever expect to win against Finland. There might be some cocky media or fan here and there, but 90+% of Swedes never take a win against Finland for granted. I hope for the best game this far.

I've watched our team perform for many years, and I know that they tend to step it up in big games, even with a mediocre roster. But this time I genuinely feel that this team just sucks. The coaches seem to have so much faith in their "system" that they believed picking any half-ass hockey player will do, without paying much attention to chemistry on the ice.

If I'm wrong, and they put up a hell of a game against Sweden, I'll freely admit to being a hater. But that's just how I feel based on what I've seen so far.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

He's lucky he didn't kill him. I know that sounds dramatic but that could've ended awful. FTR.. I don't think that was his intention in anyway, probably missed his chest or shoulders. Curious if he gets suspended.

Also, Congrats Swiss on the win.

Reactions: pouf pouf

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Screenshot_20240522_041514_Chrome.jpg

This explains a bit, did we get Makke instead of Mikke? :D

• Haha
Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad