Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You're selling Chychrun very low.

The list of teams that have room for a LD on their top 2 pairings, have an open spot on the powerplay and have the cap space to fit Chychrun in is very low.

Plus we're in a similar situation as we were last summer with DeBrincat, where Chychrun has some leverage to pick his destination as an UFA after next season.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
What would happen if some team or teams made us an offer on Sanderson that was too good to refuse?

Not possible.

There's very few assets in the league as valuable as Sanderson is to the Senators. You're not trading him unless there's a better asset coming back because quantity for quality is dumb if you're not backed into a corner with a player.

Reactions: Icelevel

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Tanev...34 yrs old, has played 82 games once, rarely plays over 60. I get it, he's a warrior. But his next contract will age horribly and quickly (and he won't be taking a 2 yr deal).

Staios needs to target younger RD and attempt to aquire them in a trade. Chychrun for Andersson (before July 1st when his M-NTC kicks in), pick(s) to Tampa for Darren Raddysh (the Lightning don't pick until the 5th round this year).

Sanderson - Andersson
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Raddysh
Hamonic/JBD

It's not sexy, but it's better and more balanced and gives the team 3 pairings that can make an outlet pass and take some heat off Korpi (unless he gets dealt to LAK for PLD...ugh 🤢).
Assuming you are talking about Rasmus Andersson from Calgary, why does Calgary want to trade him?

I’ve seen his name pop up before in other trade proposals and asked the same question, but have never seen a response.

Is there anything to suggest Calgary wants to do this, or is this just kind of fantasy scenario where people are targeting a player they’d like to get?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
What would happen if some team or teams made us an offer on Sanderson that was too good to refuse?

I wonder what teams would be interested and what players would we get back in that trade?

Out of Chabot, Chychrun and Sanderson, Sanderson would be the most sought after by other teams.

None of our D can play the role that Sanderson plays as the anchor of a shutdown D pair.

On the ice, Sanderson might be our most valuable player. He is the prototype for a modern #1 D.

I can't see a trade that makes sense to move Sanderson.

On top of that he has only been here 2 years. Similar to Pinto or Greig, there is some value in having future core pieces who haven't been tainted by losing for close to a decade like a Chabot type has been.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
What would qualify as "can't refuse" for Sanderson?

I'd turn down almost anything. Three 1sts? No thanks, we need to stop sucking yesterday. Marner? No thanks, we can't suck more defensively. Hedman? I'll keep the younger asset since we are basically back to rebuilding (just not from scratch).

It is a fair question, I don't mean to belittle it. It is just, I don't think anyone could make a realistic "can't refuse" offer for Sanderson. Even the 1st overall I would have to think about; that one I'd probably do but I wouldn't immediately say yes.

Can't refuse is like McDavid, Matthews, or Bedard are made available.

Or Makar with term.

Those kind of trades that absolutely won't happen. There is no reason to trade him.

I could see us trading Stutzle before we trade Sanderson. Sanderson is an untouchable franchise cornerstone.

The only two true untouchables that I think we have are Sanderson and Brady. I can't elaborate on what untouchable means with Brady because I've met my quota for the day when it comes to speculating about his NMC, but I think in perfect world terms where no outside forces conspire to get him out of Ottawa, he is our other untouchable.

The only thing with Stutzle is that I don't like his body language on the ice when things go bad and I once saw an interview with an LA Kings scout who said he only had secondary leadership characteristics, I also don't like how into shoes young men are these days, it's weird. So he is just below untouchable.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
What everyone seems to forget about Silovs is that he played absolutely out of his mind for Latvia at the 2023 Worlds, helping Latvia earn their first ever bronze medal in IIHF history. (And set off a days long drunken party in the streets of his home country.) It's not like he came completely without credentials. Sneaky good pick for the Canucks...
Silvos was also the MVP of the 2023 Worlds IIRC. The Canuck have a good goaltending situation.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Assuming you are talking about Rasmus Andersson from Calgary, why does Calgary want to trade him?

I’ve seen his name pop up before in other trade proposals and asked the same question, but have never seen a response.

Is there anything to suggest Calgary wants to do this, or is this just kind of fantasy scenario where people are targeting a player they’d like to get?
Well I don’t know that they want to trade him, but I don’t think it’s impossible.

He’s almost 28 and has two years left on his deal. So Calgary might be concerned that first of all, he will pull a Hanifin and won’t want to stay. That would put him in a position to pick his destination next summer, which would lower the return. They could also be concerned that even if he does want to extend, the new deal would start at the age of 30 and they’ve already got quite a few aging vets on the books there. For a team that’s retooling and already has Weegar, he might not fit their timeline.

That being said, they’re not trading him for Chychrun if they do decide to move him.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Calgary should trade Andersson, but they don't do anything right so they probably won't.

Their owner's meddling is Melnyk-esque. Doesn't want the team to rebuild and now they are in no-man's land.

Also is refusing to let them take on dead cap for assets. They could have got a 1st for Tanev if they took on Johansen from Colorado, and apparently could have gotten a haul from NJ for Markstrom at the deadline, but they refused to retain money.

Andersson is a stretch but I wonder if we go after Markstrom this summer. He's 34 and is not a long-term solution in net, but he'd be an obvious improvement on Korpisalo/Forsberg. Has a NMC but may only want to play out East, which limits his destinations. Played for Green in Vancouver and did well under him. Might cost too much in assets and cap though.

Reactions: bicboi64

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well I don’t know that they want to trade him, but I don’t think it’s impossible.

He’s almost 28 and has two years left on his deal. So Calgary might be concerned that first of all, he will pull a Hanifin and won’t want to stay. That would put him in a position to pick his destination next summer, which would lower the return. They could also be concerned that even if he does want to extend, the new deal would start at the age of 30 and they’ve already got quite a few aging vets on the books there. For a team that’s retooling and already has Weegar, he might not fit their timeline.

That being said, they’re not trading him for Chychrun if they do decide to move him.
If I understand CapFriendly correctly, his 6 team no trade list in 2024-25 doesn’t seem particularly onerous. Calgary could still move him in the last year at the deadline when a lot of players move.

Good RDs are still able to play and are valuable at age 30 as well.

I guess anything is possible but I’m not seeing anything that is particularly compelling. I guess the idea is that Calgary is rebuilding so everyone that’s movable must go. But, they still have to ice a team in the meantime.

You are right, If I’m the GM moving Andersson and hurting the product that Calgary puts on the ice, it would have to be a really good return, and Chychrun wouldn’t cut it imho. Otherwise, I’d think that would be a career limiting move on the GMs part.

I’m guessing the proposal is based on spotting a good RD on another team and not a whole lot of thought about the other team's needs.

Last edited:

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If I understand CapFriendly correctly, his 6 team no trade list in 2024-25 doesn’t seem particularly onerous. Calgary could still move him in the last year at the deadline when a lot of players move.

Good RDs are still able to play and are valuable at age 30 as well.

I guess anything is possible but I’m not seeing anything that is particularly compelling. You are right, If I’m moving Andersson and hurting the product I put on the ice, it would have to be a really good return, and Chychrun wouldn’t cut it imho. Otherwise, I’d think that would be a career limiting move on the GMs part.

I’m guessing the proposal is based on spotting a good RD on another team and not a whole lot of thought about the other team's needs.
It’s not so much about the NTC as it is that he can pick teams he’s willing to extend with which limits the market. That’s what Hanifin did.

And you can definitely be a good RD at 30, but I’m not sure having two aging RDs in your top 4 is a recipe for success which is what the case would be for Andersson/Weegar when Calgary is going for it.

I think he’s a logical trade target and Calgary would at the very least listen. But yeah, we don’t have the assets for him so really kind of irrelevant from our perspective.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Thanks. Looks like an article on 3 different goalies wings could target.

Not sure if Ottawa is the landing spot for a Vezina goalie. And the commitment $$ from Staois would be huge and he’s been playing in front of the team that I think has allowed the least amount of slot chances the last 2 years. Ulmark might not look as good behind the Ottawa d. I’d go for shorter term guy like Markstrom

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Those weren't trade rumors.

Hockey Writers isn't a professional publication. It's no different than writing a post on HFBoards. It's by volunteer fan writers.

There have been rumors via Spitting Chiclets about a possible Brady trade, but they are hardly an A+ source.

There have been no rumors via any top insiders. Friedman has said something like another losing season has tested the relationships in Ottawa even further. But that is the closest we heard, and it's just vague obvious stuff.

I personally believe Brady is gone within a year if we do not win. No player, let alone a Tkachuk is going to stay after 8+ years of losing and chaos with no end in sight. His NMC kicks in on July 1st 2025. That is leverage to get a trade before that time because if he decides he wants out, the Senators won't want to tell him "wait and see how the 2025 season goes" because they would lose all trade leverage if he can choose his destination.

The only way I see him moved this off season is if he has already asked out or hinted he would be open to a move and they get an incredible offer that they cannot refuse. Otherwise, I doubt he is moved this off season.
This management team took over in September. This really seems to be something everyone around here doesnt acknowledge.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
This management team took over in September. This really seems to be something everyone around here doesnt acknowledge.
It doesn’t change how long Brady has been losing for.

I don’t think he’d ask for a trade because he has no faith in management, rather that he will emotionally check out. His frustration this season was palpable, I don’t know that he has much losing left in him before he decides he just needs a change.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I agree.

I'm more getting at that if we fail to make the playoffs again, and I was one of the veterans, it would be clear to me that staying means being patient.

I don't think players who have lost for 8+ years are going to be willing to be patient in that scenario if they have the leverage to go somewhere else that appears closer to contending.

That's not really a commentary on what has or hasn't been done by the new ownership. I think they were put into a tough position, especially taking the team without an off-season, while we have some nice pieces I think we are farther away than fixing this in one off-season. If that's true, it wouldn't be absurd to expect some players to not want to wait.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I wanna trade some magic beans for a depth rhd. Anyone take these deals?

#25 for #43 + Jokiharju (RFA)

#39 for Nick Jensen (2 years remaining)

#39 for TVR (2 years remaining) + 2024 4th round pick

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
He isn't that type of risk taker. This will be methodical. People expecting massive sweeping changes are gonna be djssapointed.

This fantasy sounds amazing. Chychrun for Anderson.. come on man.
Bert, it's a starting point in a conversation, not a definitive offer! Come on, man.

Anderson is likely to be very much on the tail end of his effectiveness before Calgary is competitive again and Weegar is already locked up with term - very plausible him being moved (for Chychrun alone? Not likely, but as i expressed - starting point).

There have been several articles suggesting that Andersson is a moveable pieces - but I cannot speak to the veracity of those publishing them.

Nothing that I would call "vetted" suggesting he should or will be moved, but I have seen Calgary fans expressing an openness to moving him (and many others expressing no desire to see it happen). So for me, more of the latter I think - I'm suggesting that Andersson is the type I'd like to see Staios target as opposed to Tanev.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It doesn’t change how long Brady has been losing for.

I don’t think he’d ask for a trade because he has no faith in management, rather that he will emotionally check out. His frustration this season was palpable, I don’t know that he has much losing left in him before he decides he just needs a change.

Yeah a new owner and management group doesn't re-set the clock.

Plus he just watched his brother escape a small market Canadian team for sunny no-tax Florida and immediately make it to the SCF and ECF in back-to-back years.

Grass is probably looking pretty green down south right now in Brady's eyes, but obviously if the team rebounds in 24/25 this changes things.

Reactions: PlayOn

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Bert, it's a starting point in a conversation, not a definitive offer! Come on, man.

Anderson is likely to be very much on the tail end of his effectiveness before Calgary is competitive again and Weegar is already locked up with term - very plausible him being moved (for Chychrun alone? Not likely, but as i expressed - starting point).

There have been several articles suggesting that Andersson is a moveable pieces - but I cannot speak to the veracity of those publishing them.

Nothing that I would call "vetted" suggesting he should or will be moved, but I have seen Calgary fans expressing an openness to moving him (and many others expressing no desire to see it happen). So for me, more of the latter I think - I'm suggesting that Andersson is the type I'd like to see Staios target as opposed to Tanev.
I was just wondering if there was anything coming from the Calgary organization that I missed.

I guess the idea is that Calgary is rebuilding so all players that are moveable (trade worthy) must go. I don’t think all rebuilds work like that. But, it's more likely that I just need to be more patient and less cynical and just watch things unfold versus getting too involved in debate.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not sure if Ottawa is the landing spot for a Vezina goalie. And the commitment $$ from Staois would be huge and he’s been playing in front of the team that I think has allowed the least amount of slot chances the last 2 years. Ulmark might not look as good behind the Ottawa d. I’d go for shorter term guy like Markstrom
I think it's the other way around, Capfreindly has Ullmark with one yr left on his contract & Markstrom has 2 yrs left, both contracts are not very long really. Ullmark is at $5 mil on his contract & Markstrom is at $6 mil while Korpisalo is at $4 mil with 4 yrs left. Could also come down to how much cap space they have if they intent to increase the cost for goalies, they may want to reduce it further.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I was just wondering if there was anything coming from the Calgary organization that I missed.

I guess the idea is that Calgary is rebuilding so all players that are moveable (trade worthy) must go. I don’t think all rebuilds work like that. But, it's more likely that I just need to be more patient and less cynical and just watch things unfold versus getting too involved in debate.
I think given the state of the Flames organization, both Weegar and Andersson could be pried out of there, but since they aren't expiring immediately and they aren't completely scorching things to the ground Melnyk style, there is no pressure to move them now.

If/when they do go, I think they will be in very high demand and command a very high price. To the point that Chychrun would be more of a throw in imo, even with an extension.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
we had last year's (March 2024) TDL. No move.

1 month since end of season, no move

If you think Chyc gets you a large haul, why hasn't he moved?

You capitalize on a deal once you have analyzed all possibilities.
Staois was most likely just getting feelers during the deadline, plus they likely discussed the possibility of extending him.
The best time to deal Chychrun, if that's the plan, would be from now to the deadline.

The list of teams that have room for a LD on their top 2 pairings, have an open spot on the powerplay and have the cap space to fit Chychrun in is very low.

Plus we're in a similar situation as we were last summer with DeBrincat, where Chychrun has some leverage to pick his destination as an UFA after next season.

No team is going to scoff at adding a top-2/3 D for 4.5M for one season, even if they can't work out an extension.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think given the state of the Flames organization, both Weegar and Andersson could be pried out of there, but since they aren't expiring immediately and they aren't completely scorching things to the ground Melnyk style, there is no pressure to move them now.

If/when they do go, I think they will be in very high demand and command a very high price. To the point that Chychrun would be more of a throw in imo, even with an extension.
I guess the basic idea that folks have is that Calgary is rebuilding so every player that is trade worthy must go. I’m not nostradamus or a clairvoyant, so who am I to say how this will go down. There’s many ways this could unfold I suppose.

I doubt if Chychrun would be sufficient to get this done as well.

Expectations are high and I think it's going to be a wild ride in here until the season starts. Its time to be patient and to resist cynicism I suppose.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I guess the basic idea that folks have is that Calgary is rebuilding so every player that is trade worthy must go. I’m not nostradamus or a clairvoyant, so who am I to say how this will go down. There’s many ways this could unfold I suppose.

I doubt if Chychrun would be sufficient to get this done as well.

Expectations are high and I think it's going to be a wild ride in here until the season starts. Its time to be patient and to resist cynicism I suppose.
I've paid a lot of attention to that team, including watching end of year pressers and what not. I don't think people are paying attention if they think that rebuild is gonna be like the one in Ottawa. They have a timeline of contracts expiring over a series of years, and they aren't gonna move them all at once. Ownership there wants to be competitive to a certain extent. It's just not gonna be a scorched earth trade everybody in one small window type thing imo, it's going to happen over the next couple years as different guys approach expiry or high prices are paid to pry them out earlier.

There's certainly nothing to suggest there's any urgency to move either of those guys, and there will be lots of competition if they do.

I posted an extended Chychrun + as a based for either on the main boards and was laughed out of the building. It's just not in the ballpark of what they need and clearly his value is not high. He's basically a throw in for other either of those guys imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad