Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XIX

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Figured I'd share a few year-end thoughts on a handful prospects now that the season has concluded:

-- Merkulov: IMO he doesn't have much left to prove in the AHL. Sure, he could get stronger defensively and away from the puck but he's shown he can put the puck in the net at a high level. The biggest question is where does he fit in? He played a lot of center but I just don't see him getting a top 6 center role with Boston anytime soon. Perhaps he could stick on the wing if DeBrusk leaves? If the B's aren't going to find a spot in the lineup for him, then I hope they trade him while his value is at its peak.

-- Lysell: his game still needs some polish but I thought he made some good strides to improve the areas of his game that needed improvement (being stronger on the puck, reducing turnovers, not taking dumb penalties). Add that to his offensive game improving as well and I'd say he's close to being ready for the NHL. He would add dimensions that Boston seriously lacks (speed & skill). Similar to Merkulov, the question is where will he fit in the lineup?

-- Farinacci: he was arguably Providence's best player over the first month+ of the season and it looked like he could be close to earning a callup. But his game seemed to fall off a cliff about halfway through the season. He went 23 games between goals before scoring in the playoff finale. His defensive game seems solid but it remains to be seen if he'll get his offensive mojo back or we have another McLaughlin on our hands.

-- McLaughlin: speaking of which, he was one of the biggest disappointments for me this year. He showed a lot of promise when he first joined Boston and the subsequent preseason but it seems like his game has gone downhill ever since. He is still a decent bottom 6 guy to have on your team and he probably could play on a 4th line in the NHL but his early offensive production seems to have been a flash in the pan.

-- Kuntar: like Farinacci, he started the year really strong and then tailed off as the year went on. It probably didn't help that he was often skating on the 4th line with less-than-great linemates -- but at least when he wasn't producing he was still noticeable on the ice with his physicality and getting under the opponent's skin. He would occasionally go overboard and take some dumb penalties but hopefully he can find the right balance as he continues to develop. I'll be interested in seeing how he does next year especially if he gets more ice time further up the lineup.

-- Callahan: he has his moments but overall he just doesn't do much for me. If you're gonna be a guy who is "OK at everything, great at nothing" then you have to be as steady as they come -- and unfortunately he made way too many errors for my liking. He reminds me of Renouf in that he's at his best when you don't notice him -- except Renouf is better at avoiding f ups. Maybe he can still develop some consistency but at this point I'd be surprised if he ever becomes a NHL regular.

-- Harrison: pretty much everyone said he was rough around the edges going into the year and that was certainly the case. He had a solid stretch after the new year when he strung together a few solid games (which happened to be when he played on higher lines) but he finished the season just as raw and inconsistent as he started it IMO. I don't know if it was a confidence/nerves thing but he must've led the team in puck flubs/whiffs. For a guy who showed decent hands and a lethal shot in the OHL, it was disappointing to not see that come thru in the AHL. I do wonder if he could have used some time in the ECHL to gain some confidence. It's worth noting that he was the second youngest player on the team (behind Brunet) so I'm not writing him off yet -- but next year will be a big one to see if he can take the next step and become a regular contributor at the AHL level.

-- Brunet: he was one of the biggest surprises for me this season. There have been plenty of offensive d-men who have lit up the QMJHL and couldn't cut it in the AHL -- but Brunet looks like he has legit potential to be a NHLer. He still needs to get stronger and faster and cut down a bit on turnovers but he is so smooth and smart with the puck on his stick.

-- Duran: small sample size but between his disappointing season at PC and him looking a bit out of his league initially, I didn't have high hopes for him doing much this season. Once he was paired with Brown and Steen though, he looked like a different player. He was quick and made smart plays with the puck. He had a few games where he was arguably their best player. He'll need to play that way for more than 15 games but I was encouraged by the start to his pro career.

-- Bussi: statistically this was his worst season but he was still really good. He had a few more duds this season but when he was on his game, he was lights out (and still made regular highlight reel saves). I don't understand why Monty didn't give him a few games in Boston just to see how he did. Can they really just hand him the backup spot next year without any idea how he'll do in the NHL (assuming they trade Ullmark)? It wouldn't surprise me if Boston signed a vet backup and let him and Bussi duke it out for a roster spot in September. Otherwise, the Bruins should consider trading him (like they did with Vladar) if a team offers something of value.

-- DiPietro: there were stretches where he outplayed Bussi -- but as the season went along, his game tailed off. He still had a good season though...I think he still has potential and is worth keeping around but the Providence crease could be crowded depending on what happens with Bussi, Dyck, and Bischel (Keyser I assume is a goner).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad