Value of: Goaltender Tarasov, emergence Jet Greaves (Columbus)

inxs

Jun 13, 2011
With the emergence of Jet Greaves being the best goaltender in the AHL. What would be the value of the goalkeepers Tarasov remaining 1 year on his contract or Elvis Merzlikins who is probably unchangeable given his contract.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Highly unlikely Tarasov is going anywhere. He looked phenomenal to end the season. Can't speak for all CBJ fans, but I think we'd rather buyout/bury Elvis (who just had an abysmal international performance) and rock Tarasov Greaves.

The more likely scenario is we'll rock with Tarasov and Elvis again and let Greaves get another season in the AHL

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
With the emergence of Jet Greaves being the best goaltender in the AHL. What would be the value of the goalkeepers Tarasov remaining 1 year on his contract or Elvis Merzlikins who is probably unchangeable given his contract.
Greaves isn't a top 10 AHL goalie, and I like the guy.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Some stats from hockeydb for context:

1716345161535.png

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I mean he’s not off limits by any means but I don’t see how teams would view Tarasov with much value.

Injury prone and very inconsistent. High upside? Sure. But he’s looked barely NHL quality at points.

Jackets will probably try to pawn off Elvis (not happening) and if there’s no takers they’ll buy him out. Tarasov-Greaves could be the tandem next year.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
This is just my speculation but. You can convince Detroit to take Merzlikins in exchange for Husso in a bigger deal. So long as you also take a bad contract back to counter-balance Merzlikins.

Merzlikins = overpaid 3 year contract
Husso = 1 year contract, "fine" stopgap player at fair price

You need to take Chiarot or Holl back in the deal (2y contract overpaid guys). Both have 10 team lists of teams they can't be traded to. Hopefully one of them left CBJ off the list. Chiarot is bigger cap hit but I suppose either works. If you won't take Chiarot or Holl, then there's no chance that Detroit agrees to this. There needs to be a bad overpaid contract with multiple years going in each direction.

Columbus sends a 1 or 2 year contract stop-gap D back to Detroit to counter-balance the 1 year stop-gap Husso contract. Goalie for goalie and D for D trade, but it's also a bad contract + stopgap for bad contract + stopgap trade.

to Detroit Red Wings
Merzlikins (3 year overpaid GK)
either Provorov (1 year D) or Boqvist (1 year RFA D)
Columbus is maybe adding pick(s)/prospect(s) too

to Columbus Blue Jackets
Husso (1 year GK)
Chiarot / Holl (2 year overpaid D)

Detroit needs a spot for Cossa by 2025 probably but DEFINITELY by 2026 (waivers). Columbus needs a spot for Greaves DEFINITELY by 2025 (waivers). This accomplishes all of that.

24/25 season
CBJ - Husso Tarasov (Greaves callup)
DET - Merzlikins Lyon (Cossa callup)

25/26 season
CBJ - Tarasov Greaves
DET - Merzlikins (Cossa or 1y stopgap with Cossa callup)

26/27 season
CBJ - Tarasov Greaves
DET - Merzlikins Cossa (I assume Cossa will be starter)

27/28 season
not sure how things will look but Merzlikins is UFA in 2027

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I don't think Columbus are moving Tarasov. Merzlikins is getting moved (either via buyout or trade) and then they will roll Tarasov, some veteran goalie (Husso could work) and Greaves splitting his time between the AHL and NHL.

This is just my speculation but. You can convince Detroit to take Merzlikins in exchange for Husso in a bigger deal. So long as you also take a bad contract back to counter-balance Merzlikins.

Merzlikins = overpaid 3 year contract
Husso = 1 year contract, "fine" stopgap player at fair price

You need to take Chiarot or Holl back in the deal (2y contract overpaid guys). Both have 10 team lists of teams they can't be traded to. Hopefully one of them left CBJ off the list. Chiarot is bigger cap hit but I suppose either works. If you won't take Chiarot or Holl, then there's no chance that Detroit agrees to this. There needs to be a bad overpaid contract with multiple years going in each direction.

Columbus sends a 1 or 2 year contract stop-gap D back to Detroit to counter-balance the 1 year stop-gap Husso contract. Goalie for goalie and D for D trade, but it's also a bad contract + stopgap for bad contract + stopgap trade.

to Detroit Red Wings
Merzlikins (3 year overpaid GK)
either Provorov (1 year D) or Boqvist (1 year RFA D)
Columbus is maybe adding pick(s)/prospect(s) too

to Columbus Blue Jackets
Husso (1 year GK)
Chiarot / Holl (2 year overpaid D)

Detroit needs a spot for Cossa by 2025 probably but DEFINITELY by 2026 (waivers). Columbus needs a spot for Greaves DEFINITELY by 2025 (waivers). This accomplishes all of that.

24/25 season
CBJ - Husso Tarasov (Greaves callup)
DET - Merzlikins Lyon (Cossa callup)

25/26 season
CBJ - Tarasov Greaves
DET - Merzlikins (Cossa or 1y stopgap with Cossa callup)

26/27 season
CBJ - Tarasov Greaves
DET - Merzlikins Cossa (I assume Cossa will be starter)

27/28 season
not sure how things will look but Merzlikins is UFA in 2027
Columbus could probably sweeten that deal for Detroit by retaining on Merzlikins instead of taking a bad contract.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Columbus could probably sweeten that deal for Detroit by retaining on Merzlikins instead of taking a bad contract.
Most importantly though, Columbus need to find a team where they can find SOME sort of framework where trading Merzlikins becomes even remotely possible. I think with Detroit, there's actually something there that they can work with.

I don't think Detroit has interest unless you take Chiarot or Holl. They just hang up on you. "Columbus needs to move Merzlikins" isn't their problem to worry about.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jackets can just run Greaves + Tarasov next year and see how that goes. Maybe they get a cheap veteran and run three.

I would be surprised if Elvis is kept on board - he should either be dumped or bought out.

Most importantly though, Columbus need to find a team where they can find SOME sort of framework where trading Merzlikins becomes even remotely possible. I think with Detroit, there's actually something there that they can work with.

I don't think Detroit has interest unless you take Chiarot or Holl. They just hang up on you. "Columbus needs to move Merzlikins" isn't their problem to worry about.

You still have to offer Columbus something that is better than buying out Elvis.

I look at that offer and I think it's worse than a buyout.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
You still have to offer Columbus something that is better than buying out Elvis.

I look at that offer and I think it's worse than a buyout.
Merzlikins + Boqvist + 5th / 6th / 7th round pick
for
Husso + Holl

only adds $0.15m in cap hit to Columbus, and Husso expires after 1 year. You're changing your "until 2027" bad contract into an "until 2026" bad contract, whereas a buyout creates dead cap until 2030. Husso can also be traded at the deadline as UFA rental to a playoff team as a backup, so you can get your draft pick back or maybe even upgrade it. I don't think it makes Columbus notably better or worse on the ice either, unless you're expecting Boqvist to finally break out in his 7th post-draft season.

All in all, respectfully, I'll have to disagree that it's worse than a buyout. I also think it makes more sense in the context of "Columbus has a new GM and is now going to try going in a different direction, so sending old players out and bringing new players in is generally speaking a good thing at a time like this".

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Merzlikins + Boqvist + 5th / 6th / 7th round pick
for
Husso + Holl

only adds $0.15m in cap hit to Columbus, and Husso expires after 1 year. You're changing your "until 2027" bad contract into an "until 2026" bad contract, whereas a buyout creates dead cap until 2030. Husso can also be traded at the deadline as UFA rental to a playoff team as a backup, so you can get your draft pick back or maybe even upgrade it. I don't think it makes Columbus notably better or worse on the ice either, unless you're expecting Boqvist to finally break out in his 7th post-draft season.

All in all, respectfully, I'll have to disagree that it's worse than a buyout. I also think it makes more sense in the context of "Columbus has a new GM and is now going to try going in a different direction, so sending old players out and bringing new players in is generally speaking a good thing at a time like this".
If Columbus are moving out Boqvist, it's because they too many RD as is and need to make room for Jiricek. If they are bringing in Holl, that doesn't solve their issue. Just like "Merzlikins needs to go" isn't Detroit's problem, "Holl needs to go" isn't Columbus'. There is more to this than just dumping cap.

Merzlikins with some retention for Husso makes sense for both sides. Adding Holl or Chiarot to the deal doesn't for Columbus.

Reactions: majormajor

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Merzlikins with some retention for Husso makes sense for both sides.
No it absolutely does not.

Detroit wants a goalie upgrade. Cossa is probably the answer, but he's 1 or 2 years away from being a full-time NHLer, and even then, he might not be ready to be a starter right away. Husso is a fairly moveable contract. Detroit could target Markstrom, Saros, Gustavsson or Gibson for Husso plus. The team recieving Husso has 1 year and then UFA, easy.

Adding Merzlikins is a gamble in that he might be bad, and DET has no decent goalie to get them into the playoffs. Plan A would be Merzlikins and Lyon, plan B would be to try out Cossa, and plan C would be to move Lyon + a forward/D + pick/prospect stuff to try to bring in a goalie mid-season, which could be challenging. They could avoid this whole scenario by just not bringing Merzlikins in and sticking with Husso. Or like I mentioned, they could move Husso plus for a better goalie.

So no, swapping out Husso for Merzlikins, even with retention, doesn't work for DET and their plans to get back into the playoffs, unless they're also benefitting from it in some other way. Go call the other 30 teams and try to find a better fit, and when you don't, DET will still be here to maybe do a Chiarot/Holl swap.

EDIT
Take the LHD if that makes more sense, but his cap hit is bigger and he's a worse player.

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Gudbranson
Chiarot - Jiricek

I would personally take the RHD that's better and with lower cap hit and just make him the press box guy for 2 years if he can't learn to play his off-side. Ideal? No. You're trying to move a goalie that makes over 5 million for 3 years that nobody wants though, so "ideal" isn't an option.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: squashmaple

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Tarasov is the one goaltender who for sure will be in Columbus next season. Elvis might get moved or bought out (or return). Greaves could be in Cleveland or be the backup. In either case, it doesn't make sense to even consider Daniil's trade value. He is the closest thing to an "answer in net" currently in the CBJ system. (Which I admit isn't saying much.)

Reactions: Fro

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I don't think Elvis is untradeable.

I think he's a decent goalie on a very VERY bad team, I don't think his value is high, but I do think he could be a steal for somebody

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No it absolutely does not.

Detroit wants a goalie upgrade. Cossa is probably the answer, but he's 1 or 2 years away from being a full-time NHLer, and even then, he might not be ready to be a starter right away. Husso is a fairly moveable contract. Detroit could target Markstrom, Saros, Gustavsson or Gibson for Husso plus. The team recieving Husso has 1 year and then UFA, easy.

Adding Merzlikins is a gamble in that he might be bad, and DET has no decent goalie to get them into the playoffs. Plan A would be Merzlikins and Lyon, plan B would be to try out Cossa, and plan C would be to move Lyon + a forward/D + pick/prospect stuff to try to bring in a goalie mid-season, which could be challenging. They could avoid this whole scenario by just not bringing Merzlikins in and sticking with Husso. Or like I mentioned, they could move Husso plus for a better goalie.

So no, swapping out Husso for Merzlikins, even with retention, doesn't work for DET and their plans to get back into the playoffs, unless they're also benefitting from it in some other way. Go call the other 30 teams and try to find a better fit, and when you don't, DET will still be here to maybe do a Chiarot/Holl swap.

EDIT
Take the LHD if that makes more sense, but his cap hit is bigger and he's a worse player.

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Gudbranson
Chiarot - Jiricek

I would personally take the RHD that's better and with lower cap hit and just make him the press box guy for 2 years if he can't learn to play his off-side. Ideal? No. You're trying to move a goalie that makes over 5 million for 3 years that nobody wants though, so "ideal" isn't an option.
It's great how you see why deals don't work for your team. You should apply the same logic to the other team. CBJ isn't under a cap crunch and thus has no real reason to deal Elvis this year. They can run with Elvis this year instead of Husso and not give up picks, not take on Holl or Chiarot and not give up Boqvist (though I can see them dealing him in some other move).

In this case THEY take the gamble that Elvis looks better this year and then try to move him, keep him or buy him out in 2025. The dead cap if they wait until then isn't that bad. There's no real incentive for them to make this deal.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
It's great how you see why deals don't work for your team. You should apply the same logic to the other team. CBJ isn't under a cap crunch and thus has no real reason to deal Elvis this year. They can run with Elvis this year instead of Husso and not give up picks, not take on Holl or Chiarot and not give up Boqvist (though I can see them dealing him in some other move).

In this case THEY take the gamble that Elvis looks better this year and then try to move him, keep him or buy him out in 2025. The dead cap if they wait until then isn't that bad. There's no real incentive for them to make this deal.
I was under the impression that Elvis might be a locker room issue? Something about how Brad Larsen almost jumped across the table and killed him a couple of times (in the words of Merzlikins)? Also he requested a trade. Also the team is trying to start moving in a different direction, and moving on from players that don't want to be there would be part of that. But yes, that could mean moving on from Elvis NEXT summer and not this summer, sure.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Last time we had a thread like this it was created by a JR agent in an agency trying to raise interest in his client

• Wow
Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad