Proposal: Habs 5th for Farabee and Frost

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Hey Chief, you can keep using the laughing emoji all you want but you've not actually rebutted anything. If the No. 5 pick was a guaranteed 1st line player, Montreal would have 30 of them given where they draft every year.
Habs drafted 5 times in the top 5 in the last 20 years (6 in the last 40 years) but please keep on being clueless

Reactions: viceroy

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Today its not.

But looking at roster pretty obvious you need more help at W vs D:

D Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Struble, Harris, Arber, Kovacevic, Barron. Thats 8

Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher. 11 Just the bigger names.

Need 6

W) CC, Slafkovsky, Newhook (30 pts) and?

Need 8

Get help at W… and dont draft a D at 5th oa

Finding top pairing right hand Ds is much much more difficult then finding top 6 wingers.

Nothing wrong with rebuilding through defense, they are harder to find and more valuable and take longer to develop. You can draft forwards later and trade Ds to patch the wholes up front

Reactions: viceroy

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Today its not.

But looking at roster pretty obvious you need more help at W vs D:

D Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Struble, Harris, Arber, Kovacevic, Barron. Thats 8

Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher. 11 Just the bigger names.

Need 6

W) CC, Slafkovsky, Newhook (30 pts) and?

Need 8

Get help at W… and dont draft a D at 5th oa
Of course they need to draft a foward this years. If they draft a dman, major move will need to be made

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Of course they need to draft a foward this years. If they draft a dman, major move will need to be made
No...

You draft the BPA. Or you trade down to gather assets.

You don't draft for needs at 5OA. If Levshunov oa there becaise the draft goes

Celebrine
Demidov
Lindstrom
Silayev
(For exemple)

You either draft him or you look at other trams for a pick around 8-9-10 + their 1st in 2025

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If i had a dollar for every drafted player that didn't live up to their hype, I'd buy twitter and make billions....

Mickov can be a monster...or a one trick pony. Leonard can be a 30 goal scorer or another 15 goal bottom 6. Reinbacher can be a top 2 or afraid of his own shadow after a few plasterings.

Nobody knows what these kids will be like until they meet those hungry Neaderthals with sticks on frozen water.

That is also the reason i like trades for youngsters who have experienced getting clubbed in the NHL.

As for the trade, Farabee or Foester are the main meal and Frost is a side dish.

As for trading down with Philly, NO. We have no idea who is going to be left at 12. Even if you throw in Farabee/Foester, we can land up with a choice of duds. Remember, according to Doober Report studies, only 37% of first rounders play more then a 100 NHL games. Obviously the lower you ho, the worse the number.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Habs don't trade the pick to Philly unless Foerster and their 1st is coming Habs way.

Same for NJ or any team that wants to move up to that spot. Itll cost them their 1st and a young (22 and younger) middle 6 roster player. Habs can add some 2nd rder or B prospects to the deal like Strubble, Barron, Farrel
Random callout but I'll allow it.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No...

You draft the BPA. Or you trade down to gather assets.

You don't draft for needs at 5OA. If Levshunov oa there becaise the draft goes

Celebrine
Demidov
Lindstrom
Silayev

(For exemple)

You either draft him or you look at other trams for a pick around 8-9-10 + their 1st in 2025
You draft Levshunov and run...

According to some reports Levs is another Hedman, or at least Hedman Lite. We keep him or in a few years, trade him for a top young center like a Fantilli then a Zegras.

Also if Levs drops into our slot, the price will be far higher then my proposal.

This draft is full of dread...and opportunity.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Finding top pairing right hand Ds is much much more difficult then finding top 6 wingers.

Nothing wrong with rebuilding through defense, they are harder to find and more valuable and take longer to develop. You can draft forwards later and trade Ds to patch the wholes up front
That rd stuff is a little too much.
24: 3 of consensus top 6 dmen are rd
Next 4 are all rd

23: 4rd in first round out of 8 dmen
22 draft 9 dmen picked, 4 rd

Rd are everywhere.

You need 6 dmen and 8 wingers. Got to have some balanced approach.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Because you're acting like you know Michkov and Leonard will definitely be better NHL'ers than Reinbacker. We're talking about 19 year old kids that haven't even laced up their skates in the NHL yet. Maybe wait a few years before trying to dunk on Montreal for taking Reinbacker at 5
You better take a look at the Habs site. A lot of unhappy fans there. I hope Reinbacker knocks it out of the park for you but if there was a redraft of the 2023 1st round do you think you still take him at 5? Not a shot they do.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Morgan frost? Really? Farabees something but frost shouldn’t be mentioned when talking a top t5pick. Not even close

we’re just scared to pick high at this point

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
In a real world scenario outside of the garbage pile that are the flyers and their coaching staff right now, Farabee alone has enough value to build around for a fifth overall pick in this draft. He could have easily reached 60 or 70 points this season if Tortorella wasn't a knucklehead. If you know you know and if you don't you think he's just a 20 goal scorer.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
What a weird and bad proposal. No reason for either team to consider. For the Habs, the value is f***ed up. For the Flyers...they literally only have RWs (Michkov, Konecny, Tippett, Foerster, Brink, Atkinson, Hathaway). So trading their only good LW and C seems like a bad idea.

In a real world scenario outside of the garbage pile that are the flyers and their coaching staff right now, Farabee alone has enough value to build around for a fifth overall pick in this draft. He could have easily reached 60 or 70 points this season if Tortorella wasn't a knucklehead. If you know you know and if you don't you think he's just a 20 goal scorer.

This. Frost and Farabee alike are both very, very skilled players who play in a directionless franchise that doesn't know how to actually utilize skill. Anemic powerplay, terrible player usage. Elite talents they are not, but they're both 60ish point top 6 guys on a normal NHL franchise.

Both suffer from the fact that the Flyers employ a lot of idiots both off and on the ice. Guys like Farabee and Frost require other dudes with brains to be effective. Both of them worked well with Giroux—hell, Claude said he thought Farabee would be the one to surpass his Flyers franchise point totals.

Problem is, there are about 4 players on the team who can actually think through a passing sequence. Tippett, Foerster, Konecny, even Couturier? Even when effective, those guys are morons in the offensive zone. Catch and shoot, nothing else (and if seeing Couturier there surprises you, recall that his 70+ point seasons came on a line with Giroux and Voracek—they handled all the thinking for him. When he's expected to be the playmaker on a line, he's atrocious).

Farabee was off to a lightning start playing with Brink, who is one of those few clever guys, until Torts soured on Brink's BALLSINESS or whatever and demoted/benched/sent down.

The very, very brief glimmer this season where the Flyers PP ran at roughly league average for a couple weeks came when they put Drysdale and Frost on the same unit and those two were able to rotate with each other and set up good looks.

Otherwise, they're just playing a different sport/in a different era than the rest of their team. The Flyers get almost all of their scoring in transition and very rarely hold sustained zone time. All chasing and shooting, very little patience and precision. Torts demands an active, inefficient forecheck: If you're not running into something in a corner, you're just not Playing the Right Way. Farabee and Frost, on the other hand, both function better when they forecheck high in the zone and read/intercept breakout passes—Frost is particularly brilliant at that. It's a great talent to have! But it's just not how the team wants them to play.

TL;DR is that the Flyers are a franchise run by retrograde idiots who assemble rosters full of one-dimensonal idiots and get mad when the non-idiot players try to play anything other than idiot hockey.

Last edited:

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
As a Flyers fan and a fan of chaos, I do it just to see what a team made up almost entirely of right wings would look like.

Reactions: Fledgemyhedge

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
After Demidov and with rumours that Lindstrom may, repeat, may have back problem, i don't like the Russian roulette of available forwards.

So within my nature of picking the safe route and solving the Habs offensive needs i propose...

Habs 5th

For

Philly's Farabee and Frost

Reasoning is simple. Unless Levshunov falls into our hands, Habs need forwards more then one more defenseman in the boatload of defenseman we already have. No one past Demidov and celebrini brings highly probable forward star potential. Yes, lots of hopium but not great probability of what the 5th overall certainty it should bring. Farabee provides a young scoring winger and Frost is not Dach, but he's a slam dunk young 3C with maybe a bit of potential for a 2C plus some security IF Dach is injury prone.

Philly gets to draft a franchise defenseman at 5th and the loss of offense is more then made up by Michkov, (the guy that should be wearing Hab colours. Yes, I'm still bitter.)

Soooo...is this a fair proposal?

Why not?

Whose on the "winning" side.

Or is it fair?
Habs say no

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
Despite being dicked around by Torts, he has scored at 2.03 P/60 at ES over the past two seasons.

That's the same rate as Suzuki.

Suzuki is always matched against the other team's best line though. I remember some broadcaster showing the stats at like 2/3rd of the season and he had the 3rd best opposition in the league among all forwards. I don't know Frost a lot maybe its the same for him but that needs to be taken into consideration when talking about p/60.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad