Value of: Habs moving up using the WPG 2024 1st (#26) + CAL/FLA 2025 1st + MTL 2024 3rd + PIT 2025 2nd

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
How far can Montreal go up from their second 1st rounder this year (WPG #26) using the following package.

1. WPG 2024 1st (#26)
  2. CAL/FLA 2025 1st (Top 10 CAL protected, if CAL finishes inside the top 10 pick becomes FLA).
  3. MTL 2024 3rd
  4. PIT 2025 2nd
Would a team in the top 15 take that package to go down and pick 26?

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Why would they want to? That's a crazy amount of draft capital and that Calgary pick; if it is Calgary's, could easily be a top 15 pick on it's own

With the Habs still needing another full season or two to solidify their prospect core and shaking out a few meh contracts or at least come closer to those contracts being palatable for other teams to look for; losing that kind of draft capital just to move up in a very meh draft seems like trying to sleep your way to the middle

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
taked the MTL 2024 3rd and add MTL 2025 2nd and I think you might find interest from Minnesota and Buffalo. Both their needs are at center and if they picked for other needs it would be a reach at their position at the draft.

More chance of them doing it if Helenius and Nygard aren't available at their pick.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Value is fair to get to 10th, NJD may consider depending on who is available when we make the pick.

You'd be looking at that 9th-13th range with that package, depending on how the florida pick is valued.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Why would they want to? That's a crazy amount of draft capital and that Calgary pick; if it is Calgary's, could easily be a top 15 pick on it's own

With the Habs still needing another full season or two to solidify their prospect core and shaking out a few meh contracts or at least come closer to those contracts being palatable for other teams to look for; losing that kind of draft capital just to move up in a very meh draft seems like trying to sleep your way to the middle
I think Calgary is going to be near the bottom of the league next year so that would mean getting Florida's pick which would be on the opposite end of the 1st round.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Value is fair to get to 10th, NJD may consider depending on who is available when we make the pick.

You'd be looking at that 8th-12th range with that package
From my view

Kraken would definitely say no
Flames would definitely say no
I think Devils would want a player coming back, not draft picks.
Sabres is a possibility
Philly would want to keep their pick
Wild is possibility
Yzerman would want a Player coming back

Reactions: Hobnobs

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I think Calgary is going to be near the bottom of the league next year so that would mean getting Florida's pick which would be on the opposite end of the 1st round.
Unfortunately, Calgary has this amazing ability to play themselves out of contention by winning games they shouldn't against teams they shouldn't in no win scenarios.

Hoping for a Calgary team to finish drafting top 10 could easily turn in to pick #11 rom the flames as much as say pick 28 from Florida

Reactions: Guess

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
From my view

Sabres is a possibility
Wild is possibility
I think replace the 3rd with a guy like Evans and the 2nd with a prospect like beck and NJD would bite 100%

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017

We got a good prospect pool and a lot of picks in the next couple years. All these picks are surplus picks. We still gonna have a a 3rd and a 2nd in those drafts even after trading these ones. It's time to consolidate.

We need top end talent, there's a lot of potential game-breaker in the top 12, Let's consolidate and draft 2 of those.

Yes, this is a big package but you have to give to get. I know the typical offer of WPG 1st + Barron/Harris/Struble is what a lot of Habs fans want to throw out but that's nowhere near enough. Whatever team that would trade their top pick this year will lose out on drafting a forward like Catton/Eiserman/Helenius/Eiserman/Nygard/Sennecke or a potential top D like Buium/Dickinson/Parekh/Yakemchuk. For trading down out of that groupe you're gonna need to receive something serious in return, not Barron/Harris/Struble.

Which player do NJ fans think would have to be available at 10 for NJ to turn down this offer?

I think replace the 3rd with a guy like Evans and the 2nd with a prospect like beck and NJD would bite 100%
Maybe the Habs GM would be okay with that but trying to get a Habs fan to trade Beck is like trying to take a steak away from a hungry wolf.

For the 10th pick? Deal.

At 10, we'd get to pick one of Catton/Helenius/Sennecke/Buium/Dickinson/Parekh/Yakemchuk.

Losing Owen Beck isn't gonna stop me from getting one of those. Beck is gonna be a (potentially very good) bottom 6 player but we already have a couple good prospects for the bottom 6. Habs are lacking on top end talent, losing 1 of our multiple bottom 6 prospect to roll the dice on a top-tier talent is something I'm cool with.

1716350145059.gif

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

You'd be looking at that 9th-13th range with that package, depending on how the florida pick is valued.
That's absurd, hell no.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That's absurd, hell no.
That's objectively what it costs to move up 16 spots.
Screen Shot 2024-05-22 at 7.48.53 AM.png

We got a good prospect pool and a lot of picks in the next couple years. All these picks are surplus picks. We still gonna have a a 3rd and a 2nd in those drafts even after trading these ones. It's time to consolidate.

We need top end talent, there's a lot of potential game-breaker in the top 12, Let's consolidate and draft 2 of those.

Yes, this is a big package but you have to give to get. I know the typical offer of WPG 1st + Barron/Harris/Struble is what a lot of Habs fans want to throw out but that's nowhere near enough. Whatever team that would trade their top pick this year will lose out on drafting a forward like Catton/Eiserman/Helenius/Eiserman/Nygard/Sennecke or a potential top D like Buium/Dickinson/Parekh/Yakemchuk. For trading down out of that groupe you're gonna need to receive something serious in return, not Barron/Harris/Struble.

Which player do NJ fans think would have to be available at 10 for NJ to turn down this offer?

For the 10th pick? Deal.

At 10, we'd get to pick one of Catton/Helenius/Sennecke/Buium/Dickinson/Parekh/Yakemchuk.

Losing Owen Beck isn't gonna stop me from getting one of those. Beck is gonna be a (potentially very good) bottom 6 player but we already have a couple good prospects for the bottom 6. Habs are lacking on top end talent, losing 1 of our multiple bottom 6 prospect to roll the dice on a top-tier talent is something I'm cool with.

View attachment 874160
If Sam Dickinson is on the board I'm turning it down 100% and picking him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That's objectively what it costs to move up 16 spots. View attachment 874201

If Sam Dickinson is on the board I'm turning it down 100% and picking him.
The term "objective" can't be applied here at all. That's a rough estimation based on previous drafts. Or does the 2011 1st overall equal 2015 1st overall in your mind? You're also mistaking 2025 1st round pick (spot yet to be determined) for 25th overall this year.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
For the 10th pick? Deal.

Nahhh Beck is not going anywhere ,

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
From my view

Sabres is a possibility
Wild is possibility
SJ would be interested imo.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
How far can Montreal go up from their second 1st rounder this year (WPG #26) using the following package.

1. WPG 2024 1st (#26)
  2. CAL/FLA 2025 1st (Top 10 CAL protected, if CAL finishes inside the top 10 pick becomes FLA).
  3. MTL 2024 3rd
  4. PIT 2025 2nd
Would a team in the top 15 take that package to go down and pick 26?
Habs be crazy to move that Flames pick. Pretty good chance that's a lottery pick. Calgary is rebuilding and Florida has to make major changes to roster this off season

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We don't have enough of these.. We should create a thread and just change up package up, twice a day, at minimum.

Reactions: crowi and Grinner

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Imagine trading all that and CGY/FLA 2025 1st ends up being an 11th overall pick, in exchange for a 10-15 pick. There's no way CGY/FLA pick is getting traded with the presumption it's a low 1st.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't understand the allure of getting another high pick in a weak draft. Just trust your scouting and get a lot of free prospects.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The term "objective" can't be applied here at all. That's a rough estimation based on previous drafts. Or does the 2011 1st overall equal 2015 1st overall in your mind? You're also mistaking 2025 1st round pick (spot yet to be determined) for 25th overall this year.
It is an estimation of how teams will value it. Future picks are worth less than picks right now. Or do Montreal fans want to pretend it's going to be 11th overall? You're welcome to put some protections on it in that case.

The florida panthers are a powerhouse.

way tooo much.

Two late 1sts picks gets you a middle pick.
2 late 1sts gets you a middle pick yes, but not into the top 10. Some more value is required there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad