Has hockey gained popularity since scoring levels increased?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For the longest time the argument was to gain popularity scoring needs to increase. Well in the last 4 or so seasons it has. Are there any stats showing that hockey gained in popularity in the last few years? Has enough time passed?

Reactions: thrillhous

nhlanon1

Oct 15, 2023
As a somewhat casual fan, I don't really see any increased interest in hockey. It has nothing to do with goals or really anything the NHL can control.

You need to have a lot of equipment to play hockey and you need things like rinks that aren't going to be available in many areas. A lot of people are going to be lost at that level alone.

Next, the NHL was basically locked out of mainstream coverage during their last TV deal. ESPN never covered it when they didn't have the rights to it and FS1 never really covered it. It doesn't matter how exciting your game is (see Slamball), if the talking heads like Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith don't cover it in the US, it won't go anywhere.

The next problem is that we are entering a post-cable era. While that has benefits like us being able to see all the games easy on ESPN+ and stuff, everything is going to be behind paywalls. And if you don't have a sub to that streaming service or your friend doesn't, they aren't watching it. I can't get my friends to watch youtube clips of things. Getting them to pay to watch stuff is never going to happen.

Demographics are also going to be a major problem going forward for every type of entertainment to grow. It's going to be very hard to appeal to people who speak different languages, have no real backgrounds with hockey, have very different lifestyles and have a million different free entertainment options to choose from.

Last edited:

Bard Marchand

Oct 24, 2023
I follow hockey all day every day on here and other social media. I listen to multiple hockey podcasts. I try to watch games from other markets if I have the time.

Then I gotta remind myself when I am in the real world talking to actual people, nobody else seems to give two bits about hockey or even know ANYTHING about it.

I saw a woman wearing a Habs hat a while ago. I nodded at her and went, "Oh, do you like the Canadiens?"

Her response was, "Oh. Canadians. Yes. Uh, Trudeau, I like him."

At the time I was really confused by her, and it only hit me later on that she somehow knew who Justin Trudeau was but she didn't know that the hat she was wearing was representing the Montreal Canadiens.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
The younger generation is doing fine. You have some pretty popular influencers posting some hockey related stuff on social media. The problem is that media appeal like the podcasts, social media pages and stuff are still somewhat behind.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I have no idea the level of popularity and if if has increased or not. All I know is as per Twitter, the New Jersey Devils have gained popularity 10 fold with 13-18 year old girls/women in the last 3 years.... and it's weird.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I have no idea the level of popularity and if if has increased or not. All I know is as per Twitter, the New Jersey Devils have gained popularity 10 fold with 13-18 year old girls/women in the last 3 years.... and it's weird.
This is true. I was at some high school baseball games in South Alabama over spring break and saw a couple of teenage girls with Devils gear.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Because J Hughes is bae. Seriously though, can’t hurt having a more charismatic guy lead the squad outta the doldrums.

I’d say hockey is more interesting to the casual fan now. I don’t think the league has necessarily done a good job highlighting the increased skill and scoring, but I think a random person with passing interest would enjoy a game now more than in the ‘90s.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
As a somewhat casual fan, I don't really see any increased interest in hockey. It has nothing to do with goals or really anything the NHL can control.

You need to have a lot of equipment to play hockey and you need things like rinks that aren't going to be available in many areas. A lot of people are going to be lost at that level alone.

Next, the NHL was basically locked out of mainstream coverage during their last TV deal. ESPN never covered it when they didn't have the rights to it and FS1 never really covered it. It doesn't matter how exciting your game is (see Slamball), if the talking heads like Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith don't cover it in the US, it won't go anywhere.

The next problem is that we are entering a post-cable era. While that has benefits like us being able to see all the games easy on ESPN+ and stuff, everything is going to be behind paywalls. And if you don't have a sub to that streaming service or your friend doesn't, they aren't watching it. I can't get my friends to watch youtube clips of things. Getting them to pay to watch stuff is never going to happen.

Demographics are also going to be a major problem going forward for every type of entertainment to grow. It's going to be very hard to appeal to people who speak different languages, have no real backgrounds with hockey, have very different lifestyles and have a million different free entertainment options to choose from.
On point #1- I think as tenured fans of hockey and the NHL, the increased scoring has been a treat.

For the new fans, they’ll quickly learn to love the way hockey is played now. Fast, skilled and entertaining. The McDavids and Mackinnons definitely draw new fans.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
On point #1- I think as tenured fans of hockey and the NHL, the increased scoring has been a treat.

For the new fans, they’ll quickly learn to love the way hockey is played now. Fast, skilled and entertaining. The McDavids and Mackinnons definitely draw new fans.
i actually hate the increased scoring because it makes the league a god damn joke

32 teams (soon THIRTY FOUR) is already enough. This sport is already not as large as it can be yet Gary Buttman truly thinks it can be 3rd? GTFO

Reactions: Nfumass

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
It's probably less popular every year, in Canada and the States. I don't think it's a quality of product issue. Honestly, if my mother didn't go to Ferris State and get me into Hockey as a kid on a great rink, I probably would have never become a fan.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Well, I haven't watched a Sharks or any hockey game since the middle of January so in essence, the NHL has lost a fan.
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad