Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2023-24 Seasons | Hershey 12x (and Defending) Champions Edition

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Matthew Phillips has 243 points in 273 AHL games. If they started Cristal over him or Miro it might be the stupidest coaching decision of the year.
I get it, but it does absolutely nothing to help Washington. And Phillips hasn’t spent a lot of time in Hershey.

Of course Hershey needs to do what’s best for them, but I am sick and tired of Phillips.

• Haha
Reactions: Hivemind

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I get it, but it does absolutely nothing to help Washington. And Phillips hasn’t spent a lot of time in Hershey.

Of course Hershey needs to do what’s best for them, but I am sick and tired of Phillips.
What helps the Caps is a long playoff run with a possible repeat calder cup. Worked wonders for all the graduates this year. Cristal is 19 and going back to juniors next year. Getting slapped around in a couple playoff games doesn't really do much for his development. He'll have his day in Hershey but it's not yet.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What helps the Caps is a long playoff run with a possible repeat calder cup. Worked wonders for all the graduates this year. Cristal is 19 and going back to juniors next year. Getting slapped around in a couple playoff games doesn't really do much for his development. He'll have his day in Hershey but it's not yet.
Agreed. Cristall simply isn’t ready. Nowhere near strong or physical enough for a men’s pro league.

Happy he will get a chance to practice with them /be an injury fill in — but that’s about it.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Over guys who have earned their stripes this year? I'd say it's probably pretty unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised to see Miro in and out of the lineup. Bears are built to repeat this year.
I can’t imagine Miro not being an every night player if healthy. He may get moved around but the top 12 is strong.

I do think they’ll get Roe and Rybinski in on 4th line to keep them engaged. They earned it and they are good.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

Phillips is worth a two-way contract. Will be like Joe Snively this year. Great AHL player who can come up but probably won’t. We need those guys.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Is he definitely going back to juniors next year? Is that due to contractual obligations?

Reactions: Holtbyisms

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Is he definitely going back to juniors next year? Is that due to contractual obligations?
You have to be 20 by Jan 1 to go from CHL to AHL. Cristal misses that by a month.

but then i looked it up and there is also an “or played 4 seasons in CHL”. Cristal has played 4 seasons in WHL including 2020-2021 when he played 14 games in a shortened season.

So now i am thinking he is eligible for AHL next year. His contract slides as well so next year will be the first year of his 3 year entry contract.

Reactions: bacchist

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't suppose the quality of AHL.tv's streams has improved since last year? IMO, the feeds were surprisingly awful when I watched last season's playoffs. Watching the games on anything bigger than an iPad screen was murder on the eyes.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
How can he be eligible for the playoffs but the next years regualr season?
Because his WHL season is over. When it resumes next year he's obligated to return to the WHL or go to DC based on the CHL-NHL transfer agreement due to his age.

Edit: Also for anyone insinuating he's reached the 4 season threshold and can be eligible that way, I believe the CHL governing body has stated before that 25 games is the cutoff for a season when it comes to eligibility.

Last edited:

MFHOOD

Apr 29, 2024
I don't suppose the quality of AHL.tv's streams has improved since last year? IMO, the feeds were surprisingly awful when I watched last season's playoffs. Watching the games on anything bigger than an iPad screen was murder on the eyes.

I would say in general, they are a little better, surprisingly. They used to freeze and buffer CONSTANTLY, I haven't really experienced too much of that this year. Mostly just at the very beginning. I've been watching the last two or so months straight.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

For those wishing to follow along with the Hershey Bears’ attempt to repeat as Calder Cup champions, you’re in luck.

Monumental Sports Network, in conjunction with WPMT FOX43, will be airing all of the team’s playoff games starting tonight against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. The Game One matchup is Hershey’s first of the postseason after they earned a first-round bye by winning the Atlantic Division.

Puck drop for Game One is set for 7 pm inside of Giant Center. Zack Fisch will call all of the action with AHL Hall of Famer Mitch Lamoureux, former Bears and Washington Capitals forward Garrett Mitchell, and FOX43’s Todd Sadowski providing analysis.

Hershey playoff games can also be heard on Caps Radio 24/7. You can stream the games online via Monumental’s digital streaming platform or AHL TV’s streaming service.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad