Speculation: How dangerous will the Utah team be during the off season?

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

Owner is looking to make a splash and so this off season we have a team that usually has no money to spend on the open market suddenly have an aggressive owner who wants to field a competitive team sooner than later. So far I see fans of most teams trying to dump bad contract and bad players on Utah. I can see them tossing a wrench in the plans of teams and causing prices for both UFAS and RFAS. Might just be me but I could see Utah going the offer sheet route to grab a player from a team that might not be able match the offer. I can see this being a very interesting off season how what Utah does causing other teams to change their plans

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
They won't offer sheet with their 1st rounder for sure. It is quite plausible they don't make the playoffs again next year, so risking your 1st is stupidity.

They'll be active using their picks, but offer sheeting with their 1st would be madness. I suspect the new owner would like the 1st to draft their first ever player in Utah as that's great PR.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
They won't offer sheet with their 1st rounder for sure. It is quite plausible they don't make the playoffs again next year, so risking your 1st is stupidity.

They'll be active using their picks, but offer sheeting with their 1st would be madness. I suspect the new owner would like the 1st to draft their first ever player in Utah as that's great PR.

Based upon what has been said about the Utah owner. I can see him going the way of the Vegas model of trying to win

Reactions: RogerRoger

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
They certainly have the draft capital to do something big, but that something big doesn’t have to be this off-season.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I think they want to hit the ice in Utah and win. So everything and anything on the table

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
For their fans' sake, they're hopefully not too "Dangerous". They've got a ton of cap space and the UFA pool is, as usual, mediocre. Teams going big in UFA typically end up regretting it quickly.

Now, if they started using those picks to acquire young talent that other teams have to give up, that's a different story.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Kaizen

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
More deft, good value trades like last summer, i.e., 2nd rounder for Sean Durzi. That's way better than paying like 7 million for someone 5 years older in UFA.

Reactions: Jakey53 and cslebn

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Would Utah be interested in Ramus Andersson,

Utah first round pick this year for Andersson+.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaizen

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
They were a bubble team until 0 for Feburary. They will be a playoff team by bringing in an improvement to Dermott, Brown, and Dumba positions. They'll have ELCs to bring in and are so far under the cap, that they can spend money in free agency. What they will/can do during free agency is dependent on what trades they can pull off during the draft and with teams dealing with their own cap problems to get ready for when free agency starts.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not so sure they'll go offer sheet route, but I suspect they will be very aggressive both in trade and UFA targets... Which will drive up the costs for other teams.

Add to that the big cap bump, and this could be the most explosive offseason ever.

Bet on at least 2-3 GMs pulling Millbury-esque panic moves

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think they're just going to overpay the hell out of 2-3 UFAs and if they're smart it will be on short term deals. Then something like a pair of 2nds for a young forward someone is looking to move on from, Kaliyev wouldn't take that much but something of that ilk. Potentially packaging those 2nds to move into the mid 1st this year as well. They finished too far away I think to be dealing any of their own 1sts just yet

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I think Utah can be an aggressive team with cap space and draft capital, but they need to be smart about it. Spending big money in FA isn’t the way to go. Get your depth in FA and use some of your players + draft picks to trade for elite/high talent.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Based upon what has been said about the Utah owner. I can see him going the way of the Vegas model of trying to win
You mean the owner that wanted to take his basketball team through a full rebuild so they could build a champion the right way instead of just being mediocre and making the playoffs?

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
The Jets may have players that might strengthen Utah. Both Dillon and Demelo are UFA and defensemen. Demelo can play up and down the lines and is consistent. I'm hoping that the Jets re-sign him.
Ehlers a top 6 forward may be shopped around as he has 1 year left before UFA.
I would assume there are several teams that have UFAs or players with only 1 year left that Utah could poach with their cap space and draft pool/ prospects and instantly improve their team quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad