Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Fairly

Votes: 57 44.2%
  • Underrated

Votes: 12 9.3%

• Total voters

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
He’s a great player, but given his contract and tendency to be a non factor when you need him shining - overrated.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I think fairly. Everyone knows he'll produce a lot of points in the regular season but will become a secondary player in the playoffs.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Fair sounds about right.

Most probably view him as a regular season star scorer who goes missing when it actually matters,

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
he's rated fairly. He is a manchild who can make high iq plays. He needs to play under a coach that doesn't accept his weak mentality. Break his spirit and mold him into a warrior. Or he can pull a JonnnyHockey and play in a small market for a cool 10mil+ yearly.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
he went from massively overrated to pretty close to fairly rated now. even the most hardcore leaf fans can now see his flaws. he'll get trashed after he moves on from toronto but then i think he'll be fairly rated if he lands somewhere outside canada.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Talented but terrible playoff player. Entitled and defiant. I wouldn't want him on my team. Considering how much he produces in the regular season, that's saying a lot.

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
One of the best two-way wingers in the league. Dynamic playmaking star who can log huge minutes and be used effectively in any game situation. Would be clearly the best forward on many teams in the league.

Very underwhelming in the playoffs and absolutely deserving of criticism for not elevating or maintaining his effectiveness when the pressure and physicality and intensity of the games is ratcheted up.

So…fairly? I would lean overrated because at this point to maintain such a lofty perch you want to see more meat on the bone in the playoffs. But then you have people saying stuff like “wouldn’t take him on my team for free”…so the hyperbole tends to balance out the lack of clutchness in terms of perception.

The best is TML fans arguing he’s a top 5-esque winger in the league every summer and fall when everybody loves to make rankings…and then the same fanbase absolutely destroys him every spring and wants to trade him for a ham sandwich. Rinse and repeat.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
He's fine if he accepts a trade then don't care what Mitchy does but we need something back that moves us forward. Weakest Leaf since Antropov in my opinion.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Talented but terrible playoff player. Entitled and defiant. I wouldn't want him on my team. Considering how much he produces in the regular season, that's saying a lot.

And Matthews sees a much larger drop from regular to playoffs, yet him you want because "he's so elite at trying". :laugh:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
For years a lot of people were saying he's superior player to Rantanen. During that time, he was overrated by those people.

Rantanen has 32+64=96 in 75 games in the playoffs.

Marner has 11+39=50 in 55 games in the playoffs.

RS means a lot since it's the largest sample size, but that' s difference that Marner will never be able to close by being great in RS. Rantanen is playing elite HoF level hockey in the playoffs. Marner drops in production and effort level.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Leaf fans legit said he was better than Drai and Rantanen for multiple years so back then he was severely overrated.

That said, I think people know what he is now and he’s fairly rated.

I think this was more a case of Drai being underrated still a few years ago, than anyone overrating Marner. Drai really broke out big time in the 2019-2020 season when he swept awards, but before that it was closer.

Same for Ranta too, being underrated for a while.

I think Marner is terrific, extremely consistent, and mostly rated fine. He's obviously been dissapointing in the playoffs, but no one really argues different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad